Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hypocrisy of Saudi Arabia

Default Re: Hypocrisy of Saudi Arabia

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    At least the Scots are made if sterner stuff than Enda/Joan

Sidewinder was on the money again.

While the govt. has become so ideological as to resemble fundamentalist zealots, it takes a real wingnut to authorise, nay insist on what was done.

Enter Charlie I'm not a Nazi Flanagan.

Quote Originally Posted by morticia View Post
    reform, opposed by the imams every step of the way.
    We know a little about that ourselves, don't we?

(Not on the same scale, natch, but then there are geopolitical reasons for that too.)

Default Hypocrisy of Saudi Arabia

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Bennett View Post
    We know a little about that ourselves, don't we?

(Not on the same scale, natch, but then there are geopolitical reasons for that too.)
    Well, yes. Indeed. I do think Abdullah tried, probably to a similar extent as Haughey or Fitzgerald here. And as we know from here, if you keep chipping away at that edifice, sometimes it crumbles all of a sudden....

A Bishop Casey style scandal amongst the clerics would probably assist liberalisation a tad.

If the West really wanted change down there, putting a few seasoned paparazzi on the trails of senior clerics might move mountains....
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves "

Quote Originally Posted by morticia View Post
    Well, yes. Indeed. I do think Abdullah tried, probably to a similar extent as Haughey or Fitzgerald here. And as we know from here, if you keep chipping away at that edifice, sometimes it crumbles all of a sudden....

A Bishop Casey style scandal amongst the clerics would probably assist liberalisation a tad.

If the West really wanted change down there, putting a few seasoned paparazzi on the trails of senior clerics might move mountains....
    Interesting idea, but I don't know if even that would work : http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...y-8480440.html
    Not sure if it's because they have even got it all covered there, when something like that isn't enough to make ordinary people think again.

Or maybe child abuse is just not as big a sin in any religion as good old-fashioned fornication or adultery (with an adult).

I'm very disappointed. I would have thought the death penalty under the circs would have been the least they could do...sigh.
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves "

Saudi study on the phenomenon of "Runaway" or "Escaped" women.

http://www.arabnews.com/saudi-arabia/news/839666
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

While some refer to ISIS as "head hackers", it is worth noting that Saudi Arabia has carried out 175 beheadings in Riyadh's famous "Chop-Chop Square" in the last year... a lot more than ISIS.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Kenny and Flanagan - beneath contempt. For anyone who has missed it, Kenny was caught out blatantly lying about whether or not he had mentioned women's rights when in Saudi Arabia. And a vow of silence about how Ireland voted Saudi Arabia onto the UN Commission on Women's Rights.

Meanwhile, Trump is heading to Saudi with billions of arms contracts central to the business. And the oil is pumping again. Millions on the verge of starvation in US/Saudi-bombed Yemen.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN18124K
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234