Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Diarmuid O' Flynn (Ballyhea14 bondholder protest) is standing for Ireland South in the European Parliament election May 23rd

Default Re: Diarmuid O' Flynn (Ballyhea14 bondholder protest) is standing for Ireland South in the European Parliament election May 2

For Andrew:
    I was not comparing O'Flynn to Hitler, McQuaid or John F Kennedy, other than pointing out that being a man of principle is not sufficient in itself to earn respect - well my respect or vote in any case.

Default Re: Diarmuid O' Flynn (Ballyhea14 bondholder protest) is standing for Ireland South in the European Parliament election May 2

Quote Originally Posted by riposte View Post
    Obviously you didn't understand my post ...... I wasn't sneering at O'Flynn ..on the contrary I was making exactly the same point as yourself. Please read it again.
    Sorry my apologies... you're right

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    McQuaid (an archbishop in the (ostensibly Christian) Roman Catholic Church, was reported as a 'man of principle' - and generally these reports were written by people he approved of. In truth his 'principles' were neither moral, ethical or Christian. He was an obdurate sectarian man in a frock.

If O'Flynn was in my constituency he would get my No. 1 preference, precisely because of his obduracy in the protest that continues to highlight the enormous debt that has being placed on Irish citizens shoulders.
    I posted a video earlier of a young woman going through all the MEP Dublin candidates like a dose of salts. She didn't have much time for them, but was most frustrated by Paul Murphy, because she said he described problems, but didn't say what he would do about them and how he would do it. O'Flynn has good targets - the bank debt, the financial transaction tax, the Transatlantic trade partnership, regulation of banks, taxation and a reassessment of the Euro and Ireland's involvement with it. He wants to summon up mass protest power to shift politicians on these things. It is straightforward and I can see why to give him a vote. But should he be elected he would be inevitably be involved in much broader issues on which he hasn't declared himself. It is a political guessing game.

O'Flynn is one of many new candidates being pushed forward by the economic crisis. Some will turn out to be turkeys or worse, others I hope will come good. I guess the proof of the pudding for many of them will be in the easting (with apologies for excess of xmas metaphors).
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Also in a broader context, the issue of political groups such as loose coalitions- EPP (European people party which is misleading) in the European parliament as Merkel and Kenny in the same grouping. It's important to think of a bigger picture when you come to exercise your vote on this Friday.

Like to see more independents there gain more seats to challenge EU status quo and their block grouping voting powers.... remember ex DOF Cardiff saga.

Such is the diversity of various candidates out there which was great to see cos it takes away FG/FF/LAB- establishment vote and also potentially transfer system less effective now, which was prevalent in the past.
    Last edited by disability student; 21-05-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456