Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Chelsea Manning!

Default Free Chelsea Manning!

I've been meaning to start this thread for some time, and today on the first day of another US assault on Iraq, seems like a good day to do it.

Chelsea has now got what looks like a good campaign group of backers. She has written an article on how ISIS can be best dealt with -

http://www.chelseamanning.org/uncate...guardian-op-ed
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Default Re: Free Chelsea Manning!

Freedom of speech has its limits.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Freedom of speech has its limits.
    Hi Cass,.
    Want to elaborate?
    Has Chelsea been put out of communication?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by eamo View Post
    Hi Cass,.
    Want to elaborate?
    Has Chelsea been put out of communication?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A 35 year jail sentence has a chilling effect on communication.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...leaks-sentence
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Yes indeed, I thought there might have been some new silencing of her going on.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

We should use the other Chelsea Manning thread, its s gold mine
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    We should use the other Chelsea Manning thread, its s gold mine
    It's a good thread - here - but I wanted to start one as part of the campaign to have Chelsea Manning released.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Sadly her condition has deteriorated in the past 6 months, it was reported today that she has attempted suicide twice since July this year

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world...ison-1.2856322

I was reminded of this by something I saw on TV tonight.
    Obama commuted her sentence before he left office. She will be released sometime next month.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Interesting! Is it morally correct that this person should be released in your view?
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    Interesting! Is it morally correct that this person should be released in your view?
    Yes, for a couple of reasons. 1: The sentence of 35 years was harsh compared to other recent whistleblowers, who've generally received 2-7 years.
    2: The government has never identified any specific harm that resulted, just a general claim that leaking is bad for business.
    3: The release of the State Dept. cables while initially an embarrassment, actually did some good. Unlike with the diplomats of other countries who were found to be saying one thing in public and something else in private, the cables confirmed that almost without exception US diplomats were saying the same thing in private as in public, reinforcing public trust in the State dept.
    4: It was obvious to the military from an early stage that Manning was a troubled individual. He was pressured to join by his father. He was almost kicked out during training.They assigned him the "intelligence" role. They bear some responsibility.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Yes, for a couple of reasons. 1: The sentence of 35 years was harsh compared to other recent whistleblowers, who've generally received 2-7 years.
    2: The government has never identified any specific harm that resulted, just a general claim that leaking is bad for business.
    3: The release of the State Dept. cables while initially an embarrassment, actually did some good. Unlike with the diplomats of other countries who were found to be saying one thing in public and something else in private, the cables confirmed that almost without exception US diplomats were saying the same thing in private as in public, reinforcing public trust in the State dept.
    4: It was obvious to the military from an early stage that Manning was a troubled individual. He was pressured to join by his father. He was almost kicked out during training.They assigned him the "intelligence" role. They bear some responsibility.
    thanks for this.. it helped change my mind on C. Manning.

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    thanks for this.. it helped change my mind on C. Manning.
    Obama granted many more commutations, but fewer pardons than his predecessors. His commutations were mostly for non-violent drug offenders who had been sentenced before Congress rolled back the minimum sentencing guidelines. So although he received criticism from conservatives he was in fact acting in line with Congressional intent.

1,700 commutations out of 11,000 requests, and 200 pardons out of 3,400 requests.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...e-commutations

https://qz.com/887420/obamas-preside...-made-the-cut/

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Obama granted many more commutations, but fewer pardons than his predecessors. His commutations were mostly for non-violent drug offenders who had been sentenced before Congress rolled back the minimum sentencing guidelines. So although he received criticism from conservatives he was in fact acting in line with Congressional intent.

1,700 commutations out of 11,000 requests, and 200 pardons out of 3,400 requests.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...e-commutations

https://qz.com/887420/obamas-preside...-made-the-cut/

do you happen to know why he did not pardon Snowden? i have been a bit puzzled by that decision although it is plausible there's just a lot more to the Snowden case

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    do you happen to know why he did not pardon Snowden? i have been a bit puzzled by that decision although it is plausible there's just a lot more to the Snowden case
    Snowden has not been convicted of anything, so nothing to commute or pardon. Also, wouldn't look good if a Prez stepped in ahead of the courts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast