Thread: REBEL CHARLO: What's in Store

Default REBEL CHARLO: What's in Store

Some of What's in Store planned for our 1916-2016 Festival.
    We are very pleased to announce that we have both Brian Hanely, and Mary McAuliffe lined-up to give a talk in the Charlemont Street community hall. Further details to be released soon.

Default Re: REBEL CHARLO: What's in Store

"Dr. Mary McAuliffe tells us about the truly remarkable life of Kathleen Lynn, a women who dedicated her life to the people of Dublin. A truly inspirational woman, who deserves to be celebrated as a national hero."

Nice poster.

Who is the woman grappling with (apparent) triplets ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Nice poster.

Who is the woman grappling with (apparent) triplets ?
    Thanks. It's Dr.Kathleen Lynn. I believe this to be the triplets here.

"'Republican Triplets' A very rare photographic card showing the three infant 'Daughters of Mr. & Mrs. Fullerton - Irish Citizen Army - with Countess Constance de Markiewicz, Dr. Kathleen Lynn, and their father, representing Mrs. Grace Plunkett'."
    http://www.adams.ie/10510/Republican...nd-their-fathe

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post

"Dr. Mary McAuliffe tells us about the truly remarkable life of Kathleen Lynn, a women who dedicated her life to the people of Dublin. A truly inspirational woman, who deserves to be celebrated as a national hero."
    Just listened to the youtube: very interesting indeed.

One question, that perhaps the person in the youtube would like to answer - did the participants in the Rising call it a revolution ?

Myself, I see it as a national liberation uprising, rather than a social revolution, in which one class displaces another as the dominant class.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Just listened to the youtube: very interesting indeed.

One question, that perhaps the person in the youtube would like to answer - did the participants in the Rising call it a revolution ?

Myself, I see it as a national liberation uprising, rather than a social revolution, in which one class displaces another as the dominant class.
    I see it as all the above. It was a revolution, in the sense that many went out with both national liberation, and economic emancipation, in mind, and what followed was a counter-revolution in years that preceded it thereafter by the Free State. It was Connolly who had showed how anything other than complete economic and national independence was futile, if they did not come together, how we cannot separate one from the other. I think the great thinkers like Pearse would also have hugely contributed to the great social effort had things turned out differently.