Page 1 of 75 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit.

Default Brexit.

Did a search on the term "Brexit" and came up empty. If there already is a suitable ongoing thread please merge.

EU's Tusk says 'no deal' after Brexit dinner with Cameron

European Council president and U.K. prime minister fail to agree in dinner on membership renegotiation.

Tusk, who had hoped to present the proposals to the other 27 EU countries on Monday, ahead of a “Brexit” summit on February 18, left the dinner in Downing Street after two hours telling reporters: “No deal.” He then tweeted: “No deal yet. Intensive work in next 24 [hours] crucial.”

Shortly afterwards, Cameron tweeted: “Good meeting with @eucopresident, who has agreed to another 24 hours of talks before publishing the draft U.K. renegotiation text.”
    A diplomat involved in the negotiations said they decided to try to fix the remaining issues on Monday after consulting French President François Hollande and German Chancellor Angela Merkel on details regarding welfare in the U.K. for EU migrants.
    “Tusk wants to see where the member states are,” said the diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity.
    It was not immediately clear what was holding up progress, but Cameron had been expected to press Tusk at the meeting to restrict benefits for EU migrants to the U.K. for the next seven years, according to officials involved in the negotiations.

Read More on http://www.politico.eu/article/eus-tusk-says-no-deal-after-brexit-dinner-with-cameron
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Default Re: Brexit.

There is a thread here:

http://www.politicalworld.org/showth...5#.Vq6lkeaaPOA

Bear in mind "Brexit" is a relatively new expression in the lexicon.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

The term is widely understood in the US. 5,400,000 results on a Google search. But then if it weren't for the US, English might be extinct today.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    The term is widely understood in the US. 5,400,000 results on a Google search. But then if it weren't for the US, English might be extinct today.
    Google search result numbers mean d.ick all, and some of us on this forum are very old (some of us think of the fall of the former Soviet Union as though it happened last month, ho ho ho ).

But anyway, fwiw, this article claims that the expression's provenance is comparatively recent:

Background – Brexit and Brixit

The terms Brexit and Brixit first appeared in June 2012, the latter allegedly coined by a columnist in The Economist (as referenced in the second citation above), and the former by nationalist organization The British Resistance.
    http://www.macmillandictionary.com/b...es/brexit.html
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

The US keeps the Economist afloat, so they tailor their language to appeal to a US audience.

Circulation is audited by the Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC). From around 30,000 in 1960 it has risen to near 1 million by 2000 and by 2012 to about 1.5 million.[citation needed] Sales inside North America were in 2007 around 54 percent of the total, with sales in the UK making up 14 percent of the total and continental Europe 19 percent. The Economist claims sales, both by subscription and at newsagents, in over 200 countries. Of its American readers, two out of three make more than $100,000 a year.[7]

Brexit is widely used and understood here. The link is to a recent article in The Farmers' Journal, of all things

"Back in 1975 when the last referendum was carried so comfortably, European integration looked like the future and its opponents like little Englanders, a Dad’s Army of xenophobes.
    The probability that Britain might exit the European Union has risen to about 40% according to the bookmakers’ odds. A year ago, the same probability was below 20%.
    The referendum will most likely take place later this year, possibly as early as the summer, and David Cameron is hoping to secure the agreement of his European counterparts on his reform shopping list at the EU summit on 18 and 19 February.
    Political commentators expect Cameron to deem his requirements to be met and he will then campaign in favour of continued British membership. As many as half of the Conservative party’s MPs are likely to take the opposite view and a minority of Labour members are also lukewarm about Europe."

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/colm-mc...horter-198920/

Quote Originally Posted by Spectabilis View Post
    Brexit is widely used and understood here. The link is to a recent article in The Farmers' Journal, of all things.
    A link to an article from 2016? As I said, the expression has relatively recent provenance.

That Farmers' Journal article, written by Colm McCarthy, over-simplifies the 1975 debate in the UK. Many of its opponents were very far from the stereotype that he portrays. He also fails to point out that the 1975 referendum was retro-active. The UK had already been entered into the EEC by its government before the referendum took place!

In any case, can we go ahead and amalgamate this thread into the other thread.
    Last edited by pluralist; 01-02-2016 at 02:19 AM.

While i have no objection in principle to merging the threads, I'll note that the title of the other thread limits discussion to the impact on Ireland, and it had only 5 posts in all of 2015, none by the thread starter. I think there should be room for discussion on the impact on Europe, which will not be negligible.

While i have no objection in principle to merging the threads, I'll note that the title of the other thread limits discussion to the impact on Ireland, and it had only 5 posts in all of 2015, none by the thread starter. I think there should be room for discussion on the impact on Europe, which will not be negligible.
    Brexit is probably a sensible title, if the expression has entered the lexicon, which I guess it has.

Possibly if someone could amalgamate the posts from the other thread into this thread?

But then if it weren't for the US, English might be extinct today.

There are so few posts because it's not going to happen... not least because you you guys. The yanks have made threats that Britain will be treated like "China, or Brazil or India" should they leave the EU.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post

There are so few posts because it's not going to happen... not least because you you guys. The yanks have made threats that Britain will be treated like "China, or Brazil or India" should they leave the EU.
    What year do you think this is, 1985?

China, Brazil and India are on a rising trend path. We are witnessing the long term transfer of economic and political power from
    West to East. This is obvious - I've seen it, done the math, witnessed it for myself, in numerous industries and countries.

You need to put down the Tom Clancy pot-boilers and see the world as it is. If you must read pot-boilers, then I recommend: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...e-of-the-tiger .

I am not particularly making an argument in favour of 'Brexit', btw. I am merely pointing out that the US 'threats' you refer to are an argument in favour, rather than, as you assume, an argument against 'Brexit'.
    Last edited by pluralist; 01-02-2016 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    What year do you think this is, 1985?

China, Brazil and India are on a rising trend path
    Not Tom Clancy, The Guardian:

US warns Britain: If you leave EU you face barriers to trading with America

Trade representative Michael Froman says UK would face same tariffs and barriers as China, Brazil or India in the event of Brexit
    You need to put down the Tom Clancy pot-boilers and see the world as it is.
    Since gay readers have picked Tom Clancy as their favourite author I wouldn't touch his "pot-boilers" with a twelve-foot barge pole!
    Last edited by TotalMayhem; 01-02-2016 at 02:33 AM.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    Right. So apart from everything else, you are a homophobe. But you despise Putin and Russia, who are also homophobic.

You're a walking contradiction, mate.

Right. So apart from everything else, you are a homophobe.
    Yes, and I am also an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Page 1 of 75 1231151 ... LastLast