Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 800 babies buried in unmarked "water tank site" at Tuam, by Bon Secours Nuns 1925-61

Default Re: 800 babies buried in unmarked "water tank site" at Tuam, by Bon Secours Nuns 1925-61

Local residents complained about the smell from the tank in 1937.

“ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Default Re: 800 babies buried in unmarked "water tank site" at Tuam, by Bon Secours Nuns 1925-61

Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    Great work by @Limerick1914.

Reasons why they died jump out - mothers were not with them - lack of proper staff - not enough funding. If they were bottle fed they may well have been constantly have been getting stomach infections as peoples' understanding about bacteria may have been low. They would then have had no resistance to other illness.

Galway County Council has a legacy of shame - and still refuse to fund an access to a memorial at the site.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Well, well. 11 days after the original MOS article and the case finally reaches the mainstream. RTE reports, FF and SF calling for investigations and a rushed statement from Charlie Flanagan this afternoon.
    Why did it take so long?

Some officials and garda sources in Tuam are disputing that children are buried there at all, according to DriveTime.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    Some officials and garda sources in Tuam are disputing that children are buried there at all, according to DriveTime.
    Did PBH just refute that though?
    I'm finding it hard to hear because of where I am.
    "This isn't working,
    My middle-brow f**ker"

Quote Originally Posted by Griska View Post
    Did PBH just refute that though?
    I'm finding it hard to hear because of where I am.
    He read a garda statement which he got this afternoon which in summary said that this site has historical burials gong back to Famine Times and that there is no confirmation from any source that up to 800 bodies are buried there.
    PBH went on to say that the Garda are confusing this site with another one in Tuam which was indeed a famine burial site and was partially evacuated in recent times.

He read a garda statement which he got this afternoon which in summary said that this site has historical burials gong back to Famine Times and that there is no confirmation from any source that up to 800 bodies are buried there.
    PBH went on to say that the Garda are confusing this site with another one in Tuam which was indeed a famine burial site and was partially evacuated in recent times.
    If two small boys could open this tank up, I think the Gardaí should be capable of going to take a look and see if there were burials there. That much at least needs to be established.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Colm Keaveney gets chucked out of the Dail after complaining that the CC is protecting the government by not allowing questions on the Tuam babies at Topical Issues.

b
    Keavney said at lunchtime that growing up in Tuam, he had been told the site was an unmarked famine grave, but thinks this was incorrect. There seems to be much confusion. Surely it can't be that tricky to open up, as Cactus says.
    "This isn't working,
    My middle-brow f**ker"

I listened to Boucher Hayes summary, and the evidence is the boy's account and otherwise circumstantial.

It would be so straightforward to go and check. Boucher Hayes said there were sufficient grounds for a Garda investigation i.e. for them to go and look.

Otherwise, the landowner, whoever that is, could have someone look.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    I listened to Boucher Hayes summary, and the evidence is the boy's account and otherwise circumstantial.

It would be so straightforward to go and check. Boucher Hayes said there were sufficient grounds for a Garda investigation i.e. for them to go and look.

Otherwise, the landowner, whoever that is, could have someone look.
    It seems that there's going to be a ' cross-department initiative' which will result in a report to government. God knows how long that will take.
    There’s the matter of other institutions as well.
    Meanwhile, Adoption Rights Alliance Director Susan Lohan said the State knew about mass graves for babies for a long time.
    Ms Lohan called on the Government and the Department of Justice to speak out about the issue.
    She said that Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald knows "all too well about the issue" because the Adoption Rights Alliance and other groups have been sending her material since she took office as Minister for Children in 2011.
    The alliance is calling on the Government to carry out an inquiry into around 25,000 Sacred Heart adoption files that were "dumped" with the Health Service Executive in 2011.
    Ms Fitzgerald received a report on the issue on 24 July last year, Ms Lohan said.
    Mass graves located at former mother and children homes in Bessborough, Castlepollard and Roscrea have also been highlighted.
    These homes were run under the partial English order, The Sacred Heart of Jesus.
    Figures have indicated highly erratic mortality rates, namely in 1943.
    The Bessborough order had a 57% mortality rate in that period, while a national average of 15% has been estimated.
    Findings on birth certificates have also suggested that malnutrition was a major cause of the deaths.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0604/621550-tuam-grave/

The children who survived this regime, many of them were children of so-called Magdalene women. I met some of them at the Daíl, lobbying for redress for the laundry workers/women who were locked up.

They also need redress as some compensation for what was done to them and the difficulties some have had in their lives as a result.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast