Thread: Tipperary hydro electricity plant announced

Default Tipperary hydro electricity plant announced

Alan Kelly's back garden on the eve of an election

This is a pumped storage solution which will use electricity at off peak times to pump the water to create electricity at peak demand times

I am no expert but assume if used in tandem with suitable wind generation it could end up as an environmental positive

But in Ireland probably not

Minister for the Environment Alan Kelly has described a proposed €650 million hydro-electric plant which will create 400 construction jobs and 50 permanent jobs on a disused mining site as a “win-win” project.

Alan Kelly, in whose Tipperary constituency the development will take place, said the Government’s white paper on energy recommended the establishment of such renewable energy sources.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/e...rary-1.2492364
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Default Re: Tipperary hydro electricity plant announced

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    Alan Kelly's back garden on the eve of an election

This is a pumped storage solution which will use electricity at off peak times to pump the water to create electricity at peak demand times

I am no expert but assume if used in tandem with suitable wind generation it could end up as an environmental positive

But in Ireland probably not

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/e...rary-1.2492364
    I like the idea, wonder a bit about the cost, the possible/probable income guarantees from the Govt side to get the project up and running and if such a project could realistically power 200,000 homes full time.

Also, I know the former Tynagh Mines site still has a lethal toxic artificial lake of arsenic and ever other chemical under the sun and am wondering what exactly is in the existing reservoir on the Tipperary site.

If the figures work for close to breaking even ( not getting ripped off by extra costs on electricity production ) on the states/citizens side then it'd be brilliant news and might kick start more Spirit Of Ireland type projects into life.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    I like the idea, wonder a bit about the cost, the possible/probable income guarantees from the Govt side to get the project up and running and if such a project could realistically power 200,000 homes full time.

Also, I know the former Tynagh Mines site still has a lethal toxic artificial lake of arsenic and ever other chemical under the sun and am wondering what exactly is in the existing reservoir on the Tipperary site.

If the figures work for close to breaking even ( not getting ripped off by extra costs on electricity production ) on the states/citizens side then it'd be brilliant news and might kick start more Spirit Of Ireland type projects into life.
    An engineer conducted research on the mine tailings of Silvermines back in 2003. At the time, the question was whether establishing a wetland system would be a suitable way of addressing the concentration of metals.A summary is available here:

http://cual.openrepository.com/cual/handle/10759/313467

Can we assume that a more recent study was carried out in relation to the hydroelectric proposal?

Inclined to agree with Shaadi- could be great if caveats addressed. This sort of massive battery system is just what we need for renewables.
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves "

Great idea if viable and isn't associated with some local gombeenism. Mighty to see something positive on the environmental front.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectabilis View Post
    An engineer conducted research on the mine tailings of Silvermines back in 2003. At the time, the question was whether establishing a wetland system would be a suitable way of addressing the concentration of metals.A summary is available here:

http://cual.openrepository.com/cual/handle/10759/313467

Can we assume that a more recent study was carried out in relation to the hydroelectric proposal?
    Thanks Spectabilis, I'll have a good look through that.

Here's a little blog I came across about the joys of what a mine brings to an area, before and after.

http://paddyscrossbetimes.blogspot.ie/