Thread: 'The law of God and the Church, not a child's feelings"

Default 'The law of God and the Church, not a child's feelings"

Shocking story from Philip Boucher Hayes today on Drivetime concerning allegations of abuse in a Midlands school which were reported on by Justine McCarthy at the weekend.
    His blog piece is here:

Almost literally the last thing Emily Logan did before leaving the Office of the Ombudsman was to send copies of a report (which it is not intended will ever be published) to the families of several children who have made allegations of sexual and physical abuse against teachers in their school. The nine children were all between the ages of 5 and 11 at the time of the alleged abuse which they claim was inficted on them at the hands of three female teachers.
    I have seen that report, and people may be familiar with the allegations of the children from Justine McCarthy’s reporting of it in The Sunday Times. Emily Logan’s report finds that the HSE did not properly investigate the claims of the children even though they were numerous and in large part supported each other. It also finds the School’s board of management and the Department of Education were deficient in their actions too.
    http://philipboucher-hayes.com/2014/...ilds-feelings/

Default Re: 'The law of God and the Church, not a child's feelings"

Hawkins House is most likely a hellmouth.

PBH followed this up on Drivetime after six this evening but i only caught part of it. It seems he's been told by a source that a significant number of similar cases in recent years were ignored by the HSE.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    PBH followed this up on Drivetime after six this evening but i only caught part of it. It seems he's been told by a source that a significant number of similar cases in recent years were ignored by the HSE.
    The quote about Stay Safe is interesting. Stay Safe encourages a child to be confident to complain if an adult does something that makes them feel uncomfortable/uneasy.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

In my time, there was no standard procedure of any kind as teachers and others could do what they liked. DOE/HSE gave them a free rein as i wasn't surprised at HSE with schools in question. HSE had ignored that for years re problems- tip of an iceberg. reporters out there better buy a new spade!!!!!

Institutions along with govt depts in relation to child care in Ireland haven't changed that much for decades. Ireland is very slow to changes especially education and childcare (until Logan came in) as it denotes their conservative minds especially the top civil servants.

If they had a child of their own, it would be a lot different and much faster response!!!
    Last edited by disability student; 25-09-2014 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by disability student View Post
    In my time, there was no standard procedure of any kind as teachers and others could do what they liked. DOE/HSE gave them a free rein as i wasn't surprised at HSE with schools in question. HSE had ignored that for years re problems- tip of an iceberg. reporters out there better buy a new spade!!!!!

Institutions along with govt depts in relation to child care in Ireland haven't changed that much for decades. Ireland is very slow to changes especially education and childcare (until Logan came in) as it denotes their conservative minds especially the top civil servants.

If they had a child of their own, it would be a lot different and much faster response!!!
    Fortunately due to Stay Safe and the efforts of a lot of brave people who have spoken out, the climate has changed. Getting action is the difficulty.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Justine McCarthy discussing this case on #vinb. Michael Martin brought it up at Leaders Questions today.