Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting/Useful Plants to Grow Indoors

Default Interesting/Useful Plants to Grow Indoors

Found a bunch of flower pots in the shed of the house I'm renting, given the time of year I'm thinking of putting them to some use. Can anyone suggest anything interesting or useful I could grow, ideally indoors?

I used to have a mimosa pudica years ago which was kinda cool, the leaves fold up and the stems droop when you touched it.

Default Re: Interesting/Useful Plants to Grow Indoors

Chives, basil, parsley, good on a kitchen window sill.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

You could try a Venus fly catcher/trap, both interesting and useful.[you can get them on ebay handy enough and not expensive] I'm not really an indoor plant man but grow two choice plants in my glass porch namely a yellow flowering shamrock in a hanging basket and a red flowering geranium from a large pot in a stand.

Why not take it outdoors SGD? If you could find yourself a little wooded area to experiment with it's rewarding to place fat balls packed with choice seeds and the birds will do the rest. Basically, just collect the fat residue from your grill pan after cooking bacon and the likes and pour it into an egg cup with your seeds, when it solidifies take it to your area of choice and place it there.

It's good to come back later in the year to see your creation, lots of different wildflowers, butterflies and bees. This is the time of year to be doing that.

Window boxes are a delight to the eye as well and i'd suggest Nasturtium.
    Happiness is an inside job.

Interesting black mould growing on one corner of the bathroom ceiling....
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Interesting black mould growing on one corner of the bathroom ceiling....
    Caused by condensation.
    Happiness is an inside job.

Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    Caused by condensation.

Not going to win any prizes at Chelsea so ?
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Very easy to grow inside are different chillies. Don't go for the tropical varieties, but the standard long red chillies grow very well on a sunny window sill. So do Bolivian rainbows, Devil's tongues and even Jabarneros. Chillies are like tomatoes, don't like water on their leaves, and hate their roots being touched or disturbed. And as I mention them, cherry tomatoes are dead easy to grow in pots...

Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    You could try a Venus fly catcher/trap, both interesting and useful.[you can get them on ebay handy enough and not expensive] I'm not really an indoor plant man but grow two choice plants in my glass porch namely a yellow flowering shamrock in a hanging basket and a red flowering geranium from a large pot in a stand.

Why not take it outdoors SGD? If you could find yourself a little wooded area to experiment with it's rewarding to place fat balls packed with choice seeds and the birds will do the rest. Basically, just collect the fat residue from your grill pan after cooking bacon and the likes and pour it into an egg cup with your seeds, when it solidifies take it to your area of choice and place it there.

It's good to come back later in the year to see your creation, lots of different wildflowers, butterflies and bees. This is the time of year to be doing that.

Window boxes are a delight to the eye as well and i'd suggest Nasturtium.
    Some very good suggestions there. I live in rented accommodation, I don't want to go planting in the garden only to have to leave it behind

Quote Originally Posted by Ephilant View Post
    Very easy to grow inside are different chillies. Don't go for the tropical varieties, but the standard long red chillies grow very well on a sunny window sill. So do Bolivian rainbows, Devil's tongues and even Jabarneros. Chillies are like tomatoes, don't like water on their leaves, and hate their roots being touched or disturbed. And as I mention them, cherry tomatoes are dead easy to grow in pots...
    Would they grow in Irelands climate? I like the sound of chillis

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    Some very good suggestions there. I live in rented accommodation, I don't want to go planting in the garden only to have to leave it behind

Would they grow in Irelands climate? I like the sound of chillis
    Chillis will grow in Ireland, as long as you keep them in a sunny spot (if Ireland can manage sunny spots now and again) Just rememer, they do not like their roots disturbed, they are likely to die on you just for revenge if you do disturbe them. Use bio-degradable seedling pots to avoid touching the roots. I use the cardboard core from toilet roll as biodegradable seedling pots. Works fabulously.
    They need a rather largish pot, 25-30cm in diameter will do. Chillis are also longer lasting plants. A mature chilli plant can be up to 1.8m tall. You'll get about 4-5 years out of one plant, and in the right conditions about 300-400 chillis per plant every crop. I get 3 crops a year out of mine, without doing horrible things to the plants. But then, we do have a little more sunshine than you guys do, so mine grow outside. Like tomatoes, they will make it very clear when they need water. If you want to use home-grown seed to plant again, seeds from the second and third year are the best, give the strongest off-spring.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Chives, basil, parsley, good on a kitchen window sill.
    Coriander also. Really handy to have

Chillis will grow in Ireland, as long as you keep them in a sunny spot (if Ireland can manage sunny spots now and again) Just rememer, they do not like their roots disturbed, they are likely to die on you just for revenge if you do disturbe them. Use bio-degradable seedling pots to avoid touching the roots. I use the cardboard core from toilet roll as biodegradable seedling pots. Works fabulously.
    They need a rather largish pot, 25-30cm in diameter will do. Chillis are also longer lasting plants. A mature chilli plant can be up to 1.8m tall. You'll get about 4-5 years out of one plant, and in the right conditions about 300-400 chillis per plant every crop. I get 3 crops a year out of mine, without doing horrible things to the plants. But then, we do have a little more sunshine than you guys do, so mine grow outside. Like tomatoes, they will make it very clear when they need water. If you want to use home-grown seed to plant again, seeds from the second and third year are the best, give the strongest off-spring.
    Im actually going to do this this year !

Im actually going to do this this year !
    Good to hear! don't go fro anything outrageous to start with. Stick with your ordinary Jalapeno, the standard "lady finger", maybe a little Bolivian rainbow, they are very pretty (and fairly hot!). If you buy the real thing in your supermarket to get the seeds, you could end up seriously disappointed. Most will not germinate. Better to spend a few Euro on buying the seeds from a grower. You can get them on line no problem.
    Good luck, and maybe post some pics now and again. If they like where you have them, they will grow fairly fast and reward you with lots of scovilles...

Good to hear! don't go fro anything outrageous to start with. Stick with your ordinary Jalapeno, the standard "lady finger", maybe a little Bolivian rainbow, they are very pretty (and fairly hot!). If you buy the real thing in your supermarket to get the seeds, you could end up seriously disappointed. Most will not germinate. Better to spend a few Euro on buying the seeds from a grower. You can get them on line no problem.
    Good luck, and maybe post some pics now and again. If they like where you have them, they will grow fairly fast and reward you with lots of scovilles...
    Should I grow a few seperatly first in the toilet rolls them stick them into a bigger pot after they "take"?

Should I grow a few seperatly first in the toilet rolls them stick them into a bigger pot after they "take"?
    yes, make your "seeding pots" from the cardboard cores and put 1 seed in each, about 2 cm deep. Don't over water, don't let them dry out either. Once the plants show, keep an eye on them. Don't disturb them in any way until you have at least 6 "real" leaves. the first and possibly second set of leaves may drop of, that's normal. Sometimes they don't, it depends on the type of chili you grow. Once you have an "established" plant, just transfer it, container and all, into it's final large pot, keep sunny and warm, and enjoy. You should be getting your first chilies about 3 - 4 months later, Irish weather gods willing...

Grew some delicious little red peppers from seed, in pots on a window sill. The peppers were about 3 inches long, but so full of flavour that one would take an average spaghetti sauce up to a new level.

Peace lilies are said to be good for air quality (they like being next to a computer), and are very easy to grow/hard to kill.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast