Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Politics of Sex Abuse

Default The Politics of Sex Abuse

From this years Phoenix Annual. Are there other examples of this type of behaviour from FG? Given the extensive coverup of sexual abuse by the catholic church over the years, and considering the close relationship between politics and religion in the 26 counties, surely stories like this are merely the tip of the iceberg?

Last edited by C. Flower; 11-11-2015 at 09:50 PM.

Default Re: Fine Gael and Sex Abuse

Excellent, Saoirse, well discovered. Any more details on the FF inquiry, did that provide closure for the victims eventually or was it also inadequate? I seem to remember the Wexford allegations being covered a good few years ago.
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves "

My impression is that political/'VIP' abuse scandals is not as big of an issue here as in the UK. The main problem was turning a blind eye, and frankly this extended to all areas of society. Typical of this was a comment that the late Brian Lenihan senior supposedly whispered to his aide, while visiting a residential institution when he was minister for education, "get me out of this godforsaken place".

I am however aware of some things that don't seem to have been followed up fully and the media are hopefully going to take another look at them.

The identity is not public yet. May not involve FG but they will be the ones telling the Gardai what to release

Gardai (Irish police) are investigating allegations that a former government minister sexually abused under-age boys and girls in the 1980s.
    The abuse doesn't involve intimate sexual contact and was reported to have taken place in Dublin and the midlands.

The investigation is being carried out by the Garda National Protection Services Unit.
    Its officer have interviewed others over the last six months who say they had similar experiences with the former politician.

He has yet to be interviewed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-34787684
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

My reading of what has been on the radio is that this alleged abuser was almost certainly a member of the FF-PD government in the noughties.

I have picked out 3 possibles. If one of these is charged I will honestly say if he was one of my 3.

There is also this matter, which I believe relates to a different individual (now deceased):

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/EX-POL...ed.-a062274422

I knew some politicians who had visited deaf schools were FF ministers ... Michael Woods,Liam Cosgrave etc. Not sure about Lenihan. Sometimes Christian brothers steer them away from areas where abuses take place. Hence their myopic view of deaf school in question.

Does it say govt minister or just a TD?

Quote Originally Posted by disability student View Post
    I knew some politicians who had visited deaf schools were FF ministers ... Michael Woods,Liam Cosgrave etc. Not sure about Lenihan. Sometimes Christian brothers steer them away from areas where abuses take place. Hence their myopic view of deaf school in question.

Does it say govt minister or just a TD?
    Former Minister.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Former Minister.
    Thanks. Think it's a FF govt minister not sure ...met a ex FF minister whose brother a priest who was abusing little kids.Went to a funeral where relatives of ex FF died. Ex FF's brother was told to keep mum and stay behind . Well known FF man just retired last year.

Yeah FG covered up Ferns diocese big time as i recall they made lot of noise not FF. Unfortunately i met Fr Fortune (deceased) there at a wedding, it was disgusting to hear it from people at wedding who can't even do anything.Even arrogant Howlin was there too with a woman. He must have known it anyhow re gossips. My friend filled me in re Fortune as my eyes widened with revulsed sickening feeling.
    Last edited by disability student; 11-11-2015 at 06:32 PM.

My friend filled me in re Fortune as my eyes widened with revulsed sickening feeling.
    Fortune was facing charges at the time when he took an overdose, however are persisent rumours others involved in that network got away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    Fortune was facing charges at the time when he took an overdose, however are persisent rumours others involved in that network got away with it.
    Yes there were others too. I was aware he was facing charges at that time however it was ex Bishop Herlihy who covered it up from the outset. Even a senior garda covered it up as i believe. They knew it and sat on it. I was outrageous and livid when Fr Grennan -deceased almost got scot free.

Yeah FG covered up Ferns diocese big time as i recall they made lot of noise not FF. Unfortunately i met Fr Fortune (deceased) there at a wedding, it was disgusting to hear it from people at wedding who can't even do anything.Even arrogant Howlin was there too with a woman. He must have known it anyhow re gossips. My friend filled me in re Fortune as my eyes widened with revulsed sickening feeling.
    What exactly is your point about Brendan Howlin?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiding Behind A Poster View Post
    What exactly is your point about Brendan Howlin?
    My point about Howlin is that he should have made representations on behalf of his constients re Fortune as it was common knowledge. That should apply to every TD's in Wexford not just alone Howlin.

There is no major industry in Wexford as every Wexford native had to move to cities and towns in their search for employment during when he was/is an TD during that time and now.Industries moved to other countries - Renault factory outside Wexford town closed down due to cheaper labour costs abroad.

Can you tell me or us what he had done good or postively good for Wexford ??? Nothing really at all in terms of employment/s for ten years. Where was he that time and what was he doing? He doesn't give a damn about the electorate in Wexford.

During election time, we allowed every candidate of every party just one of each party to make their pitch or practically to sell themselves and their party re our votes. He refused to come saying he not available .... an arrogant man. He's not that popular now in Wexford so i hear after all the austerity or more appropriate HARDSHIP cuts.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 11-11-2015 at 09:52 PM.

For what it's worth, my view is that today's posts should not be in this thread.
    It could be perceived that this site is linking the story with FG.
    Dodgy.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 11-11-2015 at 09:53 PM.
    "This isn't working,
    My middle-brow f**ker"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast