Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression in Young Men

Default Depression in Young Men

Over the past number of months the HSE and the National Office for Suicide Prevention (to which I give alot of credit in this regard) have engaged in high profile media campaigns highlighting the importance of maintaining one's mental health (sample ad here).

However, depression remains high across our society, particularly in the young and particularly in men. The suicide rate for young men in Ireland has doubled since 1977 but has levelled off in respect of young women. A rather old study at this stage (1992) demonstrated that the ratio of male:female suicide in 18-25 age group was roughly 7:1.

We know that causes of depression which may in some cases eventually lead to suicide include rural living, social isolation and unemployment. The majority of those who kill themselves seek no direct medical help concerning their depression prior to their death.

Suicide permeates all of society, but particularly young men. Over the past 18 months I know, or know of (friends of close friends), 5 or more young men who have taken their own life. We need to encourage young men to seek help when they are depressed, but more than this, we need to address the causes of that depression.

This is one of the most pressing (though less publicised) and complicated equality issues of our time.

On a side note, if this thread touches a nerve with anybody - get help - help and hope, both exist.

ADMIN NOTE - Some Contact Details for Support Services if you are feeling depressed -
    http://www.politicalworld.org/showpo...9&postcount=53
    Last edited by C. Flower; 06-06-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: add contact details

Default Re: Depression in Young Men

Quote Originally Posted by johnfás View Post
    Over the past number of months the HSE and the National Office for Suicide Prevention (to which I give alot of credit in this regard) have engaged in high profile media campaigns highlighting the importance of maintaining one's mental health (sample ad here).

However, depression remains high across our society, particularly in the young and particularly in men. The suicide rate for young men in Ireland has doubled since 1977 but has levelled off in respect of young women. A rather old study at this stage (1992) demonstrated that the ratio of male:female suicide in 18-25 age group was roughly 7:1.

We know that causes of depression which may in some cases eventually lead to suicide include rural living, social isolation and unemployment. The majority of those who kill themselves seek no direct medical help concerning their depression prior to their death.

Suicide permeates all of society, but particularly young men. Over the past 18 months I know, or know of (friends of close friends), 5 or more young men who have taken their own life. We need to encourage young men to seek help when they are depressed, but more than this, we need to address the causes of that depression.

This is one of the most pressing (though less publicised) and complicated equality issues of our time.

On a side note, if this thread touches a nerve with anybody - get help - help and hope, both exist.
    Good post JF

Unfortunately getting help is easier said than done. Depression is one of those illnesses which makes you, among other things, fail to do the obvious (like get help). The blackness is totally disengaging and leads to a situation whereby you just don't want to do anything, not because you are lazy, but because of a mixture of fear, despair and (in my experience) a significant amount of denial.

Lots of people will tell you to "cop-on", "pull yourself together" and "things are not that bad". While well meaning this really doesn't help. It is hard to say what does. In my case I ultimately realised what a negative effect it was having on my life, and the need for change.

It was only then that I went for help. The help is not an instant fix, and in my case I am often in danger of falling back into the blackness if I do not keep a firm hold of it. But I feel that for me, seeking help made a massive change in my life for the best.

It is incredibly sad. Our local graveyard has the headstones of a lot of fellas, some young, some old, all fairly near each other because they all happened in recent years. Terrible for the person and for friends and relatives who probably question themselves on whether they could have done anything.
    I think there is a culture of secrecy and bottling things up here, especially in rural communities. That needs to change. I get the impression, with the older generation anyway, that people prefer to skim over the topic. I hear the term, so and so suffers with their nerves, as if they don't want to actually use the words depression or mental illness.

I often think that it might help if suicides were treated in the same manner as road deaths on the news. It would ensure that this topic is constantly in the public eye and, if handled in the correct manner, would remind sufferers of depression that there are ways to seek help.

Thumbs up Re: Depression in Young Men

Nice one Johnfas.
    That stigma, I thought twice about posting, it's there alright, those who live with depression will know what I'm talking about. Verbalizing it ensconces it in reality. But once you have something real you can address it. If one plugs one's ears and delays a rational appraisal of one's psychic state, one diminishes one's full psychic potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1975 View Post
    I often think that it might help if suicides were treated in the same manner as road deaths on the news. It would ensure that this topic is constantly in the public eye and, if handled in the correct manner, would remind sufferers of depression that there are ways to seek help.
    Very interesting idea, but what about the immediate family? They mightn't be so civic minded.

During the explosion of raves and ecstasy abuse in the early 90s, the medical world warned it would lead to a ticking timebomb, and that society would pay for the drug culture and ecstasy abuse by the youth, 10 or 20 years later.
    Is the hangover from the E Generation now hitting us?
    Any takers on this?

Quote Originally Posted by musashi View Post
    Nice one Johnfas.
    That stigma, I thought twice about posting, it's there alright, those who live with depression will know what I'm talking about. Verbalizing it ensconces it in reality. But once you have something real you can address it. If one plugs one's ears and delays a rational appraisal of one's psychic state, one diminishes one's full psychic potential.
    + 1

Are all young men a bit depressed at the moment ? Apart from the normal pressures on young men, which can be acute, the current state of the world/nation must be an awful shock to the system, and hopes and expectations must be badly affected.

Quote Originally Posted by musashi View Post
    Very interesting idea, but what about the immediate family? They mightn't be so civic minded.
    Because of the stigma? The stigma is exactly what we need to remove from the depression issue. Treating depression and suicide in the 'hush, hush' manner that we currently do does not help, imho. Occasionally, when suicides do make the news, they are described as 'tragic circumstances'. I believe that we have to learn to look this one straight in the face.

I know that here in the West that suicides are very high, not helped when St. Michael's Hosipital, a drop-in centre really, rather than a hospital, was closed all day today, and no one answered the phone/ The calls were transferred to Mayo General Hospital who then futilely rang St. Michael's. So anyone who wanted to "drop in" to talk to a member of the "team" was left in the hands of ....no one.

The "team" were actually there, locked away in the staff room, but they did not answer the door to the frantic knocking of someone I know who was looking for sincere help.
    Other people have a nationality. The Jews and the Irish have a psychosis: Brendan Behan

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    I know that here in the West that suicides are very high, not helped when St. Michael's Hosipital, a drop-in centre really, rather than a hospital, was closed all day today, and no one answered the phone/ The calls were transferred to Mayo General Hospital who then futilely rang St. Michael's. So anyone who wanted to "drop in" to talk to a member of the "team" was left in the hands of ....no one.

The "team" were actually there, locked away in the staff room, but they did not answer the door to the frantic knocking of someone I know who was looking for sincere help.
    That's pretty shocking. I've heard that A and E aren't much use as a port of call either. Some people would speak highly of the Samaritans and Child Line but neither seems particularly geared up to young men.

One thing that might seem stupid but has been shown to work is to walk - moderate walking a few times a week is supposed to be better than pills.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 23-03-2010 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by truth.ie View Post
    During the explosion of raves and ecstasy abuse in the early 90s, the medical world warned it would lead to a ticking timebomb, and that society would pay for the drug culture and ecstasy abuse by the youth, 10 or 20 years later.
    Is the hangover from the E Generation now hitting us?
    Any takers on this?
    Even smoking a lot of hash or drink can result in depression, you don't need to be a doctor to figure that out. I agree about E, its over stimulation of happy drugs acting on synapses has long been feared.
    Mr Lenihan said the guarantee was “the cheapest bailout” compared with bank rescues in other countries, including the UK and the US, where “billions and billions of taxpayers’ money are being poured into financial institutions” - October 24 2008

Quote Originally Posted by C Flower View Post
    That's pretty shocking. I've heard that A and E aren't much use as a port of call either.
    A GP is probably the first port of call. I've heard that female GP's are better at dealing with this than males.
    My own GP, a male, just flung some pills at me. Looking back, it was pretty shoddy workmanship, to be honest, but the very fact that I'd made the move to get help was a massive lift in itself. The sense of utter hopelessness was gone.
    Last edited by Tony1975; 23-03-2010 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C Flower View Post
    Are all young men a bit depressed at the moment ? Apart from the normal pressures on young men, which can be acute, the current state of the world/nation must be an awful shock to the system, and hopes and expectations must be badly affected.
    It's normal to get down if something is bothering you and remains unresolved.
    It's normal to gaze upon the world and despair.
    It's normal to feel angst in the knowledge that life may have no meaning, purpose or happiness.

Our social systems are static and unorganic, have few rights of passage ceremonies and virtually no recognition of the HUGE importance of these men to our future. Say what you like about our hunter-gatherer forebears and tribalism, at least their social systems were integrated.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast