Thread: Travelling on a budget - A frugal guide and tips

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Default Travelling on a budget - A frugal guide and tips

Probably the cheapest trip I have ever managed to get is to Estonia, I got my flights for thirty return and rented an apartment for two nights for forty quid (this is a few years ago). Some tips I think are worth sharing and maybe other peoples tips. I did this as a seperate thread to the actual travel thread as its concerned with being frugal than travelling itself.

Flights

Ryanair, Ryanair and did I say Ryanair? Their customer service much improved but its simple really. Travel midweek, pack a small backpack and be flexible with your dates. I have hopped all over Europe for little or nothing with this. Another great website is www.whichbudget.com which lists most of the world airlines that are budget as well as domestic and international airlines. There are more budget carriers than you may know of. Sky Scanner is also pretty good

Transport

Preplan as much rail travel as much as possible and travel off peak times this usually means 7am to 9am and 5pm to 7pm in most countries. www.bahn.de is a handy guide to most of the trains in central Europe. You can also travel for a fraction of the price by bus in some cases if cross border by using www.eurolines.com . Id never advise anyone to hitch for safety reasons but there is agencies that do offer to carpool or you can arrange lifts with some sites like gumtree or craigslist but again its all on your own head .

Accommodation

Everytime I go I tend to either stay in a hostel if I can or I use Air BnB (www.airbnb.com) , there is also couch surfing which I have done once, worked out ok! In NY recently I organised accommodation in NY in Brooklyn, was basic but did the job for the few nights. There are reviews to help you choose the safest option or the best quality option. If really shoe stringing it I have slept on trains when travelling too to save on cost. now that Im older I dont tend to that much!

Food and Drink

Common sense really, roadside stands, happy hour and cooking in !

Other tips welcome
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Default Re: Travelling on a budget - A frugal guide and tips

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post

Food and Drink

Common sense really, roadside stands, happy hour and cooking in !

Other tips welcome
    Fluffy, let me add to Food and Drink go to a market and stock up. You can feed really cheaply in street markets. It's not for everyone to make a meal of fruit but you could supplement the meal with bread (which seems to be incredibly cheap in everywhere in the world except li'l ol' Ireland).

Guided Tours / Bus Tours
    Keep these to a minimum - over-priced everwhere and how much are you going to remember anyway.

Rent a bike for the day and immediately your horizons have just expanded. Read up in the morning over your coffee and croissants a little bit about the city and/or countryside and then head off on your bike and check out whatever appealed to you.
    Sss-hh. Don’t mention the lack of sovereignty in the Irish state.
    The acknowledgement of the 1916 Rising by the Establishment and its nauseating, craven lackeys is simply a political convenience devoid of any real meaning!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearse Monnet View Post
    Fluffy, let me add to Food and Drink go to a market and stock up. You can feed really cheaply in street markets. It's not for everyone to make a meal of fruit but you could supplement the meal with bread (which seems to be incredibly cheap in everywhere in the world except li'l ol' Ireland).

Guided Tours / Bus Tours
    Keep these to a minimum - over-priced everwhere and how much are you going to remember anyway.

Rent a bike for the day and immediately your horizons have just expanded. Read up in the morning over your coffee and croissants a little bit about the city and/or countryside and then head off on your bike and check out whatever appealed to you.
    Thanks for adding to the tips! Add in that should the fruit be in season this cuts the cost a lot ! Also tastes nicer! Markets provide a chance to sample the local produce for little or nothing and get an idea for the local flavours. Market traders that sell food are a haven of information as to how to cook seafood and this rings true with those who sell fresh seafood !

Oh Pearse you are bringing me back to one of my favourite spots in Amsterdam - Cafe Stephen! Hot chocolate on an ice cold morning and a map of where to go and what to see! Facebook is a great way of meeting locals to ask them to show the city. Thanks to randomers I've seen Hamburg and London this way ( they even came to stay with me!).
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

In the US, you can also use the rideshare service on Craigslist.

Basically, someone embarking on a long journey by car will let you come along if you chip in for petrol and possibly share the driving. Can be a lot cheaper than flying

good example here: http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/rid/4418465405.html
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    In the US, you can also use the rideshare service on Craigslist.

Basically, someone embarking on a long journey by car will let you come along if you chip in for petrol and possibly share the driving. Can be a lot cheaper than flying

good example here: http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/rid/4418465405.html
    Again the caveat should be always be careful . Meet before hand if possible and text reg of car to friend or family member etc.

Anyone contemplating a RTW flight package should look at beginning and ending their trip in Bulgaria, rather than London, Amsterdam, etc. Depending on your itinerary RTW's originating in Bulgaria can be 30-45% below London prices. Even cheaper if you originate in Asia (Korea, Indonesia, Sri Lanka), of course you have to factor in the extra cost of a round trip to Asia, but when you do you'll find that you can get to a lot more destinations for the same money you would have spent originating in London. Starting in Bulgaria, I would then make the short hop to Istanbul my first leg. Turkish Airlines (Star Alliance, United, Lufthansa, Singapore, South African) now holds the title of serving the most countries, (106), not destinations, and can usually deliver you to where you want to go, or close to, at a lower price than Emirates, Ethihad, Qatar etc.

The nine airlines listed below are currently the only ones that fly to all six inhabited continents.

Delta Air Lines, British Airways, Emirates, Korean Air, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, and United Airlines.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Anyone contemplating a RTW flight package should look at beginning and ending their trip in Bulgaria, rather than London, Amsterdam, etc. Depending on your itinerary RTW's originating in Bulgaria can be 30-45% below London prices. Even cheaper if you originate in Asia (Korea, Indonesia, Sri Lanka), of course you have to factor in the extra cost of a round trip to Asia, but when you do you'll find that you can get to a lot more destinations for the same money you would have spent originating in London. Starting in Bulgaria, I would then make the short hop to Istanbul my first leg. Turkish Airlines (Star Alliance, United, Lufthansa, Singapore, South African) now holds the title of serving the most countries, (106), not destinations, and can usually deliver you to where you want to go, or close to, at a lower price than Emirates, Ethihad, Qatar etc.

The nine airlines listed below are currently the only ones that fly to all six inhabited continents.

Delta Air Lines, British Airways, Emirates, Korean Air, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, and United Airlines.
    Turkish Air offers some of the best deals flight wise depending on where you want to go especiall the Middle East and the former USSR. I found flights to Iran for little or nothing . Very good price too around €350 return including taxes when I was pricing around. BA are good value sometimes but Qanatas are extortion I found, their prices are sky high.