Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Facebook and its discontents

Default Re: Facebook and its discontents

read my post #29 again

then read your answer

and try to compute the vast new army of internet 'fighters' that both the UK and the US are adding to their payroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Donal Og View Post
    A mate of my son is going for an interview soon - tech support. This is his 3rd interview for the same post. But this one is - gasp - face to face. HR is basically a religious cult dressed up as a profession isn't it really? And we all collude in it. And it grows like a cancer. The charlatans are making loads of lovely moolah though. HR and PR , two cheeks of the same arse.
    Professional seducers and Professional liars go hand in hand though, don't they?

A Handy number, or great work if you can get it, is what they call that around here.

!! pissed off !!

and now i must re-review a smug manuscript from Europe and need to be responsible about what i write!

if ye dont mind i'll just throw a tantrum over here so i can draft a fairly measured response back to the editor

($*&ˆ%$# g-d damned piece of trash!)
    Last edited by random new yorker; 25-05-2015 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    !! pissed off !!

and now i must re-review a smug manuscript from Europe and need to be responsible about what i write!

if ye dont mind i'll just throw a tantrum over here so i can draft a fairly measured response back to the editor

($*&ˆ%$# g-d damned piece of trash!)
    Oh, reviews....you have my utmost sympathy. Sigh! Who invented peer review anyway? It's a bit like democracy; an awful system until one looks at the alternatives....
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves "

Quote Originally Posted by morticia View Post
    Oh, reviews....you have my utmost sympathy. Sigh! Who invented peer review anyway? It's a bit like democracy; an awful system until one looks at the alternatives....
    i have to tell you my dear

I love peer review and have no doubt it is the best way to get the job done

but if it comes from Asia or Russia i usually say i am not available (no patience to figure what the heck they are trying to say, unless it comes from japan and then its ok)

and then you get the EU stuff that i have to be very honest and tell ya the bar over in my side of the Atlantic is often a lot higher, and when people are wrong in the US (that naiveté - which reflects their honesty - that you guys are always complaining about), they dont argue w ya, they take their sheety fish and they go sell in in another market.

Nope. Not these guys in beautiful little most advanced/rich european country. They take my advice to do the experiments i suggested and come back to me telling me that in light of the new findings my previous critique doesnt apply!!

FAAAAAck!!

(and i am only half way done with them)

I have no friends.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Over 40 Facebook threads to choose from..............

Americans think social media harms democracy
    Data: SurveyMonkey poll conducted Nov. 9 to 13 among 3,622 U.S. adults with a modeled error estimate of ±2.5 percent; Survey methodology. Chart: Lazaro Gamio/Axios
    Americans have big concerns about the impact of social media and a growing majority wants big social media companies regulated, according to a new poll conducted by Survey Monkey for “Axios on HBO.”
    Why it matters: The public is more aware than ever of some of the negative consequences of the technologies that have changed their lives, which makes Silicon Valley and social media ripe political and regulatory targets, note Axios' Sara Fischer and Alison Snyder.
    Between the lines: This is a rare topic uniting Republicans, Democrats and Independents. Republicans have been alleging that these companies — often founded and still led by idealistic, progressive executives — censor conservative viewpoints.

• Democrats have taken issue over the past year with ways social media technologies, like niche ad-targeting, can be abused by people to discriminate against minorities.

Yes, but: About 40% of Americans still feel that social media is a net positive for society. Overall, 65% of people say smartphones have made their quality of life better.
    Be smart: Unlike most conversations about government regulation, this is not an obscure topic for most Americans. An overwhelming majority use — and perhaps overuse — the technologies in question.

• Nearly two-thirds (63%) of respondents say they sleep with their phone in or next to their bed. And that jumps to 73% among millennials.
    • More than half (51%) say smartphones are the hardest technology for most people to live without. And that jumps to 67% among millennials.

The bottom line: Americans are more aware than ever before about the dark side of technologies, which should worry Silicon Valley.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Start a new one ? Facebook is a completely different phenomenon from a news site. For a while it offered platforms that could grow exponentially if popular. Facebook is now engaged in large scale censorship and throttling of voices. Huge numbers of voting age people use it.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Start a new one ? Facebook is a completely different phenomenon from a news site. For a while it offered platforms that could grow exponentially if popular. Facebook is now engaged in large scale censorship and throttling of voices. Huge numbers of voting age people use it.
    Au Contraire ! Not for me. Forty could probably be merged to 10-12 without any great loss. Plus, you know I like short thread titles which usually requires a broad topic subject.

I've never been a big user of FB or social media in general, (public policy & political debate excepted), so I don't know much about its past. Have had a queasy feeling about Zuck since the early days.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Facebook's losing streak
    Data: Yahoo! Finance; Chart: Chris Canipe/Axios
    Facebook is on its worst losing streak since going public, and experts are warning that reputational damage might make the stock declines even worse.
    Driving the news: CNBC reports that the company is on track for its third straight month of declines and its first year of declines since the IPO.
    Why it matters: While it's unlikely advertisers will give up on the company immediately, analysts worry that recent scandals, coming to a head in a New York Times article last week, will weigh on investor confidence and their client relationships long-term.

• Advertising experts from MoffettNathanson and Pivotal Research and Wall Street experts like angel investor Jason Calacanis are all voicing concerns about the viability of Facebook's stock, given the longterm impact these scandals could have on advertiser relationships and user growth.
    • "Marketers might not cut spending directly, but scrutiny of budgets on Facebook will increase, as will the time Facebook executives will spend explaining themselves the next time something goes wrong," said Pivotal Research Group's Brian Wieser in a note to investors.

Between the lines: Taking a look at Facebook's 2018 stock woes vs. strong advertising growth, it's clear that marketers are less concerned about Facebook's long-term positioning than Wall Street.

• While revenue growth from the main Facebook app is expected to slow as user engagement declines, revenue from Instagram and Facebook's messaging apps (Messenger and Whatsapp) is expected to accelerate.

Be smart: The fallout of these scandals will make it harder for the tech giant to get government approval for any strategic business acquisitions moving forward.

• Before Facebook had a reputation for malfunction and neglect, Washington regulators approved two game-changing acquisitions for the company: Instagram in 2012 and Whatsapp in 2014.
    • As The New York Times' Mike Isaac notes on Axios' Dan Primack's podcast, Instagram has become Facebook's core business.

Go deeper: Facebook's executive trainwreck

I run a community page on Facebook which has over four thousand members aboard.

I use it as a platform to voice opinions not necessarily acceptable on every-ones everyday home pages, but more as a standalone vehicle for my own thoughts and opinions on all matters Irish. I can write up an article at leisure and then present it to the community to mull over. Quite often I'm accused of racism and xenophobia for merely stating actual facts, and if there is a meaning or purpose to writing up articles at all, it's generally to goad people into responding - thereby goading them into thinking first.

I enjoy the challenge but consider it little more than a fertile learning curve for my other writing ambitions. As with any online platform - it depends how you use it and whom you're addressing. I've managed to build up an audience of thousands of dedicated members mostly by irritating them and getting under their skin and forcing reactions where otherwise they may be none at all.

Taken with a pinch of salt, it's all good fun.
    My right of reply? Sadly denied.

This is in addition to considering charging users for access to their own data....as already reported....Would anyone pay for access to content, they themselves had created?

VALLEY TALK -- "Facebook Considered Charging for Access to User Data," by WSJ's Deepa Seetharaman and Kirsten Grind: "Internal emails show Facebook Inc. considered charging companies for continued access to user data several years ago, a step that would have marked a dramatic shift away from the social-media giant's policy of not selling that information, according to an unredacted court document viewed by The Wall Street Journal. ... At a congressional hearing in April, Facebook Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg said, 'I can't be clearer on this topic: We don't sell data.'" WSJ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123