Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: RTE, Cameron and Who Knows Else Sanctifying Nazi Playboy Bowie

Default Re: RTE, Cameron and Who Knows Else Sanctifying Nazi Playboy Bowie

Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    You could say the same about Nirvana and many more brilliant artists who's music will be timeless.

Morrisey on Bowie recalls the 70's
    http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35283114
    Is that why all his music sounds so familiar even when heard for the first time ?

For the time being, the entire world will have been decisively influenced by Bowie. I will have to resign myself to it.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Can we rename the Yeats thread and substitute Irish State for Cameron and Yeats for Bowie?
    Interesting suggestion. Do you think it would be accurate ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Is that why all his music sounds so familiar even when heard for the first time ?

For the time being, the entire world will have been decisively influenced by Bowie. I will have to resign myself to it.
    Of course...the three chord trick!!

Interesting suggestion. Do you think it would be accurate ?
    I'm being a smart arsed d1ck!

A piece by George Orwell on Yeats -

"The relationship between Fascism and the literary intelligentsia badly needs investigating, and Yeats might well be the starting-point."

Same goes for Bowie and pop music.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

I'm being a smart arsed d1ck!
    Oops. I took you seriously. But it was thought provoking.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

A piece by George Orwell on Yeats -

"The relationship between Fascism and the literary intelligentsia badly needs investigating, and Yeats might well be the starting-point."

Same goes for Bowie and pop music.
    Sounds interesting. Will read. I read a piece about Tolkein and his tendency to look backward and glorify the past because of loss and upheaval experienced when young. Is this a factor in building conservative outlook in people?

An amateur psychologist could have a field day with the fact that both JRR Tolkien and Agatha Christie lost parents in their childhood and nursed a sense of loss for the rest of their careers. (Perhaps even more remarkable is the fact that the only writers of their generation to rival them in terms of sales – Enid Blyton, who was born in 1897; Barbara Cartland, who was born in 1901; and of course Catherine Cookson, born in 1906 – all had similar memories of loss and upheaval. Cookson hated her mother and never knew her father, Blyton’s father walked out when she was 13, and Cartland’s father was killed in Flanders when she was a teenager.)
    http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201...juvenile-trash

With Bowie, the PR and the talent are inextricably mixed.

I can't deny he had a talent .......... for publicity.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Sounds interesting. Will read. I read a piece about Tolkein and his tendency to look backward and glorify the past because of loss and upheaval experienced when young. Is this a factor in building conservative outlook in people?
    http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201...juvenile-trash
    With Bowie, perhaps it was to do with being part of a generation in which Empire was seen as gone, and in which there was high youth unemployment and strains on the aspirations of the middle class.

Bowie from what people have said today was stoned much of the time, highly promiscuous, and was a pretty disoriented person.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Bowie from what people have said today was stoned much of the time, highly promiscuous, and was a pretty disoriented person.
    A pretty disoriented person? Hilarious. In the previous page, you said he was a committed Nazi.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Bowie had more talent and creativity in his little finger than any of the nomarks having a cut at him on here. Some great music, some great artistry and balls of steel.

A desperate "look at me" thread.

What's it to you if he was stoned or promiscuous. Disoriented? he released an album last week approaching his 69th birthday and some good stuff on it too.

Default Maidir Le: RTE, Cameron and Who Knows Else Sanctifying Nazi Playboy Bowie

Extraordinary that RTE is running with David Bowie's death as top item.

Bowie's jangly pop stuff is quite catchy, but his big establishment appeal is his strongly right wing politics.

Bowie idealised and romanticised the Nazis, did the Hitler salute on stage and went to Berlin to live for three to absorb some Third Reich vibes.

Also played in Tel Aviv.

Cameron apparently credits him with bringing the Berlin wall down.
    Not your finest hour.

Default Maidir Le: Re: RTE, Cameron and Who Knows Else Sanctifying Nazi Playboy Bowie

"I think Britain should have a fascist government". Is that not far enough ?

People don't play at being fascist sympathisers. Most would have a natural revulsion at the idea.
    Tommy Boshell told me the same thing in the Huntsman once.

He's more committed to the Carlsberg than the Nazism though, not having much time for the ould Nazism during the day.

This is a ridiculous thread, as silly as the celebrity culture itself.

I have some sympathy for your general view surrounding the death of these people though. The Golden Globes spam is also out in force today.

Default Maidir Le: Re: RTE, Cameron and Who Knows Else Sanctifying Nazi Playboy Bowie

With Bowie, perhaps it was to do with being part of a generation in which Empire was seen as gone, and in which there was high youth unemployment and strains on the aspirations of the middle class.

Stoned, promiscuous and disoriented? I have to say, with a handful of exceptions, I've yet to meet a male person of my age without such common personality traits.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast