Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Thread: Homeless in Ireland - Ireland's Housing Crisis

Default Re: Homeless in Ireland - Ireland's Housing Crisis

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    Think about it this way: if people don't have three or more kids there will be no one to pay your pension.
    Are you sure you want dedogs to have a load of kids ? We will all be made to work until we drop, anyway.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Are you sure you want dedogs to have a load of kids ?
    That's not nice. I happen to know that dedogs cannot have kids, due to his diagnosis.

(I'm joking, clearly)
    Last edited by pluralist; 27-11-2017 at 08:13 PM.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Can anyone tell me anything about the FG plot to normalise homelessness and demonise homeless people ?

Does it mean we can get rid of the Min, in charge of the plot ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Can anyone tell me anything about the FG plot to normalise homelessness and demonise homeless people ?

Does it mean we can get rid of the Min, in charge of the plot ?
    It was mentioned at the Right to Change conference in connection with the 'hubs' in the old Magdalene laundries . Rory Hearne (NUI Maynooth) talked of a government stroke in losing many homeless in 'hubs' (centres in the old magdalene laundries) during the Housing panel
    He made a submission (along with a fellow academic) to the Joint Committee on Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government, detailed here https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/ne...n-and-children

A report from May http://www.thejournal.ie/family-hub-...14509-May2017/

Sketchy recent reports
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/soci...here-1.3287431
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-36309515.html
    Last edited by GregTimo; 29-11-2017 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    Think about it this way: if people don't have three or more kids there will be no one to pay your pension.
    no mate in fairness im talkin about the ***** im talkin about is the 1s that never pay for anything.... single mother with 6 kids for 6 different lads never works a day in her life and the kids wont either and theyre all better off than lads thats workin their hole off!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    That's not nice. I happen to know that dedogs cannot have kids, due to his diagnosis.

(I'm joking, clearly)
    a no mate the doctor gave me a bottle for that and everything a1 now....

https://www.irishexaminer.com/.../yo...meless-reveal- how-apollo-brought-light-to-our-lives-464895.html

At first glance the above story in the Examiner at first glance seems like a good new story – young long-term homeless couple have Xmas 2016 in Apollo House and love it, get married this summer and spend Xmas 2017 in their own one bed roomed flat.

But when I read it properly questions occurred to me.....

The couple have been together for more than 7 years which means they met around 18 and 19 given they are in their mid 20s now. He says ‘we were homeless seven years on and off.’ There is no mention of their families. Wouldn’t most teenagers be living at home at that age?

He refers to rent hikes being the main reason and refers to ‘always working when he had the chance to’ and working up to management level in McDonalds.’ There is no mention of her working. Why wouldn’t she have been, given they don’t have children to make working impractical on a low wage? Why couldn’t two single working people pay rent even if it was taking a big proportion of their net pay? Why not return home and save for their own place?

He refers to the reluctance of landlords to take HAP as another source of their long homeless problem. But HAP only came in a year or so ago. Could part of the reason be the lack of a good reference from the landlords they did have (the ones who put up the rent)? Were they problem tenants?

The really worrying thing in the article is that he says’ this time next year we’re hoping to have a kid...we’ve started a GoFundmepage for the IVF. Now why does he think they need IVF? That could only be if this homeless pair has been trying for a child for the past 7 years or so despite their circumstances. He is studying now and she plans to study ‘veterinary assistance in the New year.’ They are both only in their mid 20s. Why have a child now while studying and with only a one bed roomed flat?

I have a feeling there is more to this story. I hope I am wrong. Certainly the journalist should have raised some of the issues I have done.

A young homeless woman was found dead in the grounds of St Michan's Church in Dublin yesterday. There is a drip feed of reports of deaths of homeless people, but so far as I'm aware, no official tracking of these sad and unnecessary deaths on the streets, doorways, and parks.

http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-chur...08849-May2018/
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

We ran into a bunch of them one night on the ICHH outreach a month or so back. Head-wrecking seeing that and really sad if it is confirmed she was homeless . I'd say it's likely

Quote Originally Posted by GregTimo View Post
    We ran into a bunch of them one night on the ICHH outreach a month or so back. Head-wrecking seeing that and really sad if it is confirmed she was homeless . I'd say it's likely
    Confirmed https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dubli...ublin-14650226

Quote Originally Posted by GregTimo View Post
    Some deaths may result from lack of services to help people off addiction (and to stay off, once clean) as well as about housing.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Forcing people without enough income to buy a house into the private market is going to hit a wall when tenants reach retirement age. Any down turn raising unemployment will also spark an intense housing crisis greater than anything we've seen so far. This is not a question only in Ireland, but right across Europe and in the US. Previous generations had social housing, and also larger numbers if intergenerational households.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-2...reseen/9074360
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Forcing people without enough income to buy a house into the private market is going to hit a wall when tenants reach retirement age. Any down turn raising unemployment will also spark an intense housing crisis greater than anything we've seen so far. This is not a question only in Ireland, but right across Europe and in the US. Previous generations had social housing, and also larger numbers if intergenerational households.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-2...reseen/9074360
    whats wrong mate is theres too many ***** when they get into a place stop payin rent and its next to near impossible for the landlord to get them out..... then when they are got out after mebbe a couple of year the place is left in *****!!!!!! all that has to be paid for and do you know whos payin for it???? ordinry descent people that actually do pay their rent thats who.... make it like the states sos if you dont pay your rent the landlord can get a marshall to peg you out thatll get rent down here!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dedogs View Post
    whats wrong mate is theres too many ***** when they get into a place stop payin rent and its next to near impossible for the landlord to get them out..... then when they are got out after mebbe a couple of year the place is left in *****!!!!!! all that has to be paid for and do you know whos payin for it???? ordinry descent people that actually do pay their rent thats who.... make it like the states sos if you dont pay your rent the landlord can get a marshall to peg you out thatll get rent down here!!!!
    Your simplistic right wing rant completely ignores the deeper causes of the homelessness crisis.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    Your simplistic right wing rant completely ignores the deeper causes of the homelessness crisis.
    in fairness to me mate its not a rant atall i know what im talkin about cause yerman i work for rents out flats and he gets me to fix them up after he gets rid of ***** that wouldnt pay.... when you have to take out a carpet with a shovel you know what real scummers live like.....

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast