Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Murphy TD and Three Others Arrested in Connection with Water Charge Protest

Default Re: Paul Murphy TD and Three Others Arrested in Connection with Water Charge Protest

Leaders Questions will be fun tomorrow. I wonder who's up for the Technical Group?

Default Re: Paul Murphy TD and Three Others Arrested in Connection with Water Charge Protest

Quote Originally Posted by morticia View Post
    I think this was a misguided attempt by our somewhat authoritarian right wing government to try and prevent the likes of Burton being kettled by protesters again.

Own goal. A lot of people I know were disgusted at the actions of the protesters at the time (also over the Michael D incident more recently).

I'm not familiar enough with the intricate legalities of who can be arrested for what, but this seems to me to be politically motivated and I doubt the Gardai moved on this on their own initiative if (as claimed above), they were thanking Murphy at the time.

So, who ordered the arrests? And do they have that right, in legal terms?

I'm not sure many of the middle classes will be weeping buckets over Murphy, though, either. He made himself very unpopular in some circles with the whole "elected to break the law" thing. I do think that also was an own goal, there's a fair amount of solidarity with the less well off out there, but statements like that put people off. They'll vote PBP instead, probably. SF is tarred with the illegality brush too, for historical reasons.

Just commenting on conversations I've heard, not my own view point.

Personally, I think all sides are well in the wrong; not happy with the arrests, but Burton's car shouldn't have been shaken, nor Michael D insulted. It's creating a big divide where more solidarity might have been possible.

Mind you, business people are utterly uncompassionate. They've been paying business rates all along, don'tcha know,so everyone else should have been too. Gngngh.

Doubt FG core electorate will be bothered, I'm afraid
    Who cares what the middle classes and chattering classes think???

Irish protest culture is so colonial that shaking car or sitting in front of a car is seen as violent. One loud public insult against the President is then treated as treason.

God help FG/LAB if they climb back in with a much slimmer majority with a few gene pool indos and it really kicks off.

They have it too good with no threat from Nazis and no petrol bombs/cars being burnt out.

Just as well there is no real crime to investigate

THIRTY-Three more arrests are being planned by gardaí as part of the same investigation that led to the detention of Anti-Austerity Alliance TD Paul Murphy.

The Dublin politician and three other men spent several hours in custody yesterday answering questions about the alleged false imprisonment of Tánaiste Joan Burton during an anti-water charge protect in Tallaght.

It is understood that those still facing arrest will be questioned in connection with public order offences, violent disorder, criminal damage, assault and theft.

Detectives believe there is enough evidence to recommend more serious criminal charges against a number of individuals and bring them before the courts.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/c...-30978649.html
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Paul Reynolds, RTE's crime correspondent, was on RTE News yesterday talking about the TD Paul Murphy, he's normally on TV talking about gangland drug dealers and murders and the like.

A very clumsy attempt to tarnish a section of the opposition that might get bigger in terms of support with a "criminal" tag. It will backfire and the electorate will see through it, might even win a bit of support for Murphy and others.

Quote Originally Posted by goatstoe View Post
    Paul Reynolds, RTE's crime correspondent, was on RTE News yesterday talking about the TD Paul Murphy, he's normally on TV talking about gangland drug dealers and murders and the like.

A very clumsy attempt to tarnish a section of the opposition that might get bigger in terms of support with a "criminal" tag. It will backfire and the electorate will see through it, might even win a bit of support for Murphy and others.
    It will definitely get more support for Murphy and for the campaign,but it is also divisive and will harden the political divide.

It is not new for a punitive approach to be taken to protestors. After O'Connell Street some people were sent down for years for actions that if they had happened in a drunken Saturday night's brawl would not got any jail sentence. Gardai in Ireland are less likely to intervene by knocking heads or kettling than in the UK or France, and more likely to stand back, watch and come after people months later.

If the people who had been arrested on the first day had not been elected representatives, there would have been little comment. But they were, and the arrests were designed to give a message to political leaders.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Ouch!

I hear there were more arrests today. [might be an idea to rename thread?]

From the 16 year old arrested today

So today i was awoken with a powerful team of ten garda (9 detective 1 uniform) at my house, i was awoken to them by their very loud banging on my front door, anyway then next thing i knew the garda were swarmed all over our house and into a detective car with me and my mam in a separate car. Upon arriving at the station i had to sign various custody forms etc... and then into the cold,dirty distraughting prison cell that experience alone was sicking and traumatizing! Through the course of my interview the garda's asked various questions and showed cctv footage of the peaceful protest in jobstown they also put it to me on numerous occasions that i was the ring leader their word's not mine i must state i was not a leader or an organizer that day or ever! My experience today was most traumatizing and sickening respect for the gards is as low than ever before due to the manor in which this was dealt with. I'm clearly a 16 year old lad who stands up for what he belives is right and ill continue to do so. If the tanaiste can have a 16 year old lad missing a day from school just to get him accused of false accusation's in the most frighting way possible well that must tel you something. 10 guards for a lad 16 and people robbing houses and old people, get to lie in bed peacefully and get away with it while garda resources are out in 10's and 6's arresting juveniles! I have done lots of t.v and newspaper interviews today so be prepared to see me alot over this week haha. Thanks for all the messages and texts and for the people who protested outside the station today! My interview is on the tv3 player under tv3 news at 5:30

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. FIVE View Post
    Well done.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Good coverage of these arrests on TV3's 5.30 News this evening followed by a piece on an anti-eviction protest in Cork city. Nothing that's likely to see the light of day on RTE.
    Link here:
    http://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/450/0/0/The-5%3A30

Another teenager and another AAA member arrested this morning

Incredible bullshit on government benches today

What seems to be a heavily edited video of Ruth Coppinger questioning Burton on the 17 arrests of men, women and children who protested in Jobstown. Meal made over Coppinger using the term "call out the dogs" in relation to the arrests. Coppinger said she was not referring to the Gardai. The term seems to have been pretty accurately used to me - big distraction from what is going on with these mass arrests.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/polit...dogs-1.2101352
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Incredible bullshit on government benches today

Burton gives out about rhetoric and the use of words. Then she ploughs on to illustrate her ignorance of the constitution by declaring that the gardaí are independent according to it. Despite the constitution declaring no such thing.

Personally, I like the dogs comment. I'd include the gardaí in the mix as well as the usual gang of propagandists and other morons.

The disingenuousness required to seize on the dog phrase really underlines how little argument they have left, if they ever had one.

meanwhile..

behold

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast