Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Facebook and its discontents

Default Re: Facebook and its discontents

Facebook is a great way to preserve yer long distance relationships

Quote Originally Posted by Launchbury View Post
    Another element of Facebook to mind is the extension of work into it. Increasingly companies are introducing policies around social media use. A safe rule of thumb is if you wouldn't say it in the street don't put it online!!
    little story abt FB and finding a job

last summer this woman got in touch w me re an interview for a job, we did a skype interview and i really liked her but she wasn't finished w her PhD yet and i was looking for a postdoc ...

so i ended up finding someone else (with a lot more experience)

she ended up Following my posts on FB (to keep in touch) - i remember thinking at the time "that was a really smart move"

and lo and behold this winter i was looking for another person to continue my grad student work as she is abt to graduate and BECAUSE she was on my short list of followers in FB she was my first choice to check if she was still looking.

She will start next week.

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    little story abt FB and finding a job

last summer this woman got in touch w me re an interview for a job, we did a skype interview and i really liked her but she wasn't finished w her PhD yet and i was looking for a postdoc ...

so i ended up finding someone else (with a lot more experience)

she ended up Following my posts on FB (to keep in touch) - i remember thinking at the time "that was a really smart move"

and lo and behold this winter i was looking for another person to continue my grad student work as she is abt to graduate and BECAUSE she was on my short list of followers in FB she was my first choice to check if she was still looking.

She will start next week.
    Actually HR types are the least of yer worries on FB. I'm in touch with several CPL heads and other recruiters, some of them on FB, from me time at home.

No-it's the co-workers with big mouths you want to avoid. Desperate types who'll say anything for a laugh. HR types, once you get to know them, and I went to college with some of them, are only interested in whether or not you'll be a good fit.

Having said that the most arrogant types of management I've ever dealt with were 'Team Leader heads' after commission or 'Operations Managers' who spent their whole day whinging at people over crazy targets.

HR/Office Managers generally keep to themselves imo.

A mate of my son is going for an interview soon - tech support. This is his 3rd interview for the same post. But this one is - gasp - face to face. HR is basically a religious cult dressed up as a profession isn't it really? And we all collude in it. And it grows like a cancer. The charlatans are making loads of lovely moolah though. HR and PR , two cheeks of the same arse.

Ned Ludd here. I tried removing the frowny face RNY : but only succeeded in adding a contrasting smiley.

I seem to have 17 Mick Jaggers, 22 Keith Richards, 15 Ronnie Woods as friends on Facebook - such is my narrow focus on Facebook.
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Old ...but happy. Wish I knew what Keith is on. Perhaps when you're that rich it's all pharmaceutical - like old William Burroughs who lived into his 90s.

Regarding longevity...There's poor people in my Father's native village living well into their nineties and over a hundred. Late eighties seems to be the average age there, probably 'cos of the togetherness of the local community, the clean country air and the endless list of things that need doing.

Sadly many of them have a very sad ending as medical care under the HSE is not very dignified. One lady is on a list to get cataracts off of her eyes for over a year now...she's 95 and Me Granda, in his mid seventies himself, said they're probably hoping she'll die sooner rather than later to save her money...

She's already lost usage of her legs and was only saved from a brutal death from the cold by my old boss of 71 who used to call into her house twice a week(she lived on her own til she was 93/94 and her family are all deceased). Only for he called in with the Chicken of the Tuesday, with it normally being of the Wednesday, she'd have been dead from the cold. She was already half dead from it when he got in and had to rush her the Lourdes after.

Private health insurance is a form of theft. Oh yeah he's putting hr up in a nice old folks home. Shows you how miserable the State is.

Anyways not anything to do with Facebook but Donal's insightful comment on longevity made me feel like I should share that..pharmaceutics for some alright..a sad ending though for most people..

Having said that I am a fan of a certain type of medicinal intake that's great for back/shoulder pain..
    Last edited by Apjp; 10-04-2015 at 03:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    I seem to have 17 Mick Jaggers, 22 Keith Richards, 15 Ronnie Woods as friends on Facebook - such is my narrow focus on Facebook.
    well ... given that Donal started off by referring to 'the women of a certain age' that appear to harass him in FB

i'd say yea that may be cos men of a certain age have not learned how to use it ...

('certain age' for men appears to be about 10 later)

it's like a cell phone darlin

ye dont know ye need it until ye get one and learn to USE the defriend button...

Quote Originally Posted by Donal Og View Post
    Ned Ludd here. I tried removing the frowny face RNY : but only succeeded in adding a contrasting smiley.

most people here are of 'a certain age' anyway and caint use FB

they'll relate to a frowny face better

(no frowny faces from me tho)

I meself am of a 'certain age' : 62 to be precise. If I was as old as 'Keef' I'd be one of the 'job for life and a nice fat pension ' generation but alas...., there I used a smiley too!

(* clears throat) i dont want to be accused of 'making' people volunteer personal information

oh please Lord

(how am i going to learn about the vulgarity of the human mind if i am not allowed to read it here?

and laugh

oh g-d NO

NO laughing!!)

oh please Lord

give me someone w a sense of humor --- humour --- inspired (no, NOT you Mort! not you!)

oh please Lord
    please

if short on humorous

at the very least

keep being generous with the wine

deal?

(disclaimer: this post is not directed at anyone in particular, just me talking to the Lord above)

hmmmm ~~~

bit concerned this forum may be infiltrated by KGB agents ~~~

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    hmmmm ~~~

bit concerned this forum may be infiltrated by KGB agents ~~~
    Oh dear. I suppose the internet is weaponised now..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast