Thread: Handbags between two Dublin North Local Election Candidates

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Default Handbags between two Dublin North Local Election Candidates

http://www.thejournal.ie/gary-gannon...32219-Apr2014/

A SPAT HAS broken out between two local independent candidates in Dublin’s north inner city after one of them was spotted taking down the other’s campaign poster.

27-year-old candidate Gary Gannon, who is a first time candidate, said he was told about the removal of his poster on Mountjoy Street by a member of the public who took a photo of the incident and sent it to him.
    Gannon spent in the region of €1700 on posters to promote his campaign and is running for the first time. Rival candidate in the elections , Mel Mac Giobúin admitted to taking down the posters.
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Default Re: Handbags between two Dublin North Local Election Candidates

I know Mel Mac Giobúin from some years back when we were members of the same independent poetry performance group called Cathedral who regularly operated out of the upstairs of The International Bar. Back then he was known as Mel Coll Rua. We were based out in Bray and County Wicklow mostly. We also worked with another poet and sculptor named Larry Cosgrove - who's since relocated to either Spain or possibly Canada - I'm not sure which, as he was well connected in with literary groups in both locations, but he was published several times in Ireland back in the late eighties and early nineties before he left to wherever he is now.

Mel and I also shared a studio space out in Bray at what used to be the old whiskey mill and wallpaper factory just by the bridge as you drive into the town. It's now a super-expensive private apartment block called The Maltings (I think) housing some rather big names from film and television amongst others. Proximity to the film studios out beyond Bray are a factor. In fact, the very room I used for my projects is now the home of a life-long friend of mine. His sofa is right where my tape machines and mixing desk used to be.

Mel is also the man responsible for designing a higher level version of the board game Risk, in which one attempts to take over the world. Mel invented 'Nuclear Risk' - a much more interesting version of the game wherein one placed a sheet of glass with a multi-squared grid marked out in black ink over the regular board and used nuclear weapons to wipe out ones opponents. A great game: took hours to complete. Usually over a few beers and spliffs, mind you.

A decent enough stage actor by all accounts, one time back in the eighties he came at me with a power drill after I'd taken some magic mushrooms. He acted the whole thing out like he was actually going to run the drill through my skull. I was seriously upset by it and never really got over it, he stands at just over two meters tall. Flaming red hair.

Aargh - I'm getting horrible flashbacks.

Mel has interests in literature, music, stage, film, art, sculpture, and several other creative areas.

A very interesting and decent character when I knew him.

This doesn't seem like his kind of game though - sabotaging his competition. I'm surprised by it.

He doesn't appear to have a website.

If you can find one, I'd be interested to see more about his political background.

Quote Originally Posted by Mowl View Post
    I know Mel Mac Giobúin from some years back when we were members of the same independent poetry performance group called Cathedral who regularly operated out of the upstairs of The International Bar. Back then he was known as Mel Coll Rua. We were based out in Bray and County Wicklow mostly. We also worked with another poet and sculptor named Larry Cosgrove - who's since relocated to either Spain or possibly Canada - I'm not sure which, as he was well connected in with literary groups in both locations, but he was published several times in Ireland back in the late eighties and early nineties before he left to wherever he is now.

Mel and I also shared a studio space out in Bray at what used to be the old whiskey mill and wallpaper factory just by the bridge as you drive into the town. It's now a super-expensive private apartment block called The Maltings (I think) housing some rather big names from film and television amongst others. Proximity to the film studios out beyond Bray are a factor. In fact, the very room I used for my projects is now the home of a life-long friend of mine. His sofa is right where my tape machines and mixing desk used to be.

Mel is also the man responsible for designing a higher level version of the board game Risk, in which one attempts to take over the world. Mel invented 'Nuclear Risk' - a much more interesting version of the game wherein one placed a sheet of glass with a multi-squared grid marked out in black ink over the regular board and used nuclear weapons to wipe out ones opponents. A great game: took hours to complete. Usually over a few beers and spliffs, mind you.

A decent enough stage actor by all accounts, one time back in the eighties he came at me with a power drill after I'd taken some magic mushrooms. He acted the whole thing out like he was actually going to run the drill through my skull. I was seriously upset by it and never really got over it, he stands at just over two meters tall. Flaming red hair.

Mel has interests in literature, music, stage, film, art, sculpture, and several other creative areas.

This doesn't seem like his kind of game though - sabotaging his competition. I'm surprised by it.

If you can find one, I'd be interested to see more about his political background.
    Interesting story and info!

I did search but could not find much only this

http://www.dublincity.ie/YourCouncil...acGiobuin.aspx
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

There are two other sites available with a bit more information and background:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cllrmelmacgiobuin?fref=ts

And his own: http://www.melmacgiobuin.org/

References to Tony Gregory appear here and there.
    Last edited by Mowl; 25-04-2014 at 01:17 PM.

Like the sound of the bloke.

Has worked in the inner city for twenty plus years

His blog mentions that his posters were in fact removed before he removed Gannon's posters.

An election poster of mine was removed overnight, only put up at 4pm yesterday afternoon along Jones Road, beside Croke Park Sports Stadium..
    Are we living in the valley of time-limited democracy?

Unlike other posted comments I've seen about various unnamed groups taking down each others posters and all that,
    I'm fairly sure big business and those at their 'beck 'n' call' were the culprits in my case.

It seemed to us like a perfectly fine pole for a poster as we were putting it up yesterday, within all the guidelines, however some unspoken law of the 'moneyed' have had their own interpretation and can interfere with the property of others as they please ! My election posters on the same road so far have remained in place.

This doesn't damage my election campaign but undermines democratic freedom for everyone and I do care about that. I would also like the poster and ties returned to me

What do you think?

http://www.melmacgiobuin.org/

If you look up garys website or indeed Irish election literature you will see he is endorsed by Tony Gregory's brother. Mel has "Gregory" independent candidate on his posters. I dont know if it has a bearing but its interesting to see

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mowl View Post

Great stuff Mowl, looks like you were living in a cross between an episode of The Young Ones and Trainspotting..