Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting/Useful Plants to Grow Indoors

Default Re: Interesting/Useful Plants to Grow Indoors

The best source of seeds ---

http://www.irishseedsavers.ie/
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Indeed, but I'm fairly certain that seedsavers don't do chili seeds, they are in to "heirloom" seeds as far as I remember. This is a good source for chili seeds: http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/

Should I plant in compost or a special type of soil or anything like that? Complete amateur here

Seedsavers just do one heirloom chili - and one delicious pepper variety

Tomato selection is wonderful too.

http://store.irishseedsavers.ie/Toma...ppers_s/80.htm
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Standard compost, with a few pebbles/bits of gravel at the bottom of the pot for drainage, is fine for most things. If you have good garden soil to spare, not too 'sticky' and clay-ey, that should do just as well.

It is worth getting proper saucers to go under pots as they are cheap and you are much less likely to lose plants because of dryness.

Some things don't like water on their leaves ( I think that might include peppers) and putting the water in the saucer to soak up is best.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Cress grows very fast from seed and is nice with cheese. Grows indoor or outside. Compost in butter etc., container. Have a couple or more for rotation.
    We are all insane animals existing for a time on an obviously unfinished planet.
    www.irelandtoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Standard compost, with a few pebbles/bits of gravel at the bottom of the pot for drainage, is fine for most things. If you have good garden soil to spare, not too 'sticky' and clay-ey, that should do just as well.

It is worth getting proper saucers to go under pots as they are cheap and you are much less likely to lose plants because of dryness.

Some things don't like water on their leaves ( I think that might include peppers) and putting the water in the saucer to soak up is best.
    Chilies HATE their roots disturbed or their leaves wet. Feeding them water through a bottom "saucer" is a good idea, providing the roots don't show through. I have some really tropical chilies growing indoors, and feed them from a can of water hanging next to the plant, which is connected to the soil of the plant using a cotton string. The plant takes what it needs, and I just fill the separate container when it's running low. Chilies belong to the Solanum family (nightshades) as do tomatoes, so once they start flowering, a little "tomato food" will do wonders, unless you have access to dried sheep kernels. Powder a few and just sprinkle them around the plant. Nothing beats that as a fertilizer for these plants...

Yet again I have failed to follow through on this plan... Have I left it too late this year?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12