Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 248

Thread: Commemorations of the 1916 Rising

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,910

    Default Commemorations of the 1916 Rising

    Today, a fitting start to the celebration of 1916 as part of the month's mind of Christina Buckley attended by 100s of people -



    "...about 150 of them had walked there through the city centre from the Aislinn Centre on Jervis Street, with Christine’s husband Donal, her daughter Cliona, sons Darragh and Conor, close friend Carmel McDonnell Byrne, and Senator David Norris.




    The Aislinn Centre was founded in 1999 by Christine Buckley and Carmel McDonnell Byrne to assist people who had been in residential institutions as children.
    Many on the walk wore a white solidarity ribbon on their lapels with a metal image of the GPO attached, signifying the 1916 Proclamation of Independence and its promise to cherish all the children of the nation equally.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,910

    Default Re: Commemorations of the 1916 Rising

    50th anniversary -

    via

    @PhotosofDublin
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    5,099

    Default Re: Commemorations of the 1916 Rising

    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0411/608370-ferriter-2016/

    Some sense from Ferriter RE Royal attendance

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    22,431

    Default Re: Commemorations of the 1916 Rising

    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0411/608370-ferriter-2016/

    Some sense from Ferriter RE Royal attendance
    I heard that this morning. Sean O'Rourke seemed quite taken aback.


    Wonder how long Ferriter will remain on that advisory committee?

    "I presume what the Taoiseach is referring to is an expert advisory group that was appointed by the state two years ago of which I am a member and the idea is that we would advise the state on how they might approach certain of the commemorations and remember there's a difference between the official State commemorations and what people might choose to do outside of that.
    “The idea is the Government will make a decision, or even, has made a decision that there will be a royal presence or they will be invited and then perhaps they are going to ask an advisory committee where should they be placed."
    Last edited by PaddyJoe; 11-04-2014 at 10:56 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Greater Benelux
    Posts
    460

    Default Re: Commemorations of the 1916 Rising

    There used to be a small protest at the official state commemorations of the Easter Rising in the years 1969, 1970, and 1971

    After 1971 the government suspended the commemorations. This was on the pretext that it was too volatile an event given the background of the deteriorating civil unrest in the 6 Counties. But I think the political establishment have always been uneasy about commemorating 1916 simply because such commemorations validates resistance.

    The protest was a little bit before my time so i don't have all the details. I heard about it many years ago from someone around at the time who is politically conscious, i must put him over it again.

    The protest was organised by a group of PDs - the Peoples Democracy Movement, that is; you'll never hear me refer to that micro-party that was a strange mix of FF cast-offs (Dessie O'Malley), anti-socialist Labour Party liberals (Geraldine Kennedy), and anti-Labour Party Fine Gaelers (Michael McDowell), as well as just opportunists from here and there (incl. Mary Harney).

    The PD protest centred around the theme "Where is the republic?" and consisted of people holding placards with messages like that wrote on them. I'm not suggesting that the PD protest scarred the establishment away from holding the commemorations but the protest would have been as welcome as a dose of the runs. The political establishment and particularly FF who in these years would have likened themselves as "The Great National Movement" were quite content to propagate the message that the 26-county state was the fruits of the actions of the men and women of 1916. The last thing they want is a crowd of students pointing out that underneath the facade of nationalist rhetoric and flag-waving that Connolly's words were true:

    “If you remove the English army tomorrow and hoist the green flag over Dublin Castle, unless you set about the organisation of the Socialist Republic your efforts will be in vain.”

    If anyone knows anything concrete about these PD protests from the turn of the 70's feel free to share here. Photos would make my year!
    Sss-hh. Don’t mention the lack of sovereignty in the Irish state.
    The acknowledgement of the 1916 Rising by the Establishment and its nauseating, craven lackeys is simply a political convenience devoid of any real meaning!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,910

    Default Re: Commemorations of the 1916 Rising

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearse Monnet View Post
    There used to be a small protest at the official state commemorations of the Easter Rising in the years 1969, 1970, and 1971

    After 1971 the government suspended the commemorations. This was on the pretext that it was too volatile an event given the background of the deteriorating civil unrest in the 6 Counties. But I think the political establishment have always been uneasy about commemorating 1916 simply because such commemorations validates resistance.

    The protest was a little bit before my time so i don't have all the details. I heard about it many years ago from someone around at the time who is politically conscious, i must put him over it again.

    The protest was organised by a group of PDs - the Peoples Democracy Movement, that is; you'll never hear me refer to that micro-party that was a strange mix of FF cast-offs (Dessie O'Malley), anti-socialist Labour Party liberals (Geraldine Kennedy), and anti-Labour Party Fine Gaelers (Michael McDowell), as well as just opportunists from here and there (incl. Mary Harney).

    The PD protest centred around the theme "Where is the republic?" and consisted of people holding placards with messages like that wrote on them. I'm not suggesting that the PD protest scarred the establishment away from holding the commemorations but the protest would have been as welcome as a dose of the runs. The political establishment and particularly FF who in these years would have likened themselves as "The Great National Movement" were quite content to propagate the message that the 26-county state was the fruits of the actions of the men and women of 1916. The last thing they want is a crowd of students pointing out that underneath the facade of nationalist rhetoric and flag-waving that Connolly's words were true:

    “If you remove the English army tomorrow and hoist the green flag over Dublin Castle, unless you set about the organisation of the Socialist Republic your efforts will be in vain.”

    If anyone knows anything concrete about these PD protests from the turn of the 70's feel free to share here. Photos would make my year!
    The annual commemoration was revived a few years back and takes place under heavy (armed) security.

    I protested in 2009. I'm pretty sure there are no photographs
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,017

    Default Re: Commemorations of the 1916 Rising

    Good on ya Cass.... FG, in a coalition government, having managed to sidetrack all many the other issues by tabloid treatment and forcing RTE to spend a fortune on the royal visit and the state visit, I presume the '16 commemorations will fit nicely into the '16 GE timing?? I wonder whom will FG commemorate, Dev or Collins?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,910

    Default Re: Commemorations of the 1916 Rising

    I agree with Saoirse: the State events will be a farce and people will find their own way of celebrating.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,333

    Default Re: Commemorations of the 1916 Rising

    Just looked back at what the Queen said. Very carefully worded; includes government, WWI anniveraries as well as the events (plural) that led to independence.

    "My family and my government will stand alongside you, Mr. President, and your ministers, throughout the anniversaries of the war and of the events that led to the creation of the Irish Free State."


    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/polit...medium=twitter


    If the details of the visits are already a fait accompli, then our discussions will have no effect, but I imagine the planners will note reservations and sensitivities.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Peoples Republic of Cork
    Posts
    158

    Default Re: Commemorations of the 1916 Rising

    I think that the commemorations of the Easter rising and war of independence actually embarrass the government. They look at the whole 1916/23 period through this century's PC mentality. How dare the ordinary people claim ownership of our history, that is for the them and the historians to analyse and dissect, along with the likes of Harris and Myers, to sanitise and throw accusations at long dead freedom fighters...for that is what they were, whether it was for sectarianism..socialism..adventurism or vengeful reasons, it was all about independence.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,910

    Default Re: Commemorations of the 1916 Rising

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectabilis View Post
    Just looked back at what the Queen said. Very carefully worded; includes government, WWI anniveraries as well as the events (plural) that led to independence.

    "My family and my government will stand alongside you, Mr. President, and your ministers, throughout the anniversaries of the war and of the events that led to the creation of the Irish Free State."

    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/polit...medium=twitter

    If the details of the visits are already a fait accompli, then our discussions will have no effect, but I imagine the planners will note reservations and sensitivities.
    During QE2s visit, there were snipers on the rooftops (not sure if UK or Irish) and a lock down in central Dublin. I'm sure planners will make their plans for 1916.

    I hope that there are a lot of events of celebration, or maybe one big one, that people can take part in without having to give crediblity to the Government's ghoulish efforts to bury what 1916 was about.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,910

    Default Re: Commemorations of the 1916 Rising

    https://www.facebook.com/events/605396982877848/?ref=44


    On Saturday May 3rd @ 13:00hrs in Arbour Hill, Dublin. We'll be hosting an independent commemoration in honour of the 16 executed leaders of the 1916 Easter Rising.

    Speakers on the day are: Dee Fennell, Malachy Steenson, Margaret McKearney & Tom Stokes.

    May 3rd marks the date executions began with, Thomas J. Clarke, Thomas MacDonagh and Pádraig Pearse being the first.

    Those that followed their faith were:

    Joseph Mary Plunkett, Edward Daly, Michael O’Hanrahan & William Pearse, May 4th.

    John MacBride, May 5th.

    Éamonn Ceannt, Seán Heuston, Con Colbert & Michael Mallin, May 8th.

    Thomas Kent, May 9th.

    James Connolly & Sean MacDiarmada, May 12th.

    Roger Casement, August 3rd.

    May they eternally rest in peace.

    This is an independently run commemoration and ALL are welcome. No party banners allowed only relevant flags and banners.

    Anyone attending and wishing to lay a wreath are welcome to do so. Anyone doing so is asked to contact one of the page admins prior to event.

    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,910

    Default Re: Commemorations of the 1916 Rising

    We'll be gathering at the gates of Glasnevin Cemetery to be lead by a lone piper, Easter Sunday (April 20th) at 1pm. Speakers are Tom Stokes, who is a descendent of John Stokes who fought in the Bolands Mill garrison and Noel Hughes, historian and Dublin IRA veteran.

    As with all of our commemorations they are non-party political and we hope to see as many people, especially families, to come and commemorate our Patriot Dead in a manner befitting their memory.

    HONOUR IRELAND'S DEAD - WEAR AN EASTER LILY.

    Seán Heuston Dublin 1916 Society



    The commemoration will be chaired by a member of the Tomás Allen 1916 Society, Meath. It's a jointly-organised commemoration by the two neighbouring Societies in Leinster.
    Comrades All!
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    in the national interest
    Posts
    17,683

    Default Re: Commemorations of the 1916 Rising

    I am old enough to remember the fiftieth anniversary of the Easter Rising in 1966, which had a significant impact on me as a young member of the Republican movement. It was a year that saw a revival of interest in the writings of James Connolly. Their publication influenced not just a younger generation of republicans, but trade unionists, Labour Party activists and people on the left generally. This renewed interest was not always welcome. Éamonn Mac Thomáis, a leading member of Sinn Féin at the time, hung a banner on the party’s headquarters at 30 Gardiner Place, Dublin, to remind younger members where their true allegiance lay. It bore the legend: “We Serve Neither Queen nor Kremlin”, invoking the memory of Connolly’s banner on Liberty Hall fifty years earlier that proclaimed “We serve Neither King nor Kaiser”. To be honest some of us were neutral on the side of the Kremlin in 1966, just as Connolly had been neutral on the side of the Kaiser in 1916. Whatever thoughts Éamonn hoped to inspire in those of us in danger of being seduced by communism he certainly inspired a café proprietor down the road to put up another banner announcing “We Serve Hot Soup”. We should never underestimate the power of the commercial imperative to override politically inspired good intentions, or indeed bad intentions.
    http://www.drb.ie/essays/commemorati....b0mrtSCV.dpuf

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,910

    Default Re: Commemorations of the 1916 Rising

    Why are official 1916 commemorations so often held on Easter Sunday instead of Easter Monday?

    I am thinking more of the official state commemoration than those of civil or political groups.

    The rebels of 1916 were careful not to fight on Easter Sunday. It amazes me that the Christian churches seem to have no problem with a fully-armed military parade being held on the holiest day of the Christian religion.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us