Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish women rock the rugby world!

Default Irish women rock the rugby world!

After beating the USA in their first match, the Irish Women Rugby team scored an unbelievable win today over the reigning champions the mighty New Zealand "Black Ferns".

Irish Times report:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugb...land-1.1888376

Independent report:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugb...-30485699.html

Next match on Friday against Kazakhstan for a place in the semi-finals. As usual TG4 is streets ahead on a tiny budget and are showing the matches live.

Irish WOMENS rugby team including a black Irish woman doing us proud, commentary in Irish on the Irish language TV station. De Valera was a big Rugby fan, he reckoned it best suited the Irish temperament, but I dont think he would have seen this coming. And you know........I think he might just have approved.

Default Re: Irish women rock the rugby world!

Wow!
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by eamo View Post

Next match on Friday against Kazakhstan for a place in the semi-finals. As usual TG4 is streets ahead on a tiny budget and are showing the matches live.
    Well done Irish women. Well done TG4.

I hope they don't run up the score against Kazakhstan like the Kiwis did. It was a bit unseemly.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Black Ferns Haka. Not a mirror of the mens Haka. I suspect not as old, a new tradition is born. Who would have thought the Haka could be feminised. Still strong, still getting ready for battle, but more graceful. And original. I am really glad they did not just mimic one of the mens Haka (every island has a different Haka).

Dublin North-West - the leading constituency!

Stunning result. Well done, ladies!

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Buddha View Post
    Stunning result. Well done, ladies!
    +1 ☺️
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves "

It was the Black Ferns first defeat in a world cup match since losing to the USA in 1991.

Highlights including Ireland's second try at 1:45:

[video=youtube_share;PRUEGsHh

Wowsers. Well done Irish Womens rugby and well done TG4.

Will be playing England in the semi finals on Wednesday at 5pm. #COYGIG

New Zealand are gone. Canada got the 4th semi final place. (v. France)
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Great to see the vacuous Niamh Horan keeping up to her usual journalistic standards:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-30495836.html

'..as I lay flat on my back after being wrestled to the ground for the umpteenth time, I wondered how much they really dislike me back in the newsroom..'

Not half as much as I do, Niamh.

Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Mowl View Post
    Great to see the vacuous Niamh Horan keeping up to her usual journalistic standards:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-30495836.html

'..as I lay flat on my back after being wrestled to the ground for the umpteenth time, I wondered how much they really dislike me back in the newsroom..'

Not half as much as I do, Niamh.

Not even close.
    Niamh Horan and the Independent really went bizarrely 1930'ish with this article.

I don't think Railway Union are happy with it. In the comments under the piece is this:

Railway Union RFC were requested by the IRFU to facilitate a journalist from the Sunday Independent who wanted to do a training session and a feature on women's rugby in light of Ireland's world cup heroics. We are disappointed that what could have been a hugely positive article promoting women's rugby in Ireland at time of such achievement internationally has been reduced to stereotyping. The article in no way reflects our sport, its values and the values of our club and our members. Our club's primary goal is always the promotion of rugby, regardless of gender, and we support all teams in the club equally.
    And on the Railway Union web site womens rugby is rightly given equal treatment. They also do their bit to break down the elitist image of rugby. Their catchment area is stated as Sandymount, Irishtown and Ringsend:

http://www.railwayunionrfc.com/

Good critique here from another Indo. writer Katy Harrington of the Sunday Independent.

http://www.thescore.ie/rugby-womens-...13568-Aug2014/

Quote Originally Posted by eamo View Post
    Good critique here from another Indo. writer Katy Harrington of the Sunday Independent.

http://www.thescore.ie/rugby-womens-...13568-Aug2014/

A suitable and reducing retort I think - though I'd have issues agreeing with this:

... Surely there are more bad guys out there who we’d love to see sent up, exposed or derided by an experienced journalist like Horan...

I'm not sure the terms 'experienced' or 'journalist' are quite those which I might have chosen myself.

In fact, I'm sure neither of my chosen terms would contain more than four letters each.

On newstalk now, president of Railway Union is raging and she's right it seems...

Im making a plea for people not to click the link to the article itself. If it drives web traffic it will be deemed a success. It really is degrading stuff, I had the chance to play u12 and u14 gaelic with Grace Davitt and shes as capable as any man when it comes to sport. Id bet everyone on that Irish team would hold their own in any skill set comparison against men. That article has set all the good work back years

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast