Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Murphy TD and Three Others Arrested in Connection with Water Charge Protest

Default Paul Murphy TD and Three Others Arrested in Connection with Water Charge Protest

It was reported this morning on RTE news that Paul Murphy TD was one of four people arrested at seven o'clock this morning and being held in various different Dublin Garda Stations. He may be held for up to 24 hours for questioning. The arrests relate to the protest against Joan Burton and to allegations of 'false imprisonment'.

There were two arrests on the day and a large Garda presence at the protest.

Joe Higgins TD has said that the arrest is outrageous.

There is a long tradition of public protest against politicians that is part of the democratic process and TDs as elected representatives have duties to stand by the interests of those who elect them.

It is probably not accidental that the arrest is on a day on which the Daíl does not sit.

Yesterday there was very obvious plain clothes police monitoring of events at which SYRIZA TDs spoke in Dublin.

Questions over political policing under a Government determined to push through highly unpopular measures come up.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 09-02-2015 at 07:44 AM.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Default Re: Paul Murphy TD and Three Others Arrested in Connection with Water Charge Protest

Pickets on Tallaght, Sundrive, Rathfarnam and Terenure barracks ongoing, as is the detention of the 4 political prisoners. Get over or get down your local barracks and demand their release! Smash political policing!
    Two of the other people arrested are AA Councillors.

It is worth remembering that the protest was not organised by the AA / SP, and that they joined it a while after it started. Paul Murphy said in interviews that he was thanked by the police for contributing to the situation (very angry local people) being brought to an end.

Six police went to Murphy's home this morning.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Default Re: Paul Murphy TD and Three Others Arrested in Connection with Water Charge Protest

Pat Kenny on Newstalk has dropped his affected, neutral-journalist pretence and is openly talking down callers and giving the Irish Water/Government line.

If Fine-Lab think that arresting opponents will help them politically, they seriously misunderstand the Irish people.

Murphy was supposed to speak at a meeting in KK today. One of the people arrested is a member of eirigi
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    Murphy was supposed to speak at a meeting in KK today. One of the people arrested is a member of eirigi
    Well, they have taken nearly three months choosing who to arrest.

I guess the meeting will go ahead anyway.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Murphy is in Terenure Garda Station, according to his partner, on RTE.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by Binn Beal View Post
    Pat Kenny on Newstalk has dropped his affected, neutral-journalist pretence and is openly talking down callers and giving the Irish Water/Government line.

If Fine-Lab think that arresting opponents will help them politically, they seriously misunderstand the Irish people.
    I completely agree.

Sean O'Rourke was finding it very difficult to conceal his jubilation when talking to Ruth Coppinger this morning as well. "Of course this is manna from heaven for you people' he concluded.

Garry O'Flynn, ex FF Cork City Councillor, is stealing the limelight today with his guilty plea re soliciting murder of a Guard, revenue official and others.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

This isn't before a court yet so there's little chance that I'm going to go into sub judice behaviour.

Murphy is in serious peril. He took part in what he recognised as a negotiation for her release with the gardaí.

Methinks we're going to have a "that's just what you say for the electorate," discussion in a courtroom.

Another discussion that will assuredly raise its head is that the right to protest is a competing right, with the right to both privacy and the right to operate and move about freely.

What's really interesting here is that folks were arrested rather than summonsed. This means they are hoping to gather evidence from these detentions, I hope folks remember to say "no comment," in answer to any questions asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Seán Ryan View Post
    This isn't before a court yet so there's little chance that I'm going to go into sub judice behaviour.

Murphy is in serious peril. He took part in what he recognised as a negotiation for her release with the gardaí.

Methinks we're going to have a "that's just what you say for the electorate," discussion in a courtroom.

Another discussion that will assuredly raise its head is that the right to protest is a competing right, with the right to both privacy and the right to operate and move about freely.

What's really interesting here is that folks were arrested rather than summonsed. This means they are hoping to gather evidence from these detentions, I hope folks remember to say "no comment," in answer to any questions asked.
    What we don't know is if he was asked to by the Gardai or whether the Gardai encouraged or acceded to whatever it was he did or didn't do. He was certainly thanked by them. In which case would they also be implicated in whatever ?

I agree that details of the case are best avoided until we know whether there are charges or not. But it looks to me like a rerun on a grand scale of the Clare Daly set up which ended with the Guards with self-applied egg all over their faces.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    What we don't know is if he was asked to by the Gardai or whether the Gardai encouraged or acceded to whatever it was he did or didn't do. He was certainly thanked by them. In which case would they also be implicated in whatever ?

I agree that details of the case are best avoided until we know whether there are charges or not. But it looks to me like a rerun on a grand scale of the Clare Daly set up which ended with the Guards with self-applied egg all over their faces.
    There's no doubt in my mind that the gardaí have already messed this up beyond repair, before ever adding that they've bitten off at lot more than they can chew in this particular argument.

I've worded what I have said very carefully in my last post. It's very stark and on it's own, looks a lot. But context is everything and that is where the second point I made lies.

I don't want to get into it at this point as it'd be jumping the guns a bit. But I think the defendants to be have an opportunity here.

The state has some choices to make too. Summons Joan, to have her and her government humiliated on the stand, or have the matter thrown out for want of gathering evidence.

Popcorn and hasmat suit time.

PK never tries very hard to hide his Thatcherite politics. I recall him suggesting to the chair of Bewlays that social welfare should be cut. This was quite unprompted btw and was said in response to Bewlays complaint that Irish people were not applying for jobs at the ould caff. PK said perhaps the then Finance Minister - B.Aherne - should 'take a look at ' welfare payments. I was working for the minimum wage at the time and , from then on, I started to really listen to the Squatter's Friend. A slippery slimeball to be sure.

Timmy Dooley was bang on the money for once.

Talk about making political martyrs of people. 1 TD and 2 Councillors from the one party arrested and an activist from another party.

This could get very embarrassing for either side, or indeed both sides.

I was surpised to hear Paul Murphy arrested this morning. It only indicates that this govt FG/Lab govt has gone too far as they sounded more like a communist party in Stalin era, when these days when their loyal police state arresting any dissent people, who had voiced their objections. It's a free world and also expression of free speech whether they like it or not.

The appointment of new Garda commissioner is a political one indeed as it speaks for itself re this morning arrest of Paul Murphy. They are in bed together on this as i strongly advocated for a new face for that commissioner job with no baggage whatsoever at all.

They are trying to defuse many fires around such as Irish water issue and other matters as cronyism, debts, govt pensions, Ceann Barrett as well.That isn't a very good sign at all once, new left party is set up and running. Then they will lose votes as it will go other direction.

No set up of new left party now further adds more uncertainty in the political landscape as people unsure of their voting intentions. Hence their intentions are in 'hold' positions.
    Last edited by disability student; 09-02-2015 at 02:25 PM.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast