Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Uncovering Amphipolis

Default Re: The Absolute Thread of Randomness

The work on the tomb in Amphipolis has slowed down considerably with concern for the safety of the archeaologists and the excavators in mind.

Meanwhile, the first drawing of the discovery so far was released this morning.

together with this release comes the news that archeaologists are split over the age of the tomb, based on the toes of the Caryatids. Detailed examination of these toes has resulted in some archeaologists offering the opinion that the tomb may in fact be of Roman origin rather than Greek...

It was also revealed that the thrid chamber, currently being cleared of tonnes of earth, seems to lead to a lower level, offering the possibility of a 4th chamber underneath what has been found so far.
    The lack of any evidence of intrusion has given more and more strenght to the ascertion by Katerina Peristeri, head archeaologist, that the tomb was not raided and should be preserved intact.

Things are going really slow in Amphipolis. The main fear is that the removal of the filling sand may in fact weaken the structure and cause the roof or internal walls to collapse. In order to avoid this, the painstakingly slow process of supporting the structure takes precedent over digging out what has now been almost certainly the find of a 4th chamber on a lower level. Also, the base on which the Caryatids stand has now been fully revealed as a magnificent marbel base of 1.40 high, 1.36 wide and 0.72m deep. The craftmanship involved in cutting and polishing the supports is something seldom seen, according to the archeaologists. Whic confirms again that whoever rests in this place was of extreme wealth, but also stood in very high regard with the population.

Removing the last blocks of the sealing wall in front of the Caryatids

Supporting the structure is a big job...

The Caryatids base fully revealed

Meanwhile, the theory that the tomb might be the last resing place of Olympias, the mother of Alexander the Great is picking up steam. the main pointer in this direction is the basket on top of the head of both Caryatids. This is a symbol exclusively reserved for "Κλοδόνες", which are Caryatids belonging to the cult of the God Dionysis. It is known that Olypias was a follower of this cult.

UPDATE

The archeaologists have just announced that they have indeed found an entrance to another room, probably at a lower level. They have also announced that they have found 3 pieces of a marble door, an hinge an a number of bronze and iron nails, all of which give certainty that we are looking at a burial site from the Macedonian period, and not Roman as some people have suggested.

Who lies beneath...?
    Last edited by Ephilant; 03-10-2014 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ephilant View Post
    UPDATE

The archeaologists have just announced that they have indeed found an entrance to another room, probably at a lower level. They have also announced that they have found 3 pieces of a marble door, an hinge an a number of bronze and iron nails, all of which give certainty that we are looking at a burial site from the Macedonian area, and not Roman as some people have suggested.

Who lies beneath...?
    Enthralling.

The work on the tomb in Amphipolis has slowed down considerably with concern for the safety of the archeaologists and the excavators in mind.

Meanwhile, the first drawing of the discovery so far was released this morning.

together with this release comes the news that archeaologists are split over the age of the tomb, based on the toes of the Caryatids. Detailed examination of these toes has resulted in some archeaologists offering the opinion that the tomb may in fact be of Roman origin rather than Greek...

It was also revealed that the thrid chamber, currently being cleared of tonnes of earth, seems to lead to a lower level, offering the possibility of a 4th chamber underneath what has been found so far.
    The lack of any evidence of intrusion has given more and more strenght to the ascertion by Katerina Peristeri, head archeaologist, that the tomb was not raided and should be preserved intact.
    The toes look very authentic and personal. Not particularly Roman imo. It is great to see the sketch and get an idea of how it all fits together.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

To me she has an Afro look she appears a very beautiful woman with some warmth. My imagination maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by bernadette View Post
    To me she has an Afro look she appears a very beautiful woman with some warmth. My imagination maybe.
    No, not your imagination at all. I had the same impression.

Golden Dawn will have a fit
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    No, not your imagination at all. I had the same impression.

Golden Dawn will have a fit
    they already are, one of the many tantrums. They are involved in a "huge" row with their fascist colleagues form across the border (FYROM) about this and many other things. The boys and girls from FYROM had the audacity to claim the the tomb is "pure" Makedonian and nothing to do with Greece. In fact, it's another argument for them to claim that the North of Greece should in fact be given to them to re-establish the "greatness of Makendonia and allow it to take its rightful place as the greatest nation of the world"
    The vice president of the Former Yugoslav Republic of Makedonia’s (FYROM) Parliament, Antonio Milososki, fanned the flames when he published a picture of himself and a few colleagues on top of Mount Olympus, flying the Vergina Sun flag. The mother of all insults...

this symbol was found in the tomb of Philip II (Alexander the Great's father) and was used by Makedonia as it's national flag until 1995. Makedonia stopped using the flag as part of the interim agreement with Greece in 1995. It is explicitly forbidden by this agreement
    Upon entry into force of this Interim Accord, the Party of the Second Part shall cease to use in any way the symbol in all its forms displayed on its national flag prior to such entry into force
    Very important are those symbols...So important that in 1993 the Greek parliament designated the symbol as a "National Greek Symbol" and any "unauthorized" use of it is regarded as a "provocation". Especially when flown on top of our "sacred" mountain...

Can't copy the image across but I do think she has a very aware look about her even as damaged as she is

She is stunning and looks very strong too. Is she Hera or Diana the Huntress I wonder. Perhaps if I pray to her she can cure my frozen shoulder! Nothing else has worked. - she could smite my enemies I suppose, but I'd rather have the shoulder fixed. Thanking you in advance O Celestial Champion of the Cosmos.

She is stunning and looks very strong too. Is she Hera or Diana the Huntress I wonder. Perhaps if I pray to her she can cure my frozen shoulder! Nothing else has worked. - she could smite my enemies I suppose, but I'd rather have the shoulder fixed. Thanking you in advance O Celestial Champion of the Cosmos.
    Κλοδόνες or καρυάτιδες are never goddesses, sorry. No healing to be had there...If the statues are Καρυάτιδες, then they are a direct reference to the Goddess Artemis. Καρυάτιδες literally translates into "Girl from Karyai", the location of the famous temple of Artemis in the Peleponnese, and one of the founding villages of what was to become Sparta. Καρυδαι would, in modern Greek be Καρύδια, meaning walnuts. The area still has its walnut festival, when girls dance around in circles carrying baskets on their head with walnuts in them. One theory claims that Caryatids are representations of priestesses of the Artemis Cult.
    As for Κλοδόνεσ, they are something similar, but linked to the cult of Dionysos, God of wine, food and good parties (ritual madness), fertility, theatre and lots of other fun stuff. One of the things he had to do regularly was hide from frenzied women roaming the countryside, looking for him... He too, especially here on our rock, had a huge following, and one of his most important followers was Olympias, the mother of Alexander the Great. Priestesses in the cult of Dionysos also carried baskets on their heads, filled with grapes.

(For you frozen shoulder, see if you can lay your hands on a thing called Zheng Gui Shui. could be available from your local TCM practitioner/acupuncturist. Works wonders...OR join a Tai Chi group and start silk reeling. More wonders, and not just for a frozen shoulder.)
    Last edited by Ephilant; 05-10-2014 at 09:22 AM.

One of the things he had to do regularly was hide from frenzied women roaming the countryside, looking for him.....
    Yea, that sounds like a terrible problem

Can't copy the image across but I do think she has a very aware look about her even as damaged as she is
    Right click with the mouse, copy image, paste.

— Jean-Paul Sartre

The first pictures of the pieces of marble door have been released, together with a drawing of how they would have been attached to the structure. Pivot points have been found both on top and bottom of the door casing.
    A similar structure was found in the grave of Philip 2, the father of Alexander the Great.

It is taken that the presence of this door is proof that we are indeed looking at a grave, and not a memorial monument. Who lies inside? We still don't know, but will probably find out very soon. The latest candidate is Laomedon, one of Alexanders Generals and close friends. The other Laomedon is mentioned in the story of Troy as the king who betrayed Hercules and paid for this with his life...
    It doesn't sound right, the tomb is far to big to be that of a mere general. Most votes so far go for Olympias, the mother of Alexander the Great, although everybody quietly hopes it will in fact be Alexander himself
    Last edited by Ephilant; 06-10-2014 at 01:23 PM.

a few graphic artists came together and put a 3D walk-through of amphipolis togeter which you can find online.
    Just to make life easy for you, you can put your mouse pointer in the image and move around that way, or use your arrow keys. The code expanation is under the image:

μπροστά = front

στροφή αριστερά = shift left

στροφή δεξιά = shift right

Πίσω = back

C : αλλαγή κάμερας = change camera

F : εμφάνιση πλήρους οθόνης = view full screen

R : επανεκκίνηση = restart

shift: τρέξιμο = running

It also tells you that they will update this 3d experience every time new material becomes available.

Nice.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast