Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Podemos

Default Re: Podemos

They are soft left- ish ? Direct Democracy ? I don't think they are fundamentally different from other parts of the movement pro democracy groups that suggest it is possible to reform the ECB and fix the EU.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/can-eu...odemos-and-15m
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    I don't think they are fundamentally different from other parts of the movement pro democracy groups that suggest it is possible to reform the ECB and fix the EU.
    The kind of democracy people are talking would leave ECB & EU so unrecognisable that that would cease to be, to be fair. Read some of hiredknave's stuff for better background. They are worth backing for now anyway imo.

Podemos has responded that a pact between the PP and the PSOE would be far more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. FIVE View Post
    An have taken a firmly anti-NATO stance on Ukraine.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Overcoming Representation

good read http://hiredknaves.wordpress.com/201...-and-overflow/

Poll for El Pais tomorrow on intentions to vote if there was an election now gives Podemos 27%. That's 1.7% ahead of the PSOE and 7% ahead of the PP government party .

http://politica.elpais.com/politica/...10_731502.html

I love the way El Pais disses its own poll. Something very Sindo about that.

El sondeo es una instantánea del estado de ánimo ciudadano más que una predicción del voto. La mayoría de los encuestados, de hecho, considera que Podemos no tiene ideas claras sobre cómo superar la crisis económica, y que sus propuestas no son realistas y ni siquiera consideran que sea el único partido en el que se pueda confiar.
    "The poll is a snapshot of the mood of citizens rather that a vote prediction. In fact the majority of those polled consider that Podemos does not have clear ideas on how to overcome the economic crisis and that their proposals aren't realistic. Neither do they believe that Podemos are the only parry they should trust"
    http://politica.elpais.com/politica/...10_731502.html

Overcoming Representation

good read http://hiredknaves.wordpress.com/201...-and-overflow/
    First, this method has shown that the argument that tends to disdain the abilities and possibilities of young people and citizens to go out and practise politics (“they have no training”, “they don’t have the means”, “they don’t know what they’re doing”, “they’re not fit for this”) is not only antidemocratic, but is, moreover, radically false. The 15M showed it and the Podemos campaign has shown it: the association of singularities, the democracy of abilities, is perfectly capable of generating both ilusión and effectiveness and of overcoming barriers that were supposedly impassable. It has been necessary to go everywhere, to combine social networks and motorway miles, word of mouth and local and sectoral work, in order to make the mix contagious. And it has been.
    Interesting. In part, hierarchical structures came out of necessity because most people were illiterate and needed to grow food.

(Another part of it is the advantage of having a "captain of the ship" who can make quick decisions when rocks loom etc.)

I would like to read more detail on how Podemos developed its organisation and programme.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

All on hiredknaves, he is doing a great services to the English speaking world. I would say developing programme though rather than any finished product

http://left-flank.org/2014/11/05/exp....NBUbrwXJ.dpbs

On Podemos and anti-politics.

"I'm not involved in any political party" is heard from people at Right2Water events.

Is the elusive 3rd way any more leftward oriented now than it was in the past?

Is this similar to "Citizen Broom" in Burkina Faso that swept away one regime and made room for military dictatorship ?

I'm planning to read a good bit on Podemos and see where it is going and how it is organising.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

All on hiredknaves, he is doing a great services to the English speaking world. I would say developing programme though rather than any finished product
    One of the best Irish political blogs around and particularly good on Spain. I don't know of anyone else doing that kind of translation and commentary.

First, it is oversimplifying to imagine that Podemos is now trying to market itself as a social democratic party, which is what many are reading into recent remarks by Pablo Iglesias. There is a difference between setting out a series of measures at the present conjuncture that social democratic parties of 35 years ago would have had as part of their platform and turning into the PSOE. To be able to implement such measures nowadays would require a far greater degree of social mobilisation than any ‘really existing’ social democratic party could muster, even if such parties were inclined to do so, and they are not.

Second, if the goal is to actually win the elections and enter government, does anyone really believe that an explicitly revolutionary platform -including, say, complete repudiation of all debts- is likely to win the votes of a majority in Spanish society? If you do, I have a very attractive bridge you may be interested in purchasing.

Thirdly, I don’t think there is anything in the slightest wrong with ‘pragmatism’ and ‘realism’ when these are anchored to an understanding of the correlation of forces in society actually is, and what people are likely to support and mobilise for, provided your intent is for the sum of forces of discontent in society to mobilise for these things.

Now, whether that is the intent remains to be seen, and I am somewhat sceptical of the Podemos leadership’s capacity to realise such an intent if left to its own devices, but none of this is ‘social democratic’ if we are using the PSOE or the SPD as the yardstick.

https://medium.com/@hiredknave/podem...d-ec477f1b27dc

Pablo Iglesias has appeared on a political discussion programme on the state broadcaster for the first time in 13 months, according to publco.es today. The invitation was only extended due to pressure from workers at the station who welcomed him on arrival. 'It's shameful that the public tv that we all pay for has been converted into a propaganda instrument for the PP" Iglesias commented.

http://www.publico.es/560275/trabaja...a-sido-traeros

Podemos overtakes the PSOE for the first time in the latest polls..

http://politica.elpais.com/politica/...56_503954.html

What do you make,PJ, of podemos' praise of Emilio Botín the other day??

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast