Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinn Féin to meet with British Prince Charles

Default Sinn Féin to meet with British Prince Charles

Sinn Féin's Ard Chomhairle has authorised its representatives on both sides of the border to attend events during the four-day visit of Prince Charles and his wife, Camilla.

The Prince of Wales will visit Ireland between 19 - 22 May and is to attend functions in Northern Ireland as well as in counties Galway, Clare and Sligo.

Confirmation of the Sinn Féin policy decision came in a statement from the party leader, Gerry Adams, tonight.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0517/701...charles-visit/
    British Royal visit to Ireland – Note to Party Members

Charles Windsor and his wife Camilla will visit Ireland next week from 19th to 22nd May and among the places they will visit are Galway, Clare and Mullaghmore as well as a number of engagements in the Six Counties. There will be considerable political and media interest in the visit, particularly their visit to Sligo.

As with previous invitations, the National Officer Board, following consultation with the Directorates and relevant Cuigí, put forward a recommendation to the Ard Chomhairle on how the party deals with the visit.

The Ard Chomhairle approved this recommendation.

This decision was taken in the context of our ongoing work to bring forward a process to deal with the past and to forward national reconciliation, as well as our objectives of Irish re-unification and independence.

This visit may cause difficulty for some Irish republicans, not least the victims of the British crown forces in Ireland.

Recommendation:

That party elected representatives including those with civic responsibilities, be allowed to attend events as part of this visit. The degree of participation to be agreed with the representative, Directorates/ relevant Cúige and party Chairperson.

A briefing process is being undertaken by the party within wider republicanism and campaign organisations to outline this position.

Press Release to be Issued - Strict Media Embargo Until 9pm Sunday the 17th of May

Sinn Féin Representatives to attend events during the visit of Prince Charles.

In a statement today Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams TD said,

‘The Sinn Féin Ard Chomhairle meeting in Kilkenny yesterday discussed the upcoming visit of the Prince Charles to Ireland.

At the time of the announcement of the visit I said that it should be an opportunity to promote reconciliation and build on the good work done by Martin McGuinness and the English Queen.

Prince Charles is the Colonel-in-Chief of the Parachute Regiment. A regiment of the British Army that has been responsible for the killing of many Irish citizens including in Derry, Ballymurphy, Springhill and other communities across the north.

But he also has been bereaved by the actions of republicans.

Thankfully the conflict is over. But there remains unresolved injustices. These must be rectified and a healing process developed.

There is a responsibility on us all to promote reconciliation and seek to promote healing.

It is with that in mind that the Ard Chomhairle decided that Sinn Féin representatives will attend a number of events during this visit.’

As with previous invitations, the National Officer Board, following consultation with the Directorates and relevant Cuigí, put forward a recommendation to the Ard Chomhairle on how the party deals with the visit.

Again we see the difficulty SF have with the term "consultation". Rather than consult, they "notified". Again. Except this time they scaled back on the facade they had over the handshake and didn't bother going through the motions.

I expect Adams and McGuinness to meet with Charles.

It's interesting how SF have managed the Royal issue. First it was that they would never met with Royals. Then it was that only MMG would meet the British queen in a neutral venue, just to get it out of the way and that would be it. Then it was attending banquets in a "personal capacity". Now it seems it will be private meetings with Charles. Why the fundamental lack of honesty?

Default Re: Sinn Féin to meet with British Prince Charles

Personally, I would prefer they meet with him to the alternative of the only expression of Irishness he encounters are representatives from the parties of John Unionist and Conor Cruise O'Brien.

Gerry Adams himself will be meeting Chuck Windsor in Galway tomorrow.
    Happiness is an inside job.

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0517/701...charles-visit/

Again we see the difficulty SF have with the term "consultation". Rather than consult, they "notified". Again. Except this time they scaled back on the facade they had over the handshake and didn't bother going through the motions.

I expect Adams and McGuinness to meet with Charles.

It's interesting how SF have managed the Royal issue. First it was that they would never met with Royals. Then it was that only MMG would meet the British queen in a neutral venue, just to get it out of the way and that would be it. Then it was attending banquets in a "personal capacity". Now it seems it will be private meetings with Charles. Why the fundamental lack of honesty?

How will they fix up the GFA when the British repeal the Human Rights Act ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    Gerry Adams himself will be meeting Chuck Windsor in Galway tomorrow.
    Windsor is so common

We should address HRH by his true family name, Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

I somehow don't think Adams will be asking Windsor for the release of the British files on the Dublin and Monaghan bombing. It seems the British Ambassador has cancelled his appointment with Justice for the Forgotten.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

I can't understand the big fuss re SF meeting the royals as they have met him or the queen on numerous occasions in the past.

What's the big deal over this as it's nothing new.

Rant over and move on.

There is a small protest by Galway Anti-Monarchists.

They can't get too many opportunities for this kind of event, so I hope they enjoy it.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    There is a small protest by Galway Anti-Monarchists.

They can't get too many opportunities for this kind of event, so I hope they enjoy it.
    Are they British ex-pats? Cause I don't see the point considering most of Ireland is a republic and those Irish in the 6 counties dont want to form part of the UK...

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    Windsor is so common

We should address HRH by his true family name, Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
    Saxe - Coburg Gotha is a title DCon. The actual family surname of George 1st of England, Elector of Hanover etc. is Guelph also spelt Guelf and Welf. Germany had literally dozens of minor princelings and most royal houses in Europe have/had German blood. So Guelph is the surname of the present monarch. Though if we followed the usual Patriarchal precedent in these things she would have the name of her paternal ancestor Albert, consort of Victoria and another German. Whereas Charles would take the name of his pop Philip Battenberg , yet another German with a bit of Danish.

Although he is often called Phil the Greek, this refers to his birth in Corfu - where his folks had a little gig as Kings of that unlucky land. I can't recall poor old Alberts actual surname. He was only a consort. Philip , complaining about this, referred to himself as 'a bloody amoeba' !

It's all about wooing Southern voters, Gerry is gradually moving from being a pariah in the South to being the only statesman on the political scene here.

Tell you what....no-one does verbal blow jobs like Charlie. [just picking up on his speech afterwards]

That aside, SF have chartered a course and are sticking to it. When you're sincere about peace it's not unusual to meet and shake hands with your once sworn enemy, it's a personal and human thing to do, been there.

What's occurring in the South today stands in startling contrast to what is being said and done and by who'm in the North, the DUP are saying Stormont could fall next week. Timely scare mungering is'nt it? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/northern_ireland
    Last edited by Trow; 19-05-2015 at 03:29 PM.
    Happiness is an inside job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogiol View Post
    Are they British ex-pats? Cause I don't see the point considering most of Ireland is a republic and those Irish in the 6 counties dont want to form part of the UK...
    The mere concept of royalty is contrary to basic principles such as democracy, and should be offensive to every fair, free minded individual. Regardless if the royal is domestic or foreign.

Royalty is the most backward, contemptible aspect of British society. Tourism you say? Last time I checked the Palace at Versailles is still a popular attraction - no reason why the Tower of London (or the Bastille if it still stood) or Buckingham would be any different.

Update on the royal parasites' surmames. Albert of Saxe Coburg and Gotha is a Wettin. But whether that is also just a title I know not. So I'm sticking with Guelph/Welf - after all German George , king in 1714, was the daddy of em all.

There was some constitutional crisis in the 50s , apparently. Some felt the name Mountbatten ( Battenberg in English) should be on the birth certs instead of Windsor ( euphemism coined during anti German hysteria in 1917). Churchill was livid with rage - he had a long running feud with Mountbatten and blamed him for the loss of India blah blah. Mountbatten Windsor is the last compromise I could discover. It's like a hall of mirrors and I found myself losing the will to breathe as I trawled through websites with names like Royal Grovelling Cringebucket. But I knew you guys would be frantic with worry about this. Now you can have closure. I went through hell for Polworld and think I should be rewarded with some title. Chief Heraldic Brown Nose of Hibernia. Hmm. that'll need work.....

Good work, Donal!
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast