Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Commemorations of the 1916 Rising

Default Re: Commemorations of the 1916 Rising

'We place the cause of the Irish Republic under the protection of the Most High God. Whose blessing we invoke upon our arms, and we pray that no one who serves that cause will dishonour it by cowardice, in humanity, or rapine.'

Quote Originally Posted by Richardbouvet View Post
    Why are official 1916 commemorations so often held on Easter Sunday instead of Easter Monday?

I am thinking more of the official state commemoration than those of civil or political groups.

The rebels of 1916 were careful not to fight on Easter Sunday. It amazes me that the Christian churches seem to have no problem with a fully-armed military parade being held on the holiest day of the Christian religion.
    What has you thinking that? The plan was to carry out the rising on Easter Sunday.

"The plan was to carry out the rising on Easter Sunday"

Well perhaps, but in the event it did happen on the Monday. That being so, why do we not leave the religious festival of Easter alone and have the 1916 commemorations on the Monday?

As good as new -
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

An unlikely dissident:

Mary Hanafin is opposing invitation of the British Royal family to 1916 commemoration events.

Will FF wrap itself in the green flag again, to differentiate itself from SF ?
    Last edited by C. Flower; 06-09-2014 at 04:40 PM.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    An unlikely dissident:

Mary Hanafin is opposing invitation of the British Royal family to 1916 commemoration events.

Will FF wrap itself in the green flag again, to differentiate itself from SF ?
    So have they confirmed a visit from the british queen? I don't think this will be met with any enthusiasim outside of the D4 media mafia. In fact there will be rukus and possible a much bigger seperate conmemoration. Also, locking the next government into this might seem to be a good idea by FG and the dominionites (the new redmondites) but it will backfire.

Would a SF lead government cancel such a visit?
    Last edited by C. Flower; 06-09-2014 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogiol View Post
    So have they confirmed a visit from the british queen? I don't think this will be met with any enthusiasim outside of the D4 media mafia. In fact there will be rukus and possible a much bigger seperate conmemoration. Also, locking the next government into this might seem to be a good idea by FG and the dominionites (the new redmondites) but it will backfire.

Would a SF lead government cancel such a visit?
    I think it very unlikely as Martin McGuinness has attended a "State Banquet" and met and shook hands with Queen Elizabeth already.

It is hard to see how Sinn Fein could object: but they will I presume say something to acknowledge the feelings of many prospective SF voters who will not a agree with this.

There clearly is very careful management of 2016 - an election year - going on. William Hague, Queen Elizabeth and Enda Kenny are all singing off the same "respect for two traditions" hymn sheet.

The notion of anti-Imperialism was never held by Fine Gael or its political antecedents.

Reading from this (Irish Times April 9th) there is an agreement on a visit, but nothing formal will be made public until they have tested the water further.

Kenny is working with "authentic historians." Is this a dig at Ferriter who has objected both to a visit and to the top down way this is being handled.?

Fianna Fail for decades managed to maintain the appearance of being a Republican party of some kind, associated with sovereignty. Whey they broke the economy and lost the country's sovereignty, that illusion was broken and they were rejected by most of the Irish people. This seems to be a tentative try at patching up that image.

I think that if anyone/group with any authority organised an alternative event, it would be massively supported, but who would do it ? I think the best prospects would be some form of local committees, starting particularly in Dublin.

Personally I don't like the tradition of focusing almost all 1916 commemoration into graveyards. I feel the Rising should be celebrated at the places where it was fought out, in the centre of Dublin, and maybe also at places associated with the signatories and their organisations. "Let the dead bury their dead."

Taoiseach Enda Kenny has said he would like to see Queen Elizabeth visit Ireland to take part in the 1916 centenary commemorations.

Mr Kenny said he was “very pleased” to hear the queen tell a state banquet for President Michael D Higgins at Windsor Castle last night that members of “her family and government” would stand side by side with the Government as it marks the anniversary.
    The Taoiseach said he had made clear that it would be the Government’s intention to, where appropriate, invite members of the royal family to attend and that the queen had now given her “endorsement” to the notion.
    However, he cautioned that there was protocol attached to royal visits and that some of the commemorative events were “quite sensitive” and needed to be “dealt with properly taking into account all of the traditions and so on”.
    “From a Government perspective we have to work out with our authentic historians on the best way to do these things in a commemorative sense, taking into account the spectrum of different opinion over the years and then to see what might be appropriate for the royal family to attend,” he told reporters after a business event at London’s Mansion House today.
    “[The queen] did say that they would stand shoulder to shoulder with Ireland in commemorating the events, leading, of course, to a more prosperous future.”
    Mr Kenny added: “As a Government we will work out what is the best thing to do about this.”
    Asked about the decision of Sinn Fein’s Martin McGuinness, Northern Ireland’s deputy first minister, to attend the Windsor banquet, Mr Kenny said he had previously made the point Mr McGuinness should have “should have attended at the Dublin Castle event when the queen came in 2011”.
    “That was equally as important and, in many ways, was absolutely momentous as it was the first visit for 100 years by a reigning monarch,” he said.
    A number of people who lost family members or were injured in IRA attacks such as the Birmingham and Chelsea bombings protested over the fact Mr McGuinness was invited to the event.
    Mr Kenny said he believed “you cannot have a block of politics anchored in the past that does not allow for the next generation to move ahead” and that the comments of Mr Higgins and the queen had endorsed the view.
    “The job has to be finished by those who have responsibility - elected leadership in politics. While you never get everything you wish for in politics, obviously compromise and a working arrangement for that future is what is really important here,” he said, adding that traditions had to be respected.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

SF are in the process of planning some major events to commemorate 1916 - there will be no royalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    SF are in the process of planning some major events to commemorate 1916 - there will be no royalty.
    Any idea when they will be announced ?
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Any idea when they will be announced ?
    No idea... but I think they have hired someone specifically to look after it and the other centenary events

I think it very unlikely as Martin McGuinness has attended a "State Banquet" and met and shook hands with Queen Elizabeth already.

It is hard to see how Sinn Fein could object: but they will I presume say something to acknowledge the feelings of many prospective SF voters who will not a agree with this.

There clearly is very careful management of 2016 - an election year - going on. William Hague, Queen Elizabeth and Enda Kenny are all singing off the same "respect for two traditions" hymn sheet.

The notion of anti-Imperialism was never held by Fine Gael or its political antecedents.

Reading from this (Irish Times April 9th) there is an agreement on a visit, but nothing formal will be made public until they have tested the water further.

Kenny is working with "authentic historians." Is this a dig at Ferriter who has objected both to a visit and to the top down way this is being handled.?

Fianna Fail for decades managed to maintain the appearance of being a Republican party of some kind, associated with sovereignty. Whey they broke the economy and lost the country's sovereignty, that illusion was broken and they were rejected by most of the Irish people. This seems to be a tentative try at patching up that image.

I think that if anyone/group with any authority organised an alternative event, it would be massively supported, but who would do it ? I think the best prospects would be some form of local committees, starting particularly in Dublin.

Personally I don't like the tradition of focusing almost all 1916 commemoration into graveyards. I feel the Rising should be celebrated at the places where it was fought out, in the centre of Dublin, and maybe also at places associated with the signatories and their organisations. "Let the dead bury their dead."
    No idea... but I think they have hired someone specifically to look after it and the other centenary events
    It is indeed being micro-managed but as our friend Saoirse has mentioned there are lines that have already been drawn in the sand. As a prospective SF voter, and I mean that, they will get nothing but scorn from me if they cow-tow to this redmondite heresy. Many people don't seem to realise the utter destruction wreaked upon this country until the brits were partially kicked out and the obvious revisionist push from above to make it seem like all was fine and good during the euphemistically named union is nothing less that disgusting. Many people know that, they feel it in their gut. Many of those same people were happy for McGuinness to meet the queen of britain as a gesture towards peace and indeed legitimation of the IRA's campaign against the orange apartheid state. This issue, however, has nothing to do with the other one and I believe that FG and Labour (as always) are moving in a direction that is contrary to the feelings of the everyday séan agus máire.... If there is to be a separate commemoration then it should be a celebration and it will attract tens of thousands.

pd. on a sidenote, you mention graveyards, I think there is a reason for easter celebrations in graveyards beyond commemorating death. I think they were a sort of neutral territory (possibly with the consent of the church) whereby some IRA members could openly commemorate their dead without garda interference... though this is pure speculation of course, but it would make sense...

I'm glad they are doing something...

What would the other events be ?
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by Ogiol View Post
    It is indeed being micro-managed but as our friend Saoirse has mentioned there are lines that have already been drawn in the sand. As a prospective SF voter, and I mean that, they will get nothing but scorn from me if they cow-tow to this redmondite heresy. Many people don't seem to realise the utter destruction wreaked upon this country until the brits were partially kicked out and the obvious revisionist push from above to make it seem like all was fine and good during the euphemistically named union is nothing less that disgusting. Many people know that, they feel it in their gut. Many of those same people were happy for McGuinness to meet the queen of britain as a gesture towards peace and indeed legitimation of the IRA's campaign against the orange apartheid state. This issue, however, has nothing to do with the other one and I believe that FG and Labour (as always) are moving in a direction that is contrary to the feelings of the everyday séan agus máire.... If there is to be a separate commemoration then it should be a celebration and it will attract tens of thousands.

pd. on a sidenote, you mention graveyards, I think there is a reason for easter celebrations in graveyards beyond commemorating death. I think they were a sort of neutral territory (possibly with the consent of the church) whereby some IRA members could openly commemorate their dead without garda interference... though this is pure speculation of course, but it would make sense...
    It does make sense, that perhaps it has afforded some form of protection. But it is also pretty invisible. I would love there to be some form of event in Dublin, at the Rising sites, that people could go to.
    There must be artists, poets, film makers who would want to do something ?
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Well, it seems that all those re-enactments of Patrick Pearse reading the Proclamation from the steps of the GPO were wrong.

It was Tom Clarke ('a small man, in plain clothes, with a bundle of papers under his arm') at Nelson's Column.

I like this picture.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-30589327.html

What I like less is the idea that we built the Spike on top of the site.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Two points:

1. As has often been stated, there were no steps of the GPO from which Pearse, Clarke or anyone else could have read the Proclamation

2. There's a logic to Matthews' claim of it being Clarke that actually read the Proclamation, aside from his being the first name among the signatories. The rising was staged by the IRB, of which Clarke was then the President; according to the IRB's constitution, its Supreme Council was the government of the Irish Republic until such time as that Republic was actually established and its (the IRB's) President was therefore the President of the Irish Republic. Pearse is later referred to as "Commanding in Chief the Forces of the Irish Republic and President of the Provisional Government" (see http://www.adams.ie/11838/EASTER-WEE...ntous-occasion) but notably NOT referred to as the President of the Republic which had been proclaimed the day before.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast