Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: From RTE's archives - Garda Jim 'Lugs' Brannigan returns to the Liberties 12 yrs after retiring

Default Re: From RTE's archives - Garda Jim 'Lugs' Brannigan returns to the Liberties 12 yrs after retiring

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    He had a 100% success rate. Find a suspect ( any young lad that he felt like picking up ) and beat a confession out of him, shur what could go wrong?

You guys eulogising that prick have one hell of warped sense of justice.
    mate theres no justice atall for victims only the courts insultin them when they give a suspended to the crim!!!! if the courts wont do anything and the cops arent let do anything the people are goin to start defendin themselves like that ould lad shot the knacker above in mayo a few year ago.....

Default Re: From RTE's archives - Garda Jim 'Lugs' Brannigan returns to the Liberties 12 yrs after retiring

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    Is it really more violent today? My father is in his sixties and grew up in Dublin, he maintains that it is far less violent today, particularly for young people.

Anyway, police brutality as a solution is preposterous. Are the posters who suggest this serious? I hope not.

Lugs used to beat whoever he found near the scene, innocent or not.
    I'm in my sixties and inclined to agree with your dad. Back in the day, you had gangs of skins, bovvers, mohicans etc roaming the streets extorting money from people on O'Connell St.etc.
    Less serious, but a lot more widespread than the violence today, I think.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Well, I can't same I'm old enough to remember the 1960s and 1970s in Dublin. Reading threads like the one below (and numerous others in similar vein) anti-social behaviour (a euphemism for scummery) seems pretty prevalent these days:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...7822166&page=8
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

I remember the old days too. I witnessed lots of violence. Seen utter bastards being eulogised. Seen one guy, who'd raped 20 children, have a TV programme in his honour. But most of that perverted society wanted it that way. The kind of people that would eulogise Brannigan, his ilk and his psychosexual tendencies would fit well into the cassock of a Christian Brother. They'd love the attention, the fear. They'd have no problem wearing the cilice, naturally as a substitute for not having a child to beat. They love to draw blood. They'll draw no blood from me.
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    Seen one guy, who'd raped 20 children, have a TV programme in his honour.
    Who do you refer to here?
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by dedogs View Post
    mate theres no justice atall for victims only the courts insultin them when they give a suspended to the crim!!!! if the courts wont do anything and the cops arent let do anything the people are goin to start defendin themselves like that ould lad shot the knacker above in mayo a few year ago.....
    I'm glad you mentioned Frog Ward who was born around 1961 into a world where the fist ruled in the travelling community and in whatever schools and Garda Stations he entered as a young lad. None of those beatings deterred the young Ward from a life of crime, he was convicted of approximately 80 offences by the time of his death. Beatings didn't work, in all probability the beatings probably contributed substantially to the mental problems Ward had.

The Lugs of his young days didn't sort him out.

As a threat to the community he should have been in jail or under serious supervision to protect the community from him, and or on a medical regime to help him deal with his demons. Instead he was free to drag his kid along on his escapades.

To quote myself "monkey see monkey do, punched me punches you". Macho bullying bollox just creates a culture of macho bullying bollox.

You basically admit the problem lies in the revolving door attitude of the court system, not in the Guards ability to arrest and put people before the courts with enough evidence to jail them. There's no need for a Lugs. The outcry over the Nally conviction saw the law changed to allow people defend their homes.

Our courts could give stiffer sentences if Laws were introduced by the politicians to push them that way, but our sleeveen politicians won't spend a billion or two Euro on building a raft of new jails and rehabilitation centres that'd knock back recidivist criminality because they're in bed with the legal professionals and top guards who make big bucks from running the clusterfnk that our "justice system" is.

Ànd our electorate ain't bothered enough about doing things right to put two and two together and figuring out it's up to them to instruct their elected politicians to get the finger out and sort it all out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    I'm glad you mentioned Frog Ward who was born around 1961 into a world where the fist ruled in the travelling community and in whatever schools and Garda Stations he entered as a young lad. None of those beatings deterred the young Ward from a life of crime, he was convicted of approximately 80 offences by the time of his death. Beatings didn't work, in all probability the beatings probably contributed substantially to the mental problems Ward had.

The Lugs of his young days didn't sort him out.

As a threat to the community he should have been in jail or under serious supervision to protect the community from him, and or on a medical regime to help him deal with his demons. Instead he was free to drag his kid along on his escapades.

To quote myself "monkey see monkey do, punched me punches you". Macho bullying bollox just creates a culture of macho bullying bollox.

You basically admit the problem lies in the revolving door attitude of the court system, not in the Guards ability to arrest and put people before the courts with enough evidence to jail them. There's no need for a Lugs. The outcry over the Nally conviction saw the law changed to allow people defend their homes.

Our courts could give stiffer sentences if Laws were introduced by the politicians to push them that way, but our sleeveen politicians won't spend a billion or two Euro on building a raft of new jails and rehabilitation centres that'd knock back recidivist criminality because they're in bed with the legal professionals and top guards who make big bucks from running the clusterfnk that our "justice system" is.

Ànd our electorate ain't bothered enough about doing things right to put two and two together and figuring out it's up to them to instruct their elected politicians to get the finger out and sort it all out.
    see thats what rots my **** totally mate theres somethin totally fucked up if a lad can get 80 convictions!!!! if i was a judge the way id do it is if the sentence is 1 year thats what you get for a first offense... your second offense id double it and youd get 2 year and id keep doublin it every time.... that way any lad was too thick to copon at least hed be locked up and wouldnt have 80 victims before he met a man that wouldnt take his ****!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12