Thread: U.S. Appeals Court Rules Microsoft Must Turn Over Email Hosted in Ireland

Default U.S. Appeals Court Rules Microsoft Must Turn Over Email Hosted in Ireland

An appeals court ruled on Friday that Microsoft must turn over email sought in a U.S. warrant, even though the customer's email is being hosted on servers in Ireland, not the U.S. Microsoft argued the US warrant has no jurisdiction in Ireland, but the court disagreed.

Full story: US Judge Insists Microsoft Break EU Law To Obey US Law Over Email In Ireland
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Default Re: U.S. Appeals Court Rules Microsoft Must Turn Over Email Hosted in Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    An appeals court ruled on Friday that Microsoft must turn over email sought in a U.S. warrant, even though the customer's email is being hosted on servers in Ireland, not the U.S. Microsoft argued the US warrant has no jurisdiction in Ireland, but the court disagreed.

Full story: US Judge Insists Microsoft Break EU Law To Obey US Law Over Email In Ireland
    What was that you said about US hegemony ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Default Re: U.S. Appeals Court Rules Microsoft Must Turn Over Email Hosted in Ireland

Very interesting.
    The only safe mail service
    In case this all goes pear-shaped, I'll bid you adieu

Quote Originally Posted by musashi View Post
    Maybe not...

Safe-mail’s President and CEO Amiram Ofir happens to be an Israeli. Ofir also registered Galiad Computers Ltd. with a P.O. box in Jerusalem, an IT company that doesn't even have a website, so it is possibly a store front for something a little more sinsiter.
    Last edited by TotalMayhem; 01-08-2014 at 11:13 PM.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Maybe not...

Safe-mail’s President and CEO Amiram Ofir happens to be an Israeli. Ofir also registered Galiad Computers Ltd. with a P.O. box in Jerusalem, an IT company that doesn't even has a website, so it is possibly a store front for something a little more sinsiter.
    Good to know, I need to go talk to some people...

Quote Originally Posted by musashi View Post
    Good to know, I need to go talk to some people...
    Happily I encrypt all my mails, but still...

When asked if Safe-mail has received court orders issued by an Israeli court on behalf of a non-Israeli law enforcement agency, such as the FBI, Ofir replied with a short “Yes.” My followup email, asking if Safe-mail has the ability to decrypt information without a user’s key, went unanswered.

There is no such thing as secure internet.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

No, there isn't but if only 10% of the population would be using secure communication, say a combination of strong encryption and steganography, the whole surveillance system would come crashing down. There simple isn't enough landmass on this planet to house the computer farms required to deal with the "problem".

No, there isn't but if only 10% of the population would be using secure communication, say a combination of strong encryption and steganography, the whole surveillance system would come crashing down. There simple isn't enough landmass on this planet to house the computer farms required to deal with the "problem".
    Do start a thread in the tech forum
    — Jean-Paul Sartre