Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 71 of 71

Thread: O'Connor's Alliance - New Hope for the Left or a Cynical Gambit ?

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    High Wycombe.
    Posts
    225

    Default Re: O'Connor's Alliance - New Hope for the Left or a Cynical Gambit ?

    Well that wasn't my intention to use it in that way. For me civil society is actually what the protests are doing, bringing people back together as communities to work together.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,964

    Default Re: O'Connor's Alliance - New Hope for the Left or a Cynical Gambit ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Launchbury View Post
    Well that wasn't my intention to use it in that way. For me civil society is actually what the protests are doing, bringing people back together as communities to work together.
    The people who've promoted the idea of "civil society" might think the the water protestors very uncivil indeed.

    They are more interested in building networks of unelected people who will not prevent privatisation and who will give a democratic gloss to very undemocratic governments.

    http://www.ogpireland.ie/what-does-o...vernment-mean/

    I bet if you watch out for this, you will spot it going on.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,964

    Default Re: O'Connor's Alliance - New Hope for the Left or a Cynical Gambit ?

    Socialist Party is concerned that a Sinn Fein - ICTU alliance would lead to a sectarian split in Trade Unionism in Ireland.

    http://socialistparty.ie/2015/03/tra...ngerous-times/
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  4. #64
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The West
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: O'Connor's Alliance - New Hope for the Left or a Cynical Gambit ?

    May I request that you change the inaccurate and highly loaded heading on this thread so that the issue may be discussed.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    High Wycombe.
    Posts
    225

    Default Re: O'Connor's Alliance - New Hope for the Left or a Cynical Gambit ?

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Socialist Party is concerned that a Sinn Fein - ICTU alliance would lead to a sectarian split in Trade Unionism in Ireland.

    http://socialistparty.ie/2015/03/tra...ngerous-times/
    I don't understand where this anti Sinn Fein slant has suddenly come from in the Socialist party, is it a fall out from the Tallaght by-election? I agree with them on the idea that there is a cosying up to SInn Fein from some leaders of the union movement though.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    5,113

    Default Re: O'Connor's Alliance - New Hope for the Left or a Cynical Gambit ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Launchbury View Post
    I don't understand where this anti Sinn Fein slant has suddenly come from in the Socialist party, is it a fall out from the Tallaght by-election? I agree with them on the idea that there is a cosying up to SInn Fein from some leaders of the union movement though.
    Suddenly? The trots have loathed republicans for years.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,964

    Default Re: O'Connor's Alliance - New Hope for the Left or a Cynical Gambit ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Binn Beal View Post
    May I request that you change the inaccurate and highly loaded heading on this thread so that the issue may be discussed.
    What would you suggest that the thread should be called ? I thought is was a title that allowed people to take a negative, positive, or in between view of these events.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,409

    Default Re: O'Connor's Alliance - New Hope for the Left or a Cynical Gambit ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Launchbury View Post
    I don't understand where this anti Sinn Fein slant has suddenly come from in the Socialist party, is it a fall out from the Tallaght by-election? I agree with them on the idea that there is a cosying up to SInn Fein from some leaders of the union movement though.
    This statement from the Socialist Party is focussed on the actions of elements of the trade union leadership - not SF. The TU leaders have a responsibility to ensure the continued unity of the trade unions on this island. These individuals are playing with fire and could possibly succeed in dividing the unions along sectarian lines - something that the worst of paramilitary activity could achieve.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    High Wycombe.
    Posts
    225

    Default Re: O'Connor's Alliance - New Hope for the Left or a Cynical Gambit ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    This statement from the Socialist Party is focussed on the actions of elements of the trade union leadership - not SF. The TU leaders have a responsibility to ensure the continued unity of the trade unions on this island. These individuals are playing with fire and could possibly succeed in dividing the unions along sectarian lines - something that the worst of paramilitary activity could achieve.
    If we took that attitude of permanently living in the past we would be all in the process of expressing our shame at the events of 1916, a bit like John Bruton I suppose.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,409

    Default Re: O'Connor's Alliance - New Hope for the Left or a Cynical Gambit ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Launchbury View Post
    If we took that attitude of permanently living in the past we would be all in the process of expressing our shame at the events of 1916, a bit like John Bruton I suppose.
    Could you please explain how raising concerns about future possibilities of a split in the trade union movement in the North along sectarian lines is 'permanently living in the past'?

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    High Wycombe.
    Posts
    225

    Default Re: O'Connor's Alliance - New Hope for the Left or a Cynical Gambit ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    Could you please explain how raising concerns about future possibilities of a split in the trade union movement in the North along sectarian lines is 'permanently living in the past'?
    Using Sinn Fein's past as a stick to beat them with is what I'm referring to. Funnily enough any of my northern colleagues in the union movement are more concerned with their backing of the Stormont house agreement and the messing going on with that than any sectarian divide.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us