Page 1 of 177 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: ISIS, Al Qaeda, Boko Haram, Al Shabab etc. etc. - Where did they come from, where are they going ?

Default Who runs Al Qaeda and What is It?

There has been plenty of discussion over the last 10 years on whether Al Qaeda exists as an Islamic terror network or whether it is a creation of US intelligence.

Famously, Robin Cook, former British Foreign Secretary, said that al Qaeda meant "the data base" of US islamic assets.

This report was mentioned here yesterday. A US citizen - "Islamic convert" has popped up as an al Qaeda frontman. There is still controversy about who exactly was arrested by the Pakistanis, with US spokespeople clearly very unhappy about the idea that the Californian jihadist might have been arrested.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-a...,2316889.story

Pakistanis arrest man, but whom ?

U.S. is skeptical that a Californian turned top propagandist for Al Qaeda has been captured in Karachi.

Gahdan in person and as an "Al Qaeda" video performer.

Reporting from Islamabad, Pakistan - U.S. officials cast doubt early Monday on Pakistani intelligence statements that Karachi officials had arrested a Southern California native, a top propagandist for Al Qaeda who is wanted by the U.S. on treason charges.

U.S. intelligence agencies spent Sunday sorting out conflicting reports on the purported arrest of Adam Gadahn of Riverside. By late Sunday night, U.S. officials said the picture remained unclear.

"In terms of who may have been arrested, the Pakistani rumor mill belched out three very different possibilities in about six hours," one U.S. official said. "That should tell you something right there. It's by no means clear who, if anyone, the Pakistanis may have captured."

Another U.S. official, who asked not to be identified, said early Monday, "There's no reason to believe that it's true, and we are highly skeptical."

The names that surfaced Sunday included Gadahn, Abu Yahya Al-Libi and Abu Yahya Mujahdeen Al-Adam, said to be an Al Qaeda affiliate born in Pennsylvania.
    Only last week, a top Jundullah "jihadist" operating against Iran confessed to working for the US.

In Afghanistan there is deep scepticism about these people, many of who have anything but islamic habits when it comes to alcohol, but who threaten local people in the name of Islam.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 21-09-2014 at 08:12 AM.

Kev Bar Guest

Default Re: Who runs Al Qaeda and What is It?

I think you could be confusing what he said `z the name Al Qaeda actually means - loosey translated - "the base."

Kev Bar Guest

Well quite a few journalists interviewed Bin Laden when he was running his camps in Afghanistan.
    I think questioning their existence is a bit too Jim Corrish for me.
    Jason Burke has a good book on them.
    Amhed Rashid, the respected Pakistani journalist who has been following this story for years is well worth a read.
    Fisk writes of his encounter in his latest tome.

These guys are not dopes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Bar View Post
    I think you could be confusing what he said `z the name Al Qaeda actually means - loosey translated - "the base."
    Well, no, not at all confused, or "Jim Corrish".

This is what Cook wrote, just after the London bombings in 2005:

Osama bin Laden is no more a true representative of Islam than General Mladic, who commanded the Serbian forces, could be held up as an example of Christianity. After all, it is written in the Qur'an that we were made into different peoples not that we might despise each other, but that we might understand each other. Bin Laden was, though, a product of a monumental miscalculation by western security agencies. Throughout the 80s he was armed by the CIA and funded by the Saudis to wage jihad against the Russian occupation of Afghanistan. Al-Qaida, literally "the database", was originally the computer file of the thousands of mujahideen who were recruited and trained with help from the CIA to defeat the Russians. Inexplicably, and with disastrous consequences, it never appears to have occurred to Washington that once Russia was out of the way, Bin Laden's organisation would turn its attention to the west.

I would have thought an even more un-Islamic habit than drinking would be the serial murder of themselves and other Muslims, not to mention people of other faiths etc. I am no Muslim but I would judge it on the actions of some nut in an extreme military cult. You might as well judge the reformation on the basis of the actions of billy wright.

It is no secret that the CIA et al built up anti soviet forces in the 1980s. I suspect it has simply run out of their control now. Although I must admit to having reservations about the official 9/11 story also. I still cant get what the desired end game is in Afghanistan for NATO though. I thought they would grab a few "terrorists" from a cave a few years ago, bomb the airport on the way home and declare victory. If they cant leave the area how are they are threat to the West?
    Mr Lenihan said the guarantee was “the cheapest bailout” compared with bank rescues in other countries, including the UK and the US, where “billions and billions of taxpayers’ money are being poured into financial institutions” - October 24 2008

I've read Jason Burkes book and he is quite clear that Al Qaeda don't exist as an organisation. It may be a bit dated now but is a great read to help gain an insight into the misconceptions many people hold about 'them'.

People Korps Guest

It is a message and a lot of disparate groups , individuals etc whose activities get claimed by the whole,

it is a little like a "Lucky Bag" revolution, it could be anyone anywhere anytime.

In many ways it is similar to the Hashishin of Hassan Ibin Sabbah the 11 c founder of the Ismaelis .

A bit like Ribbonism in the 1820s and 1830s, though there were claims of a leader there did not seem to be one yet Ribbonism appeared in the same form across many counties,

Must get Donnelly's new book , (he reminds himself)

It is a malignant will'o'wisp

Quote Originally Posted by Xray View Post
    I would have thought an even more un-Islamic habit than drinking would be the serial murder of themselves and other Muslims, not to mention people of other faiths etc. I am no Muslim but I would judge it on the actions of some nut in an extreme military cult. You might as well judge the reformation on the basis of the actions of billy wright.

It is no secret that the CIA et al built up anti soviet forces in the 1980s. I suspect it has simply run out of their control now. Although I must admit to having reservations about the official 9/11 story also. I still cant get what the desired end game is in Afghanistan for NATO though. I thought they would grab a few "terrorists" from a cave a few years ago, bomb the airport on the way home and declare victory. If they cant leave the area how are they are threat to the West?
    You are absolutely right that most muslims are absolutely horrified by the carry on of supposed jihadists.

Quote Originally Posted by C Flower View Post
    Well, no, not at all confused, or "Jim Corrish".

This is what Cook wrote, just after the London bombings in 2005:
    And just four weeks before his untimely death.

Quote Originally Posted by C Flower View Post
    You are absolutely right that most muslims are absolutely horrified by the carry on of supposed jihadists.
    But does Al-Q have sneaking regarders, that's the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Xray View Post

You're wrong about the murder of other Muslims. The founder of the Muslim Brotherhood was quite specific about it being almost a duty to kill "soft ' Muslims. A kind of " iron in the soul " philosophy.

People Korps Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsedmethodist View Post
    Presumably they do, as will all such organizations who may or may not exist is fact, in deeds they exist so they will have a following and an apologia / propaganda possibly grassroots led in the main with the odd central announcement

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k32kgPCCvcY&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k32kgPCCvcY&feature=related[/ame]

Back in 2004, Pierre-Henry Bunel, a former agent for French military intelligence, explained that Al Qaida is nothing more than a database. How many of the public know this? 99% believe that Al Qaida is a unified terrorist movement under the leadership of Bin Laden dedicated to the destruction of the West. There is a reason for this naturally which Bunel also highlighted:

"The truth is, there is no Islamic army or terrorist group called Al Qaida. And any informed intelligence officer knows this. But there is a propaganda campaign to make the public believe in the presence of an identified entity representing the 'devil' only in order to drive the 'TV watcher' to accept a unified international leadership for a war against terrorism. The country behind this propaganda is the US and the lobbyists for the US war on terrorism are only interested in making money."
    Source

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsedmethodist View Post
    They would............if they existed. They don't.

Page 1 of 177 1231151101 ... LastLast