Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free Chelsea Manning!

Default Re: Free Chelsea Manning!

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Yes, for a couple of reasons. 1: The sentence of 35 years was harsh compared to other recent whistleblowers, who've generally received 2-7 years.
    2: The government has never identified any specific harm that resulted, just a general claim that leaking is bad for business.
    3: The release of the State Dept. cables while initially an embarrassment, actually did some good. Unlike with the diplomats of other countries who were found to be saying one thing in public and something else in private, the cables confirmed that almost without exception US diplomats were saying the same thing in private as in public, reinforcing public trust in the State dept.
    4: It was obvious to the military from an early stage that Manning was a troubled individual. He was pressured to join by his father. He was almost kicked out during training.They assigned him the "intelligence" role. They bear some responsibility.
    Thanks, that makes sense to me.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Snowden has not been convicted of anything, so nothing to commute or pardon. Also, wouldn't look good if a Prez stepped in ahead of the courts.
    right good point ... but i thought at some point he was looking for a deal w Obama

sure he should be able to get something our of Putinlover Trump, no? (rhetorical)

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    right good point ... but i thought at some point he was looking for a deal w Obama

sure he should be able to get something our of Putinlover Trump, no? (rhetorical)
    The Manning commutation is probably a good omen for Snowden. He is more likely now to become a bargaining chip between Trump and Putin, who I believe recently granted him another two years in Moscow. If he ends up in a US prison on a long sentence he will stand a better chance of commutation than if Manning had been overlooked.

Looks like Assange also dodged a bullet last weekend. The guy who won the Ecuador election is of the same party as the guy who granted him safe harbor in the embassy.

As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Looks like Assange also dodged a bullet last weekend. The guy who won the Ecuador election is of the same party as the guy who granted him safe harbor in the embassy.
    i couldn't say i care much about Assange... or maybe i'd like to see that puppet behind bars.. hmm .. maybe yea.

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    i couldn't say i care much about Assange... or maybe i'd like to see that puppet behind bars.. hmm .. maybe yea.
    Jail people you don't like?

Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    Jail people you don't like?

Hmm.
    why in the world you insist on trolling me is beyond my understanding

Manning to be released this week.
    Pre release statement.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...e-clemency-win

She'll remain on unpaid active duty, with entitlement to health benefits, presumably to cover the cost of tg surgeries.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

BBC says he's being released.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    BBC says he's being released.
    She has been released.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12