Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Commemorations of the 1916 Rising

Default Re: Commemorations of the 1916 Rising

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    I guess that the State was awash with miserable pro war and pro Empire, pro Royal, mush, in 1916, too, so perhaps it's apt.
    Well yes. Lillibulero is actually the station ID of BBC World Service. RTE seems to be their local franchise now , so why not? English adverts , Newsreaders ,voiceovers , jingles.. Myers x co would call made a racist for this observation. Irony bypass.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    I'm wondering why State bodies are releasing Irish historic data via this commercial US website.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancestry.com
    I'm guessing you're riffing off news reports like this one:

A COLLECTION spanning 250 years marking birth, marriage and death records from more than 1,000 parishes in Ireland - including almost 100 from the Dioceses of Cork and Ross and Cloyne - has gone online.

Ancestry, the world's largest online family history resource, has made 10 million historic Catholic Parish records from Ireland available. It is the largest collection of its kind available digitally.
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/...nline/1925430/

That report is a bit misleading, though. These parish registers were actually scanned by the Iriah National Archive and the scanned pages put online here: http://registers.nli.ie/

What Ancestry have done is to digitise and index the information in those scans. As it says, later in that report:

Ancestry indexed 373,000 digital images compiled from 3,500 parish registers across Ireland.
    Having spent many many hours working through the often illegible Latin of nineteenth century rural clerics, I can testify what a bonus this indexing is. Even though it's not always accurate, it's a major help.

/offtopic/

Some amazing photographs, from the Independent -
    Dublin, not Fallujah

“ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Colm Tobin has written a half hour run through of the lead up to the rising, through each of its main protagonists and their interaction. His tone is of obscure and unexplained disapproval, but it is still gripping reading, I think.

http://comeheretome.com/2016/03/24/e...nts-in-dublin/
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

I'm very sorry not to be there, for the commemorations this week end in Dublin, due to unavoidable circumstances.

There is a good run down here on Come Here To Me (great Dublin blog) on the different events that are on, actually commemorating and celebrating 1916. For those not interested, the Government is laying on free tango lessons ( I kid you not )

http://comeheretome.com/2016/03/24/e...nts-in-dublin/

Would much appreciate any first hand descriptions of events.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Yesterday -

Today

— Jean-Paul Sartre

Sunday 27th March
    The Irish State parade begins at St. Stephen’s Green at 10am, pausing for the wreath-laying ceremony at the GPO at noon, and concluding at Bolton Street at approximately 3pm. This event is open to the public who will be able to view the parade all along the parade route. Large screens will also be available to assist viewing.
    Sinn Fein’s main 2016 parade in Dublin is meeting at 1.30pm at Berkeley Road Church in Phibsboro marching to the 1916 plot in Glasnevin Cemetery. Mary Lou McDonald TD is the key note speaker

Easter Monday 28th March
    RTÉ’s major ‘Reflecting The Rising‘ is a city-wide event taking place between 11am – 6pm involving a huge range of “talks, exhibitions, live music, theatrical performances, special films, interactive activities and family entertainment”.
    Musical highlights include Lisa O’Neill, Kíla, Mick Flannery and co. performing on stage at Lower Fitzwilliam Street. As well as Sharon Shannon, The High Kings, The Celtic Tenors and co. on O’Connell Street.

Also, the North Inner City Folklore Project are unveiling a plaque to Sean MacDermott street. Meeting at Liberty Hall at 12pm.

— Jean-Paul Sartre

Wow..thanks for all the info.The govts own website is bit clunky. It has the Sunday parade starting with the wreath laying. Later it says it starts two hours earlier at Stephens Green. This seems logical. After the Proclamation and minutes silence etc the parade continues to Dorset St / Bolton St for 3pm. What on earth will detain people for 3 hours after the ceremony? Glad I'm not a foreign visitor trying to read the runes. Your stuff is way clearer. Let's hope the rain stops ☺

The lost leaders march was excellent yesterday

And in the real capital:

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...84&oe=57767B9C

The Cork Regional Council of the Workers' Party will hold it's Centenary Commemoration of the Easter 1916 Rising at the Republican Plot, St. Finbarr's Cemetery, Glasheen Road, Cork on Easter Sunday at 12 Noon. We would urge those attending to assemble at the cemetery gates at 11.30. All are welcome.

This year's speaker will Padraig Mannion, National Research Officer, The Workers' Party

What was the Lost Leaders march like ? Any photos.

I get the impression that there will be more people marching over the next few days, by far, than took part in the Rising.

Is Dublin packed ?
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    The lost leaders march was excellent yesterday
    Yeah ......... I was there and shot these two videos........

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Thanks, riposte.

Meanwhile, in O'Connell Street, Site Serv in its new livery puts up the stands. Larkin raises hands in outrage.

— Jean-Paul Sartre

Darling Nancy, I was shot leading a rush up Moore Street took refuge in a doorway. While I was there I heard the men pointing out where I was & I made a bolt for the lane I am in now. I got more [than] one bullet I think Tons and tons of love dearie to you & to the boys & to Nell & Anna. It was a good fight anyhow.

Please deliver this to Nannie O'Rahilly, 40 Herbert Park, Dublin.

Good bye Darling.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-34118451.html
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Easter Rising: it is time to apologise to the Irish
    One hundred years ago, the Irish people fought for independence from the British. But now bygones are bygones: we have too much in common to quarrel

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...the-Irish.html

Surprised by this as Heffer is rather right wing. Fair play to him all the same.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast