Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
Results 256 to 266 of 266

Thread: 800 babies buried in unmarked "water tank site" at Tuam, by Bon Secours Nuns 1925-61

  1. #256
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,792

    Default Re: 800 babies buried in unmarked "water tank site" at Tuam, by Bon Secours Nuns 1925-61

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Now you're talking.

    For once Kenny hit the nail on the head when he said that some people/children were treated as a sub-species in Ireland. This remains the case. There is not the extent of class division along purely economic lines here as there is in the U.K., but there is a section of the population viewed as outsiders/excluded and not meriting normal respect or quality of life. Travellers, whistleblowers, the established urban poor, homeless people - you fall out of the net in this country and you are toast.
    Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments, I cannot see a FG government taking on the consultants who are shareholders and workers in the Bon Secours group.

  2. #257
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Meath
    Posts
    8,387

    Default Re: 800 babies buried in unmarked "water tank site" at Tuam, by Bon Secours Nuns 1925-61

    Quote Originally Posted by barrym View Post
    Kenny out as horrified. He can open his mouth on this one, not on his watch, sort of. No question of the catholic father criticising anyone.

    Luckily, Tuam has so far lasted four days, since Friday. What bets on this day week?

    Zappone is the min with responsibilities. However, she has no clout.

    I just hope the people affected keep up the pressure, and get media support.
    It seems to me Zappone has absolutely no power and FG do not take her seriously.

    She was bought cheaply. A Cabinet portfolio looks great on your CV in your adopted country as a foreigner. Who at that age in life as a foreigner in another country wouldn't take on a Cabinet Job?

    I am sure she is more genuine on this than the FG politicians, but she is powerless.

  3. #258
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,792

    Default Re: 800 babies buried in unmarked "water tank site" at Tuam, by Bon Secours Nuns 1925-61

    Amazingly, the Tuam story has legs. It is now Friday and two ministers are out moaning about the church. No money from the Christian Brothers, etc.

    Of course, as I said already, not our problem, FF minister signed the deal. Easy to be horrified.

    More to come over the weekend? keeps the homeless out of the headlines

  4. #259
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Meath
    Posts
    8,387

    Default Re: 800 babies buried in unmarked "water tank site" at Tuam, by Bon Secours Nuns 1925-61

    Quote Originally Posted by barrym View Post
    Amazingly, the Tuam story has legs. It is now Friday and two ministers are out moaning about the church. No money from the Christian Brothers, etc.

    Of course, as I said already, not our problem, FF minister signed the deal. Easy to be horrified.

    More to come over the weekend? keeps the homeless out of the headlines
    If there's one thing you can be sure of it is that it has been chosen by the powers-that-be as a grubby way of keeping the three scandals hovering over Jabba The Hut Noonan's political corpse out of the Sunday papers. How that subhuman slug is still in office is beyond me. His conduct on a number of occasions has not just been vile, it has been shown to be without any humanity.

    A sort of, well what isn't really so bad to read about this week. It does FG no damage.

  5. #260
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,357

    Default Re: 800 babies buried in unmarked "water tank site" at Tuam, by Bon Secours Nuns 1925-61

    Catherine Corless and her husband are being interviewed on "Miriam Meets" this morning: should be interesting.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  6. #261
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,792

    Default Re: 800 babies buried in unmarked "water tank site" at Tuam, by Bon Secours Nuns 1925-61

    Yes, with the Late Late and Finucane high profile w/e.

    However, where now? Inda upstages with ridiculous Pressie voting nonsense, while saying "the church" or the Vatican should pay up.

    What about a commemoration? A memorial day for victims, as high profile as '16 ??

    Must not be forgotten, bit like the Holocaust?

  7. #262
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,357

    Default Re: 800 babies buried in unmarked "water tank site" at Tuam, by Bon Secours Nuns 1925-61

    Quote Originally Posted by barrym View Post
    Yes, with the Late Late and Finucane high profile w/e.

    However, where now? Inda upstages with ridiculous Pressie voting nonsense, while saying "the church" or the Vatican should pay up.

    What about a commemoration? A memorial day for victims, as high profile as '16 ??

    Must not be forgotten, bit like the Holocaust?
    I think you have a point.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  8. #263
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,792

    Default Re: 800 babies buried in unmarked "water tank site" at Tuam, by Bon Secours Nuns 1925-61

    Note that, despite the fact it lasted more than the 9 days, it is gone.

    Zappone shut down, Inda brown nosing Trump, McGuinness dies, terror in London , etc.

    Is there a next chapter? Is there any report due? Otherwise.....?

  9. #264
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,792

    Default Re: 800 babies buried in unmarked "water tank site" at Tuam, by Bon Secours Nuns 1925-61

    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irela...view-1.3022612

    Interesting, but the possibility of more money is "in discussion" don't hold your breath?

  10. #265
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,357

    Default Re: 800 babies buried in unmarked "water tank site" at Tuam, by Bon Secours Nuns 1925-61

    Quote Originally Posted by barrym View Post
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irela...view-1.3022612

    Interesting, but the possibility of more money is "in discussion" don't hold your breath?
    Money seems generally used to enforce silence. More significant that the money is I think the numbers of women and men who are openly talking about their experiences either of giving birth and having one's child taken, or of the homes and fostering out. The functioning of the system depends/depended on shaming, humiliating and silencing people.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  11. #266
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,792

    Default Re: 800 babies buried in unmarked "water tank site" at Tuam, by Bon Secours Nuns 1925-61

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Money seems generally used to enforce silence. More significant that the money is I think the numbers of women and men who are openly talking about their experiences either of giving birth and having one's child taken, or of the homes and fostering out. The functioning of the system depends/depended on shaming, humiliating and silencing people.
    Quite, but anyway this stuff is "old" as far as the present gov is concerned and the only risk is someone will make it an electoral issue, along with 8th amendment, water, the guards, the handling of vulnerable children, etc., etc. Maybe the ballot paper should have a list and then the question, who would you vote for?

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us