Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brid Smith PBP Candidate Arrested on Polling Day at Save Our Schools Protest

Default Brid Smith PBP Candidate Arrested on Polling Day at Save Our Schools Protest

@wearerabble
    Brid Smith, PBPA Dublin MEP candidate arrested in Ballyfermot supporting parents of Save Our Schools campaign fb.me/3dWUv4QGN

You couldn't make it up.

Very hard to imagine what could have merited arrest.

“ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Default Re: Brid Smith PBP Candidate Arrested on Polling Day at Save Our Schools Protest

WTF?? If this is some sort of stunt trying to derail her election campaign then it might well backfire spectacularly....

Default Re: Brid Smith PBP Candidate Arrested on Polling Day at Save Our Schools Protest

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    You couldn't make it up.

Very hard to imagine what could have merited arrest.[/B]
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    I see that in the comments someone denies she was arrested, and gives some detail:

A group Save Our Schools were handing out leaflets relating to the building that the vote was taking place in (the De La Salle school). An official told them they must be 100 meters from a polling station and called the cops who moved them away from the school/poling station.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Quote Originally Posted by Hapax View Post
    I see that in the comments someone denies she was arrested, and gives some detail:
    Is this because of canvassing laws? Handing out leaflets to save a school (which has been an ongong campaign in Ballyfermot) is not canvassing for the elections, its directly about stopping the closure of the school. I know Brid well, one thing that cannot be said is that she is not passionate about that she does. Politics is her bread and butter and her passion. Whole thing smells of rival politicos itching to get one over on her...
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Wonder how many votes this will be worth to her

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2
    Нооруз пиээ пурылыа выиттыа

'Our goal is to conquer state power for the Irish working class'
    Pat Rabitte, 1987

"Can I ask whether this is what the men of 1916 died for: a bailout from the German chancellor with a few shillings of sympathy from the British chancellor on the side?"
    Michael Noonan, November 2010

Looks cheeky to me. Everyone knows the rules that there should be no canvassing of voters on the way in to vote.
    There were 364 other days this year to lobby for the school.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Looks cheeky to me. Everyone knows the rules that there should be no canvassing of voters on the way in to vote.
    There were 364 other days this year to lobby for the school.
    And good for her. If John Bruton, a non resident, can jet in from Brussels to cast his vote in a referendum, then why shouldn't others flought electoral rules too.

Pat Rabitte, 1987

"Can I ask whether this is what the men of 1916 died for: a bailout from the German chancellor with a few shillings of sympathy from the British chancellor on the side?"

Quote Originally Posted by antiestablishmentarian View Post
    And good for her. If John Bruton, a non resident, can jet in from Brussels to cast his vote in a referendum, then why shouldn't others flought electoral rules too.

Is a person supposed to be resident to vote ? As addresses are given I would have thought they are.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Is a person supposed to be resident to vote ? As addresses are given I would have thought they are.
    Yes, that is why emigrants are refused the vote - non residents/non taxpayers are not allowed to participate in the Irish electoral process regardless of their citizenship.

Pat Rabitte, 1987

This looks prima facie like a deliberate electoral stunt, but if I am wrong I will accept that.

There are conflicting stories on whether she was actually arrested or not.

False reports that Brid Smith has been arrested at protest

Community 0 Comments 4 hours ago from Nyle Lennon, Community Manager
    There have been reports that People Before Profit Candidate for the Dublin European Elections and Local Elections in Ballyfermot has been arrested at a protest today in Ballyfermot.

We contacted the Garda Press Office and these reports are false.
    http://southdublin.today.ie/2014/05/...ts-brid-smith/

Quote Originally Posted by antiestablishmentarian View Post
    Yes, that is why emigrants are refused the vote - non residents/non taxpayers are not allowed to participate in the Irish electoral process regardless of their citizenship.

If John Bruton was voting illegally, should he not be stopped ?
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Is he a non-resident? Thought he's the president of El Dorado, Inc, err, the IFSC.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

One would think he would. But sometimes thinking in this country is what causes drinking in this country.

And which member of na nGardaí Siochána is going to risk their career by reporting a former taoiseach for violating electoral laws?

Pat Rabitte, 1987

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast