Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypocrisy of Saudi Arabia

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Default Hypocrisy of Saudi Arabia

Wahabbism is the cornerstone of Saudi Arabian society. It informs everything from how women are treated to their jurisprudence and dictates society and its functions. In the aftermath of the murders of the Charlie Hebdo magazine, Saudi govt was extremely quick in its condemnations of the attacks. Preaching about how free speech is important days later they flogged blogger Raif Badawi. Badwis crime? Posting criticism of the religious police and the Saudi establishment. Saudi police arrested him and charged him with apostasy - abandoning his religion. Badwai is not expected to survive the whippings as they will continue on a Friday outside his local mosque in Jeddah for 20 weeks. Articles on this warranted a minor link on some websites. The Guardian covered it in detail. Governments have not condemned this action in Saudi Arabia nor the oppression of other minorities. Saudi Arabia is their friend, they let them put military basis in their country, supply cheap oil...
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Default Re: Hypocrisy of Saudi Arabia

Yes, it really is amazing that Saudi Arabia has decided to go ahead with this at the same time as they parade their "free speech" credentials over the Paris incidents. I guess it shows how little they care that their hypocrisy is visible to the rest of the world, they know nothing will be done about them.

Words fail me (even though this is my first post, ironically!)

The Saudis are some bucks.

There is one solution; in two words, oil independence.
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves "

some graphic stuff here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	free Raifjpg.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	900
    (click pic to enlarge)

(Translates into: "for those who never thought writing in a blog could harm your back "
    Last edited by random new yorker; 17-01-2015 at 07:27 PM.

fluffy: he is not expected to survive as they will flog him every friday for 20 weeks.
    last friday they didnt flog him for medical reasons (!) - just in case you're thinking this is pure cruelty (!)

to the membership here i'd like to ask

how do you label these people?

(not all saudis of course, but it certainly ain't working very well for like minded people over there)

would you be ok if I choose to use 'unspeakable barbarians'

maybe if i use 'savages' you would give me a pass?

(eagerly waiting for the flood of accusations on how the US is a major ally of SA)

(before the BS starts may I remind you: so are you (Ireland, the country, not you people)
    Last edited by random new yorker; 17-01-2015 at 09:37 PM.

Flogging is indeed a savage punishment. However, we can't expect anyone very much to stand up to the Saudis while we are all still oil dependent. For the sake of the planet and for human rights, we need alternative energy and we need it fast, then we could give the medievalists the 2 finger salute.

But even that is impossible to get any unity on; local gas and oil is impossible to exploit because no-one wants any rigs or refineries anywhere near anything here, nuclear is a no go for the same reason, and even more efficient pylons are resisted.

One can take it from that that the majority are not interested in improving the lot of the world's Raif Badawis....although perhaps they just aren't joining the dots.
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves "

let me give you an example of alternative use of energy that was COMPLETELY ignored by the powers that be in Portugal (cos you know what would happen to all those tax dollars (sorry euro) that result from using a lot of oil at the pump (24% IVA/sales tax goes to the gov) PLUS the gov taxes a car in 50% of its original price (ex, a 20,000$ costs 40,000$).

the former was technology developed by students in a Portuguese university that allows an older highly consuming (oil) car to run on electric energy; i have no idea what they did but they use an example of a 1992-1993 Volvo AKA gas guzler and claim it can now go 100km on 1 Euro.
    Last edited by random new yorker; 17-01-2015 at 09:49 PM.

RNY: (eagerly waiting for the flood of accusations on how the US is a major ally of SA)
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ia-arms-dealá¸
    It's not an accusation, it's a fact but I assume nobody is accusing you or any of the 99% of involvement in the Empire's dirty doings.

Quote Originally Posted by Binn Beal View Post
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ia-arms-dealá¸
    It's not an accusation, it's a fact but I assume nobody is accusing you or any of the 99% of involvement in the Empire's dirty doings.
    so my point is this

you guys being recognized as the Goodest country in the world and having done a great job with the Palestinian cause you think you can give us an explanation for your (people of Ireland) lack of interest in human right abuses rampant in SA and other oil gulf countries??

are you folks protesting in front of the Saudi embassy?

is it cos you too are their allies?

is it cos you are allies with the US which are their allies and provide the backbone for stability and security so oil can be moved about the globe?

so

what do you think?

Arrow Re: Hypocrisy of Saudi Arabia

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    last friday they didnt flog him for medical reasons (!) - just in case you're thinking this is pure cruelty (!)

to the membership here i'd like to ask

how do you label these people?
    /
    (not all saudis of course, but it certainly ain't working very well for like minded people over there)

would you be ok if I choose to use 'unspeakable barbarians'

maybe if i use 'savages' you would give me a pass?

(eagerly waiting for the flood of accusations on how the US is a major ally of SA)

(before the BS starts may I remind you: so are you (Ireland, the country, not you people)
    The Saudi Kleptocracy are not so much savages as brutal dictators. If they were savages they'd know no better, they do know better, they choose to rule with an iron fist because their grip on power relies on it.

They can do what they like because their wealth and oil tap makes them extremely powerful. I don't see how we in Ireland are supposed to be their allies. We trade with them like we trade with China, we're neither's allies.

The self appointed word policeman recently entered into a $60bn arms sale to them, is a military ally of them, is working with them on propping up the brutal Bahranian dictatorship. The Western media turns a blind eye to Saudi's increasing aggression in the Gulf. They and their Gulf partners have been spreading chaos across the region with impunity.

These suppliers of 911 hijackers get a free pass because they're your buds. They get to order Nuclear weapons from your other ally Pakistan and nary a word about sanctions or even a questioning of what they're up to.

The Saudi regime aren't so much the 800lb gorilla in the room as they're an 8,000lb gorilla. Unlimited resources, nukes and liable to fall to an Extreme Islamist revolution. The regime falling and those who could get their hands on the nukes and huge military resources are a huge existential threat to the region. The other threat is Israel continuing its current path and overstretching itself to the point of collapse. The Israeli's like the Saudis won't go down without emptying their Nuclear Arsenal.

Eretz Israel is a Colonial project which is why standing with the Palestinian people comes naturally to Ireland.

PS : When you guys stop the death
    penalty and torturing/disappearing of people to secret prisons and propping up savage dictatorships, then you can lecture others about who are unspeakable savages.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    The Saudi Kleptocracy are not so much savages as brutal dictators. If they were savages they'd know no better, they do know better, they choose to rule with an iron fist because their grip on power relies on it.

They can do what they like because their wealth and oil tap makes them extremely powerful. I don't see how we in Ireland are supposed to be their allies. We trade with them like we trade with China, we're neither's allies.

The self appointed word policeman recently entered into a $60bn arms sale to them, is a military ally of them, is working with them on propping up the brutal Bahranian dictatorship. The Western media turns a blind eye to Saudi's increasing aggression in the Gulf. They and their Gulf partners have been spreading chaos across the region with impunity.

These suppliers of 911 hijackers get a free pass because they're your buds. They get to order Nuclear weapons from your other ally Pakistan and nary a word about sanctions or even a questioning of what they're up to.

The Saudi regime aren't so much the 800lb gorilla in the room as they're an 8,000lb gorilla. Unlimited resources, nukes and liable to fall to an Extreme Islamist revolution. The regime falling and those who could get their hands on the nukes and huge military resources are a huge existential threat to the region. The other threat is Israel continuing its current path and overstretching itself to the point of collapse. The Israeli's like the Saudis won't go down without emptying their Nuclear Arsenal.

Eretz Israel is a Colonial project which is why standing with the Palestinian people comes naturally to Ireland.

penalty and torturing/disappearing of people to secret prisons and propping up savage dictatorships, then you can lecture others about who are unspeakable savages.

not your best up to now

so I will not bother to expand on this pile of (WOT exactly?)

(I dont think our issue is the US virtue - as we all know/accept here - as is Ireland's lack of virtue)

Should we start w the fact that You Ireland (either you people in this forum like it or not) are a European partner, a member of the pack?

so wait?

you riding that moral high horse/arse of yours once again? - over and over and over again - a mountain of the 'sit on me ass and do good mentality'

Where's your answer re Are you people protesting in front of the g-d damned Saudi embassy or not? v. we MUST protest Eretz Israel mentality that has been drilled into the back of yer brain (I mean at this point you must have your Do Gooder reputation to protect, no?)

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post

Saudis prime position as top dog in the Arab world is also good for the US in their faux war with the Iranians. Paint the Iranians into a corner and give Saudi free reign and whoosh, sectarian divisions abound. A united Arab working class like what happened in Tunisis would threaten the hegemony of human rightles Arab regimes which are dictatorships and subsequently US interests in the ares.
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    some graphic stuff here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	free Raifjpg.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	900
    (click pic to enlarge)

(Translates into: "for those who never thought writing in a blog could harm your back "
    Is it because I is a Newbie? I can't open that pic, it sends me to a message that says my account doesn't have access. It happened me with another thread too, about suggesting changes to the boards. Not that I was going to, but was just poking around, like you do.

Yes a great country which Enda commended on it's human rights record. What does it take to bean abuser in Kenny's eyes?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast