Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: RTE, Cameron and Who Knows Else Sanctifying Nazi Playboy Bowie

Default Re: RTE, Cameron and Who Knows Else Sanctifying Nazi Playboy Bowie

I went to a live broadcast of the Tom Dunne show from Galway during the arts festival where he had an hour long interview with Enda Walsh, the playwrite, who Bowie asked to collaborate with him on his final album. Sounded like a phenomenal artist...creativity until the dying breath.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    It's interesting that you use 'unpretentious' as a compliment. I don't think that I've ever heard anyone refer to Bowie as unpretentious before. To me, pretension in art is very important, it's almost a necessity, to be honest. A lot of the 'unpretentious' artists in music, from Coldplay to Garth Brooks to the third rate Dylan imitator BrOOCE Springsteen just leave me cold.

We can agree that Bowie was not a 'Nazi playboy' or anything close to it.
    Ah I'm not having that.

If he was a third rate imitation Dylan he would have produced absolute dross for the past 30 years and put on absolutely rubbish live shows with horrific "re-imaginings" of his many classics from his long ago heyday, rendering them into unrecognizable assaults on the senses.

Springsteen on the other hand has consistently produced good music and his live shows are excellent. Now his best albums are not as good as Dylans best but his brand of heartland rock or whatever you want to term it is another genre altogether from the stuff Dylan produced.

As for Bowie, I'm not a fan. Good artist with a uniquely original approach to music but with a sinister side - aside from the fascist stuff he was a borderline predatory pedophile along the lines of Stephen Tyler and Jimmy Page. I'm amazed musicians are allowed to get away with their carry on, where they priests or from any other walk of life they would be rightfully condemned.
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

Agreed, very harsh on Bruce. Might not like everything he made but some great stuff and some brilliant songs about every day real life. To lump him in with Coldplay is a travesty... Coldplay, dull, boring completely unimaginative music about absolutely nothing.

I admit I was being somewhat provocative/trollish in lumping in Springsteen with the likes of Coldplay and Garth Brooks.

His stuff isn't really my cup of tea but 'Nebraska' was a damn fine album.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    As for Bowie, I'm not a fan. Good artist with a uniquely original approach to music but with a sinister side - aside from the fascist stuff he was a borderline predatory pedophile along the lines of Stephen Tyler and Jimmy Page. I'm amazed musicians are allowed to get away with their carry on, where they priests or from any other walk of life they would be rightfully condemned.
    In Bowie's case, I think he was relatively young himself when he had those liaisons. He didn't do the Bob Wyman thing and marry an 18 year old at 50, he'd matured a bit by then, fortunately. I accept that that doesn't remotely excuse it. You're right that some of the 'glitterati' in the music world seem to have gotten a free pass on that front as compared to people from pretty much any other walk of life.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

The Hole in Bowie’s Soul
    By Matt Conner on January 12, 2016.

http://stereosubversion.com/features...in-bowies-soul

From 1983.

Thanks, a decent stab at the subject.

He has likened himself to a jackdaw trawling though the annals of culture, picking on whatever gleams the brightest and bringing it back to the nest of his art. What he discovers doesn’t always make a lot of sense, but at least it will look or sound good. His earlier investigation into religion led him to Buddhism, occultism, numerology and the works of magician Aleister Crowley, all of which could be cut and pasted into tantalizing songs. Politically, his only pronouncements have been unfortunate. He expressed admiration for Nazi aesthetics (great costumes, impressive rallies, nice photographs) and told Playboy that Hitler was the first rock star.

His ‘stands’ on issues tend to be incidental and populist. In 1983 he claimed he wanted his music to be “more hopeful and helpful.” When pressed to give an example of what he considered hopeful and helpful he said; “People shouldn’t kill each other and people should try to live together.”
    One of the most telling pieces of work at the V&A exhibition was a single page torn from a 1995 notebook where he mused on the state of the culture. “Things have moved along quite rapidly since the pluralism of the seventies,” he wrote “We now have a young generation who are having to ‘surf the chaos’, so to speak, who are ‘scanning’ their way through events and images, reading life from its surface. There seems no time to develop depth.”
    There is a sense in "Changes" that Bowie's image changes were an attempt to avoid being found out as a faker (his own view of himself), by constantly morphing and seizing on one jackdaw's trophy after another.

But as he says "Time may change me" - correctly seeing that this apparently personal and individual eclecticism in fact makes him a mirror reflecting what was going on, rather than a true innovator. And of course, this magpie way of thinking - if put about as something to admire - is an attack on any existence that is more purposeful and considered.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Thanks, a decent stab at the subject.

There is a sense in "Changes" that Bowie's image changes were an attempt to avoid being found out as a faker (his own view of himself), by constantly morphing and seizing on one jackdaw's trophy after another.

But as he says "Time may change me" - correctly seeing that this apparently personal and individual eclecticism in fact makes him a mirror reflecting what was going on, rather than a true innovator. And of course, this magpie way of thinking - if put about as something to admire - is an attack on any existence that is more purposeful and considered.
    Did you watch the interview in the other link I posted, the Youtube link, and if so what was your reaction to it?

Where did that year go?

Iman is honoring her late husband today with a little help from the sky.

It was a year ago Tuesday that music legend David Bowie died after an 18-month battle with liver cancer. He was 69 years old. His wife of 24 years honored his memory on the anniversary of his passing with a photo of a double rainbow that was spotted over New York City on the day of his death.

"Jan 10th, 2016 NYC Skyline #ForeverAndEver #ForeverLove #BowieForever," she wrote. On Monday, Iman shared an inspirational message when she posted a photo of the phrase, "If there is any substitute for love, it is memory."

From here, with a beautiful picture of Iman and Bowie together and happy: http://www.eonline.com/news/821170/i...p-from-the-sky

Everyone all right ... tonight...

Last edited by eamo; 10-01-2017 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    Did you watch the interview in the other link I posted, the Youtube link, and if so what was your reaction to it?
    Well?

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Extraordinary that RTE is running with David Bowie's death as top item.

Bowie's jangly pop stuff is quite catchy, but his big establishment appeal is his strongly right wing politics.

Bowie idealised and romanticised the Nazis, did the Hitler salute on stage and went to Berlin to live for three to absorb some Third Reich vibes.

Also played in Tel Aviv.

Cameron apparently credits him with bringing the Berlin wall down.
    So Bowie was a nazi too, wonder who ye'll smear next? John Lennon had a Natsy streak in him at times:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    Ah I'm not having that.

If he was a third rate imitation Dylan he would have produced absolute dross for the past 30 years and put on absolutely rubbish live shows with horrific "re-imaginings" of his many classics from his long ago heyday, rendering them into unrecognizable assaults on the senses.

Springsteen on the other hand has consistently produced good music and his live shows are excellent. Now his best albums are not as good as Dylans best but his brand of heartland rock or whatever you want to term it is another genre altogether from the stuff Dylan produced.

I suspect John Lennon, he had a real natsy streak in him betimes.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617