Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Bus Éireann cuts routes ...

Default Re: Bus Éireann cuts routes ...

Quote Originally Posted by barrym View Post
    An all outer will not go well for, FG or FF, if there is a GE.
    All out it is, today. All buses and trains were stopped without notice in Dublin this morning in a solid unofficial action.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...90908693621168
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Bus Eireann on strike for a week and no word from Ross. Dublin Bus out for one day ....and he is on Morning Ireland. Giving his Mrs T impersonation. A lot of people I know had great time for him and Stephen Donnelly. Articulate, intelligent , not tainted by association with old FFFG politics . Let's break the mould bla bla. Just a rerun of the PDs. Meanwhile , how sickening to hear RTE simply repeat the govt/ management press releases practically verbatim. They too will be privatised in their turn....

Quote Originally Posted by Donal Og View Post
    Bus Eireann on strike for a week and no word from Ross. Dublin Bus out for one day ....and he is on Morning Ireland. Giving his Mrs T impersonation. A lot of people I know had great time for him and Stephen Donnelly. Articulate, intelligent , not tainted by association with old FFFG politics . Let's break the mould bla bla. Just a rerun of the PDs. Meanwhile , how sickening to hear RTE simply repeat the govt/ management press releases practically verbatim. They too will be privatised in their turn....
    RTE children's programmes have already gone. I guess even now Noonan is in negotiation with Fox and Bloomberg to take over News and Current Affairs.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    All out it is, today. All buses and trains were stopped without notice in Dublin this morning in a solid unofficial action.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...90908693621168
    But.... it will unfortunately not help. The right wing will be delighted that it was illegal and the unions "backed down" in their view. The anti-union law writers will be looking for extensions to the legislative baseline.

When I said an all-out I meant a real, voted for, strike. Nothing less will shock right wingers into realising that privatisation as a panacea for all worker related "ills" is a non-runner.

OTOH, one must ask why a company 100% owned by the state sets up a subsidiary in direct competition with the private sector, supposedly to boost the coffers of the state company and then lets it lose a hat of money. One might assume the whole thing was an opportunity to dump some of the work force.

But.... it will unfortunately not help. The right wing will be delighted that it was illegal and the unions "backed down" in their view. The anti-union law writers will be looking for extensions to the legislative baseline.

When I said an all-out I meant a real, voted for, strike. Nothing less will shock right wingers into realising that privatisation as a panacea for all worker related "ills" is a non-runner.

OTOH, one must ask why a company 100% owned by the state sets up a subsidiary in direct competition with the private sector, supposedly to boost the coffers of the state company and then lets it lose a hat of money. One might assume the whole thing was an opportunity to dump some of the work force.
    The service is an absurdity. However, it could be made sensible. What's needed is intercity services and local services, not a few meandering routes that try to be both. It's pure insanity. Still, I support the drivers and keeping a public service.

As well as privatisation, this may also be about dropping the costs of "free travel".
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

I support the drivers and keeping a public service.

As well as privatisation, this may also be about dropping the costs of "free travel".
    What does the free travel thing mean? The grey vote element will not buy it if it means any reduction.

What does the free travel thing mean? The grey vote element will not buy it if it means any reduction.
    Getting rid of these routes will hit mainly unemployed and poor older voters. Don't think FG would give a damn. Such is the deficit in rural transport that even most people on benefits have a car, it being viewed as an essential for survival.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Poland is not a wealthy country, and inequality is shockingly in your face here and yet every small city of 50-60'000 people has a functioning bus and tram service.

The concept of any sort of service to the public, at a reasonable expense, is beyond the most overtly 100% rightwing govt. we have had in some years. Essentially since 2011 the govt. has been more rightwing than almost any that went before(I mean rightwing in every single area bar all-out spending cuts-for the moment-though those will surely return too with Brexit used an excuse to cut subventions further as well as to cut services).

The dumping of the bus and rail services and the mass redundancies that will follow are probably viewed by FG and co. as more important than another term in office to put it bluntly.

I blame people to some extent for never demanding real investment in public services. The lack of a full national rail service and a tram development agency for the regional cities/larger towns is what I mean by real investment, as well as building the metro.

Compared to even much poorer countries in eastern Europe, Ireland has a 1930's transport system only our train service is much worse than back then in some ways.

FG will achieve on CIE what they failed to do with Irish Water. FF will let them do it and then when they are finally no longer scared of an election, they will pull the plug. They could have pulled it over O' Sullivan but the public are not yet blaming FG enough for the chaos in govt.

It will get so bad and so many scandals and immoral things will happen over the next 12-18 months that the people will beg FF to pull the plug.

FG voters are the most amoral voters in Ireland, whatever about intelligence and believing in anything they are just sick sick ignorant people who do not believe in your right to join a union.

John Halligan seems to be okay with this too as he was defending his buddy Shane on Eamon Dunphy's podcast yesterday. He might think sticking in there for some second Cath Lab is worth it but he's a wally if he thinks he isn't being played in every other area. Is another Cath lab really worth destroying so many people's lives should Bus Eireann be driven to the wall? A lot can be excused once a 'company' is sold to the public as 'in administration' and many eegits in the Dail and FF and the Independent Alliance won't realise FG's agenda until it's too late.

I would say Ross is just not bothered rather than anything else. He also does not realise he will take the flak for the chaos and the ruin of the service as FG put him there to be the fallman for this.

FG are sitting pretty-everything ready to be pawned off, FF tolerating any scandal and really unwilling to seek Noonan's or O'Sullivan's heads, and Enda could well last until the next election. They may lose some seats but they are getting what they and their mates want.

Not having a functioning and affordable transport service is just another reaosn not to go back to Ireland. Most young workers could not but dream of affording a car.

The public really ought to be giving it to Halligan and 1 or 2 of the less rightwing Indo's in the neck if they want to stop this but the public is more concerned largely with wishing Bus drivers and Train drivers had as few rights as themselves and they are out in force whinging on the radio and the box about how all strikes should be illegal yet again.

Irish people have a lot of common sense when it comes to democratic issues and constitutional matters but they have very little sympathy for anyone else when it comes to taking on the establishment. If this was anyone else striking the response would be the same.

Of course what I mean is most of those(60%) who bother voting are rightwing and selfish morons. About half of that 60% of those who bother to vote are FG voters or rightwing Indo voters and would be extreme in their views too.

I would welcome a dose of the Sidewinder's about now. A 7 day strike and a govt. manages to ignore it is a sign that they mean to ignore it though in my view and the public seem indifferent except to blame the workers.
    Last edited by Apjp; 02-04-2017 at 02:54 AM.

Getting rid of these routes will hit mainly unemployed and poor older voters. Don't think FG would give a damn. Such is the deficit in rural transport that even most people on benefits have a car, it being viewed as an essential for survival.
    Quite, and FG knows that. They want an end result which gets rid of "CIE" and replaces it, a bit, with rural transport, a service which is directly run by the Dept on a votes to be got basis.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910