Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: Homeless in Ireland - Ireland's Housing Crisis

Default Re: Homeless in Ireland - Ireland's Housing Crisis

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    Farmers didn't have to pay income tax until the mid 1970s in Ireland. It's kind of why I always react when I see someone from the farming community, or dependent on farming for their income (albeit indirectly in your case) get on their high horse about free-loading.
    Never mind the extensive grants and tax breaks farmers enjoy.
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    No, it means that instead of having to rent often sub standard accommodation at extortionate prices from a private landlord you would have the opportunity of renting from the state.

Your views on people who live in social housing are quite ignorant... unfortunately it is people like you with views like that which have contributed to the housing crisis - it allows the govt to get away with not building social housing.
    not ignorant atall mate i know what im talkin about there.... i do do a bit of work for our landlord up and down and he use to take rent allowance tennants and youd want to see the cut of flats after them..... tell me im ignorant after you take out a carpet with a shovel cause dirty ***** let dogs piss and ***** all over it for a year!!!!

Developers have now got their very own "Urban Land Institute" and have a conference coming up in October with a former U.S. Presidential candidate speaking, and the recently departed head of the Housing Agency, Conor Skehan, too. Skehan, responsible for developing housing policy in Ireland, was on RTE news only about 2 years ago saying there was no housing crisis. Even now he does not concede there is a need to build more/increase supply - afraid of "overheating the economy". There is no evidence that this guy had a clue what he was doing. He is not, so far as I know, an economist. Landscape architect and FG, I was informed.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sponsored...ties-1.3208936

The crisis has intensified and really FG does not give a damn. Much of the zoned land is sitting in the hands of hedge funds and there is no money being put into social housing. Numbers being evicted are increasing (part of the solution according to Skehan). Whilst house prices are pushed up, the propertied class is happy enough.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Much of the zoned land is sitting in the hands of hedge funds and there is no money being put into social housing. Numbers being evicted are increasing (part of the solution according to Skehan). Whilst house prices are pushed up, the propertied class is happy enough.
    What I still can't understand is, what of the unfinished/NAMA-fied estates? There was a glut from 2006-2010..what happened to them? Are they mainly unusable ('ghost estates')?
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Lot of evictions by the vulture funds of USA as you could see a series of a long list of eviction notices in Irish courts. Also they are almost exempt of capital gains tax as i have heard that one of these special purposes vehicles (SPV) paid only € 250 approx.

FG (including Noonan) sold us out to the outsiders as they are the main originators and also creators of the 'homeless crises'.

It smacks of a true Greek tragedy as regards to quite serious humanitarian crisis that we have here in Ireland. Nothing to do with supply and demand cos there are thousands of empty and vacant houses across Ireland. It's an awful mess that we are in at the moment because so called 'heralded debt repayments' made by minister (don't recall his name) doesn't really translate into that.

It's a ROLLOVER of debts not a repayment of debt as debts being extended into long term debts with un repayable principal debt just mainly interest payments. Our Interest payments amounted to some 20-25% of govt expenditure this year. So the Inflation is bound to rise in coming year which in turn would put a further dent in govt expenditures that includes the homeless/social housing etc.

FG doesn't give a damn about us looking from outside perspective abroad. FG are selling us OUT which is quite very clear.

Class war is real, and FG are on the side of the 1%. It really is that simple.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    Class war is real, and FG are on the side of the 1%. It really is that simple.
    1% ? I get the impression there are more... my recent visit to Dublin shows, for me, a big difference between rural and urban; there seems to be more 16 and 17 cars on the road; hundreds of sleeping bags and tents just dumped after electric picnic.....Recovery is the word, in some places, but will it rescue FG?

Council urged to reopen 16 empty bedsits in Stillorgan
    Public representatives condemn non-use of homes as ‘outrageous and scandalous’
    Sat, Sep 16, 2017, 01:00
    Kitty Holland
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/soci...rgan-1.3222688

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233