Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Murphy TD and Three Others Arrested in Connection with Water Charge Protest

Default Re: Paul Murphy TD and Three Others Arrested in Connection with Water Charge Protest

Interesting to re-read this report from last Monday

Tanaiste Joan Burton today described the recent outbreaks of violence at water protests as “worrying” because of what she described as the “change in the tenor and tone of a very small group of people"
    This was echoed by the Garda Commissioner Noirin O’Sullivan who said that the abuse hurled at President Higgins by protesters at a recent event in a school in Finglas was “unacceptable.”Read more: Protesters call Michael D Higgins 'midget parasite'
    Ms O’Sullivan said: “People are entitled to democratically protest in a fair and democratic society - what is very worrying is the change and tone and sentiment of that type of protest, particularly in terms of our members, the men and women of An Garda Siochana and the abuse that members are putting up with.”

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-30957372.html

Default Re: Paul Murphy TD and Three Others Arrested in Connection with Water Charge Protest

Paul Murphy has just been released

I don't like Noírín's tone. Like her I have no state or lawfully granted right to do anything about it. Nonetheless, it seems my dislike is grounded in more substance than Noírín's. Unlike Noírín I don't have any legal impediments with regard to participating in the political process. It's right to be worried that the alleged breath of fresh air is indoctrinating new recruits with her delusions.

As for Joan. She can tell it to the judge and after that she can explain herself and all that she's declared.

My bet is that she'll not want her alleged beliefs held up before legal scrutiny.

I like it that she doesn't like the tone. Most folks don't like being disliked. Most of us get over it.

This is pathetic. I can recall the IFA blockading (and attempting to storm) a hotel in Killarney where EU Agriculture Ministers were meeting and the EU Farm Commissioner, Franz Fischler, having to be taken out by helicopter. Yet no one was ever charged with imprisoning anyone.

If this goes to court the defence lawyers should compile a lengthy dossier of all the protests where politicians were inconvenienced over the years, call witnesses etc., and demonstrate without a shadow of a doubt the issue of vexatious prosecution.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Frankly appalled that people would suggest the gardaí make arrests for political motives. There isn't even a bond repayment due today.

I'd be confident in what Seanie Ryan said.

No prosecution can happen without Burton being made to look a complete fool on the Stand.

This arrest was thick as well as stupid. The AAA just doubled their Dublin seat take.

The parties that ordered the arrests of public representatives today - and the last two issues of their Sunday paper - were bleating about bringing parliament into disrepute. Nothing like jailing the opposition to bring parliament into disrepute.

Default Paul Murphy TD and Three Others Arrested in Connection with Water Charge Protest

I think this was a misguided attempt by our somewhat authoritarian right wing government to try and prevent the likes of Burton being kettled by protesters again.

Own goal. A lot of people I know were disgusted at the actions of the protesters at the time (also over the Michael D incident more recently).

I'm not familiar enough with the intricate legalities of who can be arrested for what, but this seems to me to be politically motivated and I doubt the Gardai moved on this on their own initiative if (as claimed above), they were thanking Murphy at the time.

So, who ordered the arrests? And do they have that right, in legal terms?

I'm not sure many of the middle classes will be weeping buckets over Murphy, though, either. He made himself very unpopular in some circles with the whole "elected to break the law" thing. I do think that also was an own goal, there's a fair amount of solidarity with the less well off out there, but statements like that put people off. They'll vote PBP instead, probably. SF is tarred with the illegality brush too, for historical reasons.

Just commenting on conversations I've heard, not my own view point.

Personally, I think all sides are well in the wrong; not happy with the arrests, but Burton's car shouldn't have been shaken, nor Michael D insulted. It's creating a big divide where more solidarity might have been possible.

Mind you, business people are utterly uncompassionate. They've been paying business rates all along, don'tcha know,so everyone else should have been too. Gngngh.

Doubt FG core electorate will be bothered, I'm afraid
    Last edited by morticia; 09-02-2015 at 08:26 PM.
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves "

Murphy will be on the Claire Byrne show tonight
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

RTE claiming Joan was "trapped in her car"

From what I saw, the car was stopped from driving. Nobody seemed intent on keeping Joan in the car, and I never saw her try to leave

If a person chooses to remain in a stationary car, how is that being trapped?
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

the blueshirts were formed on this day in 1932

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. FIVE View Post
    Frankly appalled that people would suggest the gardaí make arrests for political motives. There isn't even a bond repayment due today.
    Ah, but there was the HSBC story about them facilitating tax evasion by 350 Irish "entrepreneurs"...a story which has been completely buried by this political policing stunt.

It may not have started off very brightly but it's turning into a very good day for Paul Murphy.

his only crime was letting Joan Burton free to do more damage.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast