Thread: Longford - West Meath byelection 2014

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Longford - West Meath byelection 2014

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0428/612...r-by-election/

A row has broken out in Fianna Fáil over the eligibility of candidates to seek the party's nomination to fight a by-election in the Longford-Westmeath constituency.

Longford Fianna Fáil county councillor Martin Mulleady, has claimed the leadership of Micheál Martin has been seriously called into question

His comments come after party headquarters told elected representatives in the county today that they could not go forward to seek the party's nomination to fight the by-election in the Longford-Westmeath constituency, which is expected to be called on Wednesday.

Councillor Mulleady said he was bitterly disappointed with a directive from Fianna Fáil party headquarters that gave instructions for candidates only from the Athlone area of Westmeath to be allowed to seek the nomination.

A second Longford Fianna Fáil councillor Padraig Loughrey, has also attacked the decision, describing it as undemocratic and not in the best interest of the party

A third Fianna Fail member, seen as a likely candidate for nomination at the convention, former ICMSA Leader Pat O'Rourke, called for an immediate meeting with the party leader and general secretary to take place.

The writ for the Longford-Westmeath by-election is expected to be moved on Wednesday to fill the vacancy created by the death of Fine Gael's Nikky McFadden.

Ms McFadden's sister Gabrielle has already said she will see the party nomination at a Fine Gael selection convention.

Councillor Aengus O'Rourke, son of the former Government Minister Mary O'Rourke, says he is seeking the party nomination.

Default Re: Longford - West Meath byelection 2014

DENIS LEONARD SELECTED TO STAND FOR LABOUR IN BY-ELECTION

I am delighted to be selected as the Labour Party’s candidate in the forthcoming Longford/Westmeath by-election, and I would like to thank my constituency colleagues for their support.

I am standing in this election on my record for delivering for my local community. I have worked hard on the county council and I believe that if elected to the Dail, I will serve the people of Longford/ Westmeath well.

As a parent and teacher, I understand the struggles faced by families in our area and the challenges that local businesses must overcome. I have been involved in many organisations such as the GAA for twenty five years as a schools underage coach, Trocaire, Chernobyl Children’s Project, Irish Wheelchair Association, Westmeath Heritage Forum, and countless local community and environment groups. I have also been a leading campaigner both in Longford / Westmeath communities and on the council in relation to industrialised wind farms or indeed any developments that puts profit before people.

I am committed to maintaining and advancing rural services and will continue to advocate for the re-opening of the Killucan railway station. Rural communities must not fall behind as the national recovery begins. Building on my record of delivering essential amenities for the locality such as play grounds, bus shelters, I promise to work effectively to ensure the proper provision of social services to the people of Longford/ Westmeath. We must have a local recovery so people can work near home, and have a good standard of local public services to improve their quality of life.

The Labour Party values of solidarity and fairness are needed now more than ever. I can help to implement those values here, and will be calling for the swift implementation of free GP care for under 6’s so that the near 6,500 eligible kids across Longford / Westmeath can get this free service as soon as possible.

I look forward to meeting people in all parts of the constituency ahead of polling day on May 23rd, and promise to work hard in the years ahead.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre