Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pregnant woman refused abortion gives birth by Caesarean

Default Re: Pregnant woman refused abortion gives birth by Caesarean

From the very moment this hit the front pages a couple of days ago, there was an immediate and powerful stink off of it.

Twenty-two years later, and it seems we're still struggling with this level of operation.

Our rulers are fond of privatising and flogging off bits of the state apparatus they don't like or find too expensive or 'hard' to run. Any danger our maternity hospitals could be run by say the Dutch or French government. Just outsource the provision of women's health services altogether to people who are not religious nutbags/clinically insane.

Was the rape victim strapped to a table, her stomach ripped open and the rapist's progeny removed?
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

The state is a long way behind public opinion on what's permissible. If this gets legs, it could cause ructions in the Govt.

This contradicts the dates in the ST's piece: We are still short on facts.

On the 3rd of August, this young, suicidal rape victim, having gone through two court hearings seeking an abortion and an unknown number of medical interrogations by a panel of three doctors, underwent a caesarean section

http://feministire.com/2014/08/17/to-them-we-are-nothing-but-vessels/

Quote Originally Posted by Spectabilis View Post
    This contradicts the dates in the ST's piece: We are still short on facts.

On the 3rd of August, this young, suicidal rape victim, having gone through two court hearings seeking an abortion and an unknown number of medical interrogations by a panel of three doctors, underwent a caesarean section

http://feministire.com/2014/08/17/to-them-we-are-nothing-but-vessels/
    I agree that there is confusing, contradictory and conflicting information - also, whilst of legitimate public interest for legal reasons, it is about someone's very private life.

It is still very clear that the experience must have been a nightmare for the woman, and still is one.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

So far as far as I can see only the ST has reported that the woman is a foreign national, has limited English, was the victim of rape and is unable to travel freely because of her status in Ireland.
    It looks like Mark Tighe has access to sources close to the individual involved while the rest of the media is being briefed by the HSE and official sources.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    So far as far as I can see only the ST has reported that the woman is a foreign national, has limited English, was the victim of rape and is unable to travel freely because of her status in Ireland.
    It looks like Mark Tighe has access to sources close to the individual involved while the rest of the media is being briefed by the HSE and official sources.
    indeed,

also, if the HSE was in the high court at the start of August. She was on hunger strike by that stage and the AG was present so it should have landed on a minister's desk then if not before. Seventeen weeks between the woman coming forward and delivery so this has been going on since ******* April. Fitzgerald was probably breifed before she went to the UN, sickening.

This is an awful awful case

Absolutely, two fine pieces - most informative.

It's a shocking situation - I knew it as soon as I laid eyes on the original article, though the actual details were scant.

more details here - timeline starting to look a little different

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/socia...eeks-1.1899851

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    RTE Radio also reporting it with a spin that has her "only presenting at hospital seeking an abortion" at a late stage with a confused mention of an earlier request.

What I don't have is a picture of what happened and when, in terms of her first meeting a doctor.

The question of race again comes to my mind in this in terms of the appalling statistics fro non-Irish women with regard to deaths associated with birth and pregnancy.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. FIVE View Post
    more details here - timeline starting to look a little different

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/socia...eeks-1.1899851
    Very different.

It says she approached "authorities" but does not say who. She was only just in the country with very little English. Her pregnancy was already at 22 weeks when she got to a doctor.

She arrived in the State this year. Her friend, who works in a university here, said the woman had been raped in her own country and found out she was pregnant when she underwent a medical assessment “a week or two after she arrived” in the State. “She told them immediately, ‘I do not want this. I am too young to be a mother. I am not ready,’” he said. She also feared for her safety as a result of the pregnancy.

Increasingly distressed

He said she was not given information as to how to obtain an abortion and as the pregnancy continued she became increasingly distressed. He was advised she should go to a GP, which she did in mid-July. The GP gave her a letter for a hospital, he said, and she was admitted. She was told in hospital on July 22nd an abortion was not possible as the pregnancy was too far advanced.

At 22 weeks the baby was close to being abe to survive. It appears to be mainly about why she did not see a doctor earlier - and how in Ireland one needs to be "in the loop" to get services.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 18-08-2014 at 09:01 AM.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Mark Tighe on Drivetime now. It seems that the woman involved first went to a "a state agency, not the HSE". Because of reporting restrictions he is unable to name the state agency involved.

I assume it was the immigration services. For one thing it would have been them who made right to travel issues clear from the beginning.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast