Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From RTE's archives - Garda Jim 'Lugs' Brannigan returns to the Liberties 12 yrs after retiring

Default From RTE's archives - Garda Jim 'Lugs' Brannigan returns to the Liberties 12 yrs after retiring

Fascinating period piece:

12 years after retiring Garda Jim ‘Lugs’ Branigan returned to his beat in Dublin’s Liberties.

Jim Branigan nicknamed ‘Lugs’ Dublin’s most famous Garda tells RTÉ News about his career and a reputation for being a tough man. The former boxer and head of the Garda riot squad is now retired and living in Summerhill county Meath.
    http://www.rte.ie/archives/category/...lugs-branigan/

Default Re: From RTE's archives - Garda Jim 'Lugs' Brannigan returns to the Liberties 12 yrs after retiring

The stories I heard about this guy while I was inside would fill a book. He was quite a brutal man and most of the Dublin children inside with me had plenty of reasons to hate and fear him. And he had the support of the law for his brutality. I remember reading of a court case where a child had complained of brutality and the judge inquired whether it was just 'a general knocking about the head' he received or something more serious!!!
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Default Re: From RTE's archives - Garda Jim 'Lugs' Brannigan returns to the Liberties 12 yrs after retiring

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    The stories I heard about this guy while I was inside would fill a book. He was quite a brutal man and most of the Dublin children inside with me had plenty of reasons to hate and fear him. And he had the support of the law for his brutality. I remember reading of a court case where a child had complained of brutality and the judge inquired whether it was just 'a general knocking about the head' he received or something more serious!!!
    Indeed, every town had their own Lugs.

All aided and abetted by the same FF/FG/Lab politicians who were rightly taking the IRA to task for punishment beatings while hypocritically turning a blind eye to the Gardai knocking the teeth and stuffing out of young lads with impunity.

I remember one such brute who tried to fit an adult up using young lads to plant stolen goods on his premises. When the ruse was exposed in court, the Guard was given a gun and promotion not the door.

A rotten little country and here we have RTE showing us the mindset hasn't changed.
    Last edited by Shaadi; 30-09-2015 at 02:36 PM.

However the current situation with gangs of yobs running rampant terrorising farmers and the elderly is hardly an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    However the current situation with gangs of yobs running rampant terrorising farmers and the elderly is hardly an improvement.
    It was happening back then as well.

Our "justice" system hasn't been fit for purpose, ever!

As far as I'm concerned, bring Lugs Brannigan back.

The scum are running rampant.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

100 % mate.... waste of time sending knackers to court and they only get a suspended.... if the cops kick the ******** off them it might stop a few of them.... and another thing anyone finds a **** in his house anything he does to him should be legal..... if you go on the rob you leave your rights at home!!!!

Is it really more violent today? My father is in his sixties and grew up in Dublin, he maintains that it is far less violent today, particularly for young people.

Anyway, police brutality as a solution is preposterous. Are the posters who suggest this serious? I hope not.

Lugs used to beat whoever he found near the scene, innocent or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    Is it really more violent today? My father is in his sixties and grew up in Dublin, he maintains that it is far less violent today, particularly for young people.

Anyway, police brutality as a solution is preposterous. Are the posters who suggest this serious? I hope not.

Lugs used to beat whoever he found near the scene, innocent or not.
    200 % serious mate!!!!! the courts do nothin and peoples not do anything themselves so if the cops are handin out a few slaps im backin them all the way!!!!! put it this way mate if it some knacker broke into your ma and das place and bet them up for their money would you be sayin a suspended was fair??????

Quote Originally Posted by dedogs View Post
    200 % serious mate!!!!! the courts do nothin and peoples not do anything themselves so if the cops are handin out a few slaps im backin them all the way!!!!! put it this way mate if it some knacker broke into your ma and das place and bet them up for their money would you be sayin a suspended was fair??????
    A lot of these people are acclimatised to, and victims of, violence, often from a young age. What makes you think "a few slaps" would have any deterrent effect?

Issues with sentencing are another matter all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    A lot of these people are acclimatised to, and victims of, violence, often from a young age. What makes you think "a few slaps" would have any deterrent effect?

Issues with sentencing are another matter all together.
    suspendeds arent stoppin the ***** and mebbe a few slaps wont stop them only at least the ***** get a bit of sufferin like they make their victims suffer..... all this ***** about the poor ******* had it hard at home rots my **** in fairness..... theres loads of lads get it hard only they dont turn crim after!!!!!

The documentary in the OP seems to show that far from being hated in working class communities, Brannigan was in general well-liked, particularly by the elderly.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

He had a 100% success rate. Find a suspect ( any young lad that he felt like picking up ) and beat a confession out of him, shur what could go wrong?

You guys eulogising that prick have one hell of warped sense of justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    He had a 100% success rate. Find a suspect ( any young lad that he felt like picking up ) and beat a confession out of him, shur what could go wrong?

You guys eulogising that prick have one hell of warped sense of justice.
    I'm not eulogising anyone.

I'm not eulogising anyone.
    Hmmm, you seem to be yearning for a new Lugs to replace the dead one. That's pretty damn close to eulogising.

The problem with our "justice system" has SFA to do with battering some young lads so that they might behave themselves in the future. It's a matter of not sending convicted criminals to an effective place of deterrent or rehabilitation. The Guards can round up endless people who they can convict in court, it's from there on that the revolving door syndrome takes over and why wouldn't it. More criminals on the streets commiting crimes means more money heading in the way of the Legal proffessions to process them through the Court system.

If a new Lugs appeared on the streets then this generation of young criminals with easy access to guns would put holes in the new Lugs in jig time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast