Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A not so glorious 12th.

Default Re: A not so glorious 12th.

Well, you have heard myself and others bang on about Loyalist bonfires, their risk to health and good order etc.

I suppose i'd only make a hypocrite out of myself if i was to condemn the recent actions of the PSNI in removing a Republican bonfire set to be lit tomorrow evening to commemorate the introduction of internment in 1970's.

In my view, the same laws should apply to everyone and so i expect to see the same robust action next 12th July.

On another note, i predict a riot in West Belfast this weekend, commonly associated with internment commemorations when in more recent years sectarian clashes occurred.

I suspect the removal of the bonfire by the PSNI will add fuel to that situation which would be a shame as it will in turn give Unionists the ammunition they need to compare a relatively peaceful 12th to Republican violence.

The trap is set, the bait laid. http://www.u.tv/News/Bonfire-removed...f-8d5c778a842c
    Last edited by Trow; 07-08-2014 at 11:27 AM.
    Happiness is an inside job.

Perhaps if the PSNI were so robust in arresting those who stack tyres on bonfires or indeed those who supply them via tyre depots @ 12th July we'd be getting somewhere. Came across this article recently...
    Quote. Government must act to stop farmers being prosecuted for using old tyres on farms, Sinn Fein MLA Oliver McMullan has said.

The East Antrim Assembly member claimed that in recent months several farmers have been arrested and questioned about tyres used to help cover silage and other feed. He added: “While I understand the need to dispose of used tyres in an environmentally friendly way, the contrasting treatment between those who use tyres as part of their business and those who burn them needs to be addressed. unquote.
    http://www.larnetimes.co.uk/news/loc...-mla-1-6460763

Default A not so glorious 12th.

Oh, Trow, everyone down south uses tyres to weight down the plastic on their silage heaps etc. I had not heard of any Garda interest in this entirely harmless practice either. They use old tyres in the kids playground assault course thing for under tens in Cabinteely park as well. Hadn't noticed any queues of parents complaining.

I sometimes wonder how anyone up North manages to remain sane!

Thank you for the updates 😉

Oh, and it might be a constructive proposal to suggest that NI comes up with a new flag for themselves they can all agree on. The tricolour is indelibly associated with Republicans and the Union flag with the UDA etc.

Perhaps Stormont could come up with a Third Flag and March United under it to protest about Westminster underfunding.

I live in hope (but amn't holding my breath).
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves "

Quote Originally Posted by morticia View Post
    Oh, and it might be a constructive proposal to suggest that NI comes up with a new flag for themselves they can all agree on. The tricolour is indelibly associated with Republicans and the Union flag with the UDA etc.

Perhaps Stormont could come up with a Third Flag and March United under it to protest about Westminster underfunding.

I live in hope (but amn't holding my breath).
    Thought about that one before too......After some time i proposed a flag with an emblem, that being a condom. This is because i think a condom reflects the political stance at Stormont most accurately because a condom allows for inflation, halts production and destroys the next generation. It also protects a bunch of pricks and provides a sense of security while you're actually being taken for a ride.

I take my hat off, that's brilliant!
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves "

A first of a kind it's thought for a Loyalist to be prosecuted for a hate crime involving slogans and effigy at a bonfire..

Quote.. In a landmark move, 19-year-old Colin White was in Antrim Magistrates’ Court charged over the placing of offensive material on an Eleventh Night bonfire in the town last year.

Tricolours with sectarian slogans written on them and an effigy of Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams was placed on the huge bonfire in the mainly loyalist Ballycraigy estate ahead of the Twelfth of July.

It also caused outrage over a racist slur scrawled across bedsteads positioned at the base of the bonfire. unquote. http://www.u.tv/News/2015/09/15/Man-...te-crime-44979

Timely is'nt it? Only took over a year to charge the guy.

Awful smell of burning rubber tyres in the air tonight as the sky blackens with toxic smoke. More of that to come later during the witching hour as once more drunken curses are cast and effigy is burnt.

How much of the Teresa May bribe cash are the DUP sharing with nationalist areas/communities?
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12