Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Germany moving Left?

Default Re: Germany moving Left?

I think that Merkel will almost certainly be re-elected. Schulz will simply take votes from Die Linke. There will be no net improvement in the left's position.

Meanwhile we have the tories almost impregnable in the UK and a Blairesque centrist a rock-solid certainty to be elected in France.

It looks like Europeans only want the right or the centre. The left might have to consider just giving up.

Well Die Linke and the Greens in the opinion polls but they are all setback on average is the reality I think . I know that 'giving up' feeling . Continental leftists increasingly realise it is a very long term struggle though. People need to jettison wishful thinking and denial on many issues that has crippled the left and get with on big issues like corporate tax evasion facilitation which has led to a bad era of welfare state shrinkage just to name the biggest I see. We need to actually practice internationalism to solve them that has only been token words or we'll be facing the same consequences as elsewhere once the current windfall passes . In meantime we need to look after ourselves and our support bases as far as possible and get away from pointless hectoring etc and be aware of dangers of unconscious egotism, hypocrisy, etc . A very tall order I know . Let's hope we get out-stupided
    Last edited by GregTimo; 28-03-2017 at 10:32 AM.

The spectre of Stalinists in power is mobilising Merkel's base in droves. The Social Democrats would be well advised to reach out to the Liberals (who are looking surprisingly strong in the latest polls) even if Die Linke should make the 5% cut. A coalition with the Commies in NRW will be the final nail in the coffin of Schulz' campaign.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    The spectre of Stalinists in power is mobilising Merkel's base in droves. The Social Democrats would be well advised to reach out to the Liberals (who are looking surprisingly strong in the latest polls) even if Die Linke should make the 5% cut. A coalition with the Commies in NRW will be the final nail in the coffin of Schulz' campaign.
    I think a guffaw is in order .According the wiki in English, Die Linkes East German intermediate predecessor the PDS (itself successor to the old ruling SED which already included social democrat managerial types anyhow AFAIK) abandoned Marxist-Leninism in 1989
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Left_(Germany)
    I read somewhere myself that the guys in the east have de-stalinized themsleves to such a degree that they are less stalinist than the Trotsyite component of Die Linke (SWP people have claimed their German comrades have Die Linke mp/s?) . If there are any Stalinists left they would of the 'Democratic Left' variety . If there's a problem with Die Linke it is their sheer broadness and similarity to SYRIZA . They have recently signed a 'no borders' anti G20 call and seem to be trying to attract the 'anarchist' end of the youth vote ? While simultaneously being in the city government of Berlin and leading the lander government in Thuringia . My worry is they are stretched too thin to be credible. They already lost a significant % of their support to the AFD in the east, but made up for that by taking in new votes in Berlin. Anyhow for all of our sakes I hope they avoid the SYRIZA trap

Sez Wiki?

Just because Marxism-Leninism went out of fashion in 1989 it doesn't mean they have abandoned it. And their old Stalinist cadres/Stasi networks are still very much alive and active in the East.

Link
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardbouvet View Post
    I think that Merkel will almost certainly be re-elected. Schulz will simply take votes from Die Linke. There will be no net improvement in the left's position.

Meanwhile we have the tories almost impregnable in the UK and a Blairesque centrist a rock-solid certainty to be elected in France.

It looks like Europeans only want the right or the centre. The left might have to consider just giving up.
    Quote Originally Posted by morticia View Post
    We need a more unified Pan European left really, isn't that what we're all coalescing around here, Comrades 😉?
    In any country can "The Left" ever agree amongst themselves.

They always seem to be splitting and rowing

All is well for Angela Markel. The Social Democrats may have lost yet another state and the Stalinists didn't make the 5% cut.

Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservatives thumped their Social Democrat rivals in a vote in the northern state of Schleswig-Holstein on Sunday, in a boost to her prospects of winning a national election in September.

Merkel's Christian Democrats (CDU) fetched 33 percent of the vote in Schleswig-Holstein, up from 30.8 percent in the last election there in 2012, an exit poll for broadcaster ARD showed. The Social Democrats won 26 percent, down from 30.4 percent.

The result leaves the CDU short of sufficient support to rule alone in the state, but means the SPD cannot continue to govern in coalition with the Greens and the South Schleswig Party (SSW), which represents the ethnic Danish minority.
    Link

Exit polls from the two main TV stations ARD and ZDF

Note: The SSW representing the Danish minority is exempt from the 5% cut.
    Last edited by TotalMayhem; 07-05-2017 at 04:21 PM.

Huge debacle for the Social Democrats in North Rhine-Westphalia, the most populous state of Germany.

Exit poll:

AfD seem far from obliterated too.

Regards...jmcc

Nope... and the Commies may not make the 5% cut. Quite important with regard to possible coalitions. Only if they don't make it then Merkel's CDU and the liberals (FDP) will have the majority of seats.

So the dire predictions that Germany was in a state of near revolt over Merkel's refugee policy look to have been overstated!
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    So the dire predictions that Germany was in a state of near revolt over Merkel's refugee policy look to have been overstated!
    Not quite. This is only a regional election.

Regards...jmcc

This looks much better now... seems like the Stalinists are out:

The election may have been "regional" but NRW comprises more than 20% of the German population. "St. Martin" (Schulz) and the Social Democrats are dead in the water, NRW was always considered to be their "home turf", the result also marks a historical low for them. Angela Merkel really seems to be unassailable by now.
    Last edited by TotalMayhem; 14-05-2017 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post

The election may have been "regional" but NRW comprises more than 20% of the German population. "St. Martin" (Schulz) and the Social Democrats are dead in the water, NRW was always considered to be their "home turf", the result also marks a historical low for them. Angela Merkel really seems to be unassailable by now.
    ahye ... bummer !

Genuinely sorry to see Die Linke cannot get people elected in a working class heartland.

That would not be so bad if the SPD was getting any dividend for moving left, but that has also been rejected by the voters, and meanwhile the neoliberal FDP gets stronger.

The left in the UK and Germany have come forward with progressive positions which should have a lot of appeal. It seems, however, that the voters simply do not want to know.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast