Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 800 babies buried in unmarked "water tank site" at Tuam, by Bon Secours Nuns 1925-61

Default 800 babies buried in unmarked "water tank site" at Tuam, by Bon Secours Nuns 1925-61

25 % of babies in the care of these "Bon Secours" (irony) nuns died, some from malnutrition.

http://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/...y-Galway-.html

It is suggested that this was only one of many such sites.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Default Re: 800 babies buried in unmarked "water tank site" at Tuam, by Bon Secours Nuns 1925-61

I find it worrying that I'm not surprised by this.
    The death of a child by malnutrition, when there is food available, is murder.
    There's no other way of looking at it.
    "This isn't working,
    My middle-brow f**ker"

Default Re: 800 babies buried in unmarked "water tank site" at Tuam, by Bon Secours Nuns 1925-61

What about the hundreds of famine graves; you know the 'paupers' graves

‘emaciated’, ‘pot-bellied’, ‘fragile’ with ‘flesh hanging loosely on limbs’.

Then entombed in concrete.

Most of the institutions produced mass graves - one of the institutions I was in produced 3 mass graves. Two of the mass graves were in an out of the way part of the cemetery but over time as the cemetery had more burials these two mass graves became noticed ... as they got more notice we began to hear the stories of these institutions - owned and managed by religious orders and funded by the state.

The FG / Labour Coalition is dead set against any inquiry into these Mother & Baby Homes and, from the experience of the Bethany survivors, dead set against any kind of redress (legal and monetary)!
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

It was a disused septic tank they were put into, according to local people.

http://www.thejournal.ie/tuam-mass-g...88267-May2014/
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

A storify of all @Limerick1914 tweets about the Children's Home in Tuam (1920s-1960s) ~ https://t.co/gnXEHrxioV
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

The accepted practice was that unmarried mothers in the Tuam home ‘agreed’ to provide a year of unpaid domestic service to the nuns, and that in addition to this servitude, the home received State support, via Galway County Council, to the tune of £1 per child or mother per week. Source

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    25 % of babies in the care of these "Bon Secours" (irony) nuns died, some from malnutrition.

http://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/...y-Galway-.html

It is suggested that this was only one of many such sites.
    What does 'Bon Secours' mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    What about the hundreds of famine graves; you know the 'paupers' graves
    This was still going on in the 1960s, apjp. There was enough food in the country to feed them.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    What does 'Bon Secours' mean?
    Good help - rescue.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Jesus wept!

Being covered on Newstalk now.

Susan Lohan of the Adoption Rights Alliance says that the nuns received a 'headage payment' per mother and child which was more than the average industrial wage at the time. There could be no excuse for malnutrition.

Colm Keaveney is calling for an independent inquiry into what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    Susan Lohan of the Adoption Rights Alliance says that the nuns received a 'headage payment' per mother and child which was more than the average industrial wage at the time. There could be no excuse for malnutrition.
    I heard £1 euro a week ?

Also, that Galway County Council were asked for more, in the 1950s, they said no, because weren't the babies breast fed anyway?

Galway County Council recently refused to contribute to a memorial for the site.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast