Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada moves Left

Default Canada moves Left

Tories voted out, and Canada will have a new Liberal PM (Son of a former PM)

Canada's Liberal Party has decisively won parliamentary elections, ending nine years of Conservative rule.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34578213

He's moved the Liberal Party to the left

His election strategy was to squeeze out the left-wing NDP party by outflanking them. The clearest case of this was promising to run three years of deficits to fund infrastructure while the NDP said it would balance budgets. In general, he has pledged to govern well to the left of current PM Harper and even to the left of the previous Liberal governments of Chretien and Martin.
    http://news.forexlive.com/!/three-th...udeau-20151020
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Default Re: Canada moves Left

I wonder how long it'll take for things to go pear-shaped for Trudeau? I don't understand the 'left-wing' tag ... Trudeau is just a nicer sounding Tory.
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Default Maidir Le: Canada moves Left

Looks like a centre left middle class kid. Will legalise weed and change foreign policy so they are not involved in these coalitions abroad, and will also take in a lot of Syrian refugees, so he claims.

Looks like an improvement on the last fella anyways, which wouldn't be hard, but is something.

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    (Son of a former PM)
    His mom was quite a hottie...
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

I understand thet the Liberal platform was more progressive than that of the New Democrats, who ran quite a timid campaign. This is a move left.

he must have hired Obama's press advisor

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    His mom was quite a hottie...
    So was his dad.......... lol !!
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Will he withdraw Canada's bombers and advisors from the various US wars and will he stop the toadying to Israel of his predecessor? Canada used to be a liberal (small l) democracy with a fairly decent world view back in the daddy's day. I hope junior is in the same mould.

Quote Originally Posted by riposte View Post
    So was his dad.......... lol !!
    Indeed, for the yellow press they were the proverbial gift that keeps on giving.

Ah, the good old days...
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Default Re: Maidir Le: Canada moves Left

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    Looks like a centre left middle class kid. Will legalise weed and change foreign policy so they are not involved in these coalitions abroad, and will also take in a lot of Syrian refugees, so he claims.

Looks like an improvement on the last fella anyways, which wouldn't be hard, but is something.
    Yeah but no, but yeah, but no.

Accurate assessment by EU standards. By Canadian ones, he's very left. Very. Many Albertans would have made yer average New Yorker look communist. Never mind Europeans.
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves "

Quote Originally Posted by Binn Beal View Post
    Will he withdraw Canada's bombers and advisors from the various US wars and will he stop the toadying to Israel of his predecessor? Canada used to be a liberal (small l) democracy with a fairly decent world view back in the daddy's day. I hope junior is in the same mould.
    He says he will withdraw bombers but does not say when

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-1...er-jets-syria-

Canada has pulled out of the anti-ISIS alliance.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

If Conrad Black is even slightly correct, it looks to me as though Harper tried to drag Canada so far right that most middle of the road, and moderate conservative voters weren't prepared to follow him.

Harper has gagged Parliament (and probably misled it in the Mike Duffy affair), and garrotted his own cabinet and caucus, but has sat as silent and inert as a suet pudding while the courts of the country, incited by the jurisdictionally putschist chief justice, Beverley McLachlin, have steadily assumed the rights of the federal and provincial legislatures under the authority of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Pierre Trudeau promoted the charter as an antidote to endless dispute over the federal-provincial division of powers, not as a matrix for the emasculation of legislators.

Instead of counter-legislating, or invalidating ultra vires decisions (of which there have been many) by invoking the notwithstanding clause, Harper assailed the chief justice’s personal integrity, almost the only relevant area where she is invulnerable. He has appointed most of the incumbent Supreme Court justices, and a great many judges on junior federal courts, and has only himself to blame for this jurisdictional chaos. The supreme democratic authority of Parliament is being squandered by a control-addicted prime minister and by the falsely righteous depredations and tinkerings of an unchallenged and usurpatory bench.

The entire reactionary agenda is obnoxious to traditional Canadian respect for rights and due process. The omnibus crime bill imposed arbitrary and draconian sentences (Parliament’s one counter-attack on the rapacious judiciary). It built more prisons in response to a declining crime rate, reduced rehabilitative activity and inmate access to families, and is in sum an unrelievedly retrograde, total-immersion plunge into primitivism. Native people will be the chief occupants of the new prisons, which should be repurposed at once as assisted housing. The bill is a disgrace and should be repealed, even by this government if it is re-elected.

Bill C-51 in defence of national security from terrorism has unexceptionable objectives, but dispenses with due process and cannot fail to be abused in a way profoundly offensive to Canadian traditions of respect for individual rights and the rule of law. The leaders of the NDP and the Green party, Thomas Mulcair and Elizabeth May, were magnificent in their opposition, and even Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau’s call for greater oversight was reassuring.

The gratuitously self-awarded right to expel dual citizens convicted of terrorist acts from Canadian citizenship, is another worrisome step toward un-Canadian, if not totalitarian, measures. We can punish our own citizens without expelling them. Trudeau’s objections to this mob-pleaser were also impressive.

Finally, to make a major election issue out of a woman wearing a face-covering niqab at a citizenship swearing-in ceremony after privately identifying herself is a shabby act of desperation. (Public security requires that everyone be identifiable when in public, but in particular ceremonies, exceptions can be made for religious reasons as long as the individuals privately prove their identity to officials.) There is no reason for the government to do any of this except pandering to knuckle-dragging authoritarians, in no danger of straying toward the Liberals or NDP. It all incites worried curiosity about what cloven-footed, horned and furry–headed motivational beasts may lurk within Harper’s mind.
    http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...ittle-too-long

Default Canada moves Left

I am afraid Conrad Black is correct. Harper tried to turn Canada into Texas. That may be where many Albertans would love to be, but Ontario, BC and Quebec are pretty left wing for North America and they have larger populations.

Best of luck to Trudeau. I was not enjoying the George Bush-ification of my old home. The out and out attack on scientists actually had the extraordinarily law abiding Canucks out protesting in the streets of Ottawa.
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves "

“ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast