Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 79

Thread: Diarmuid O' Flynn (Ballyhea14 bondholder protest) is standing for Ireland South in the European Parliament election May 23rd

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Peoples Republic of Cork
    Posts
    158

    Default Re: Diarmuid O' Flynn (Ballyhea14 bondholder protest) is standing for Ireland South in the European Parliament election May 2

    Is Declan Ganley still linked up with Ballyhea?

    Please say no ! any respect I may have have for Diarmuid will rapidly disappear.
    I do not know the means for drawing up the indictment of an entire nation. Edmund Burke 1778.

    We all partied. Brian Lenihan 2010

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The West
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: Diarmuid O' Flynn (Ballyhea14 bondholder protest) is standing for Ireland South in the European Parliament election May 2

    Well he's neither Left nor Right, neither hot nor cold, neither up nor down, neither a cute hoor nor not-a-cute-hoor, neither a self-seeking charlatan nor not-a-self-seeking charlatan... He is all things to all men.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Peoples Republic of Cork
    Posts
    158

    Default Re: Diarmuid O' Flynn (Ballyhea14 bondholder protest) is standing for Ireland South in the European Parliament election May 2

    There was a good interview on C103 this morning, a wee bit luvvy duvvy, but you could get the passion he feels, tougher and more politicaly astute presenter would have been better, maybe he would have to answer the tough, but usually inane questions.
    I do not know the means for drawing up the indictment of an entire nation. Edmund Burke 1778.

    We all partied. Brian Lenihan 2010

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,980

    Default Re: Diarmuid O' Flynn (Ballyhea14 bondholder protest) is standing for Ireland South in the European Parliament election May 2

    Ballyhea has always had a policy against party political flags and banners on its marches. That has kept the opportunist left away.
    It did not discourage Ganley and Gurdgiev who are their own brands and don't need a banner to advertise who they are.

    They are were on a number of marches and meetings in north Cork.

    http://www.bloggingisfree.com/2012/0...h-history.html

    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/03/05/...s-of-ballyhea/ http://www.broadsheet.ie/tag/ballyhea/

    As Ganley was involved in setting up a Swiss escape vehicle for footloose Irish cash, and aspires to be a big anti-regulation capitalist, his involvement appears to be entirely opportunist and cynical.

    The determination and grit of D'OF is impressive, but Ganley is part of the hard right, there is no doubt about it at all - he did his damndest to create a european -wide party based on groups like the True Finns and League of Polish Families and similar. Libertas had a pro strike breaking clause in its memorandum and articles. However, I've heard less about him being involved with Ballyhea recently. I don't know why.

    I am amazed that Michael Taft would join Ganley on a platform. Ming is less of a surprise.

    http://namawinelake.wordpress.com/20...0-in-ballyhea/
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    in the national interest
    Posts
    17,684

    Default Re: Diarmuid O' Flynn (Ballyhea14 bondholder protest) is standing for Ireland South in the European Parliament election May 2


  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    946

    Default Re: Diarmuid O' Flynn (Ballyhea14 bondholder protest) is standing for Ireland South in the European Parliament election May 2

    Indeed. They will hang Ballyhea in the end. And if they don't his own crowd will. Ethical capitalism me arse. A large posse of farmers and local retailers has gathered Mr O Flynn. They appear to be armed with very large....aaaargh.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    560

    Default Re: Diarmuid O' Flynn (Ballyhea14 bondholder protest) is standing for Ireland South in the European Parliament election May 2

    A scoop for Political World - Diarmuid O'Flynn, supports the water charge protesters:

    http://www.diarmuidoflynn.com/2014/0...er-charge.html

    At present there are resistance groups forming right across the country to prevent the installation of water meters, Cork being the standout battleground. Not alone do I praise those taking that stand, I take my hat off to them and had I the time, I would be there standing with them.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,980

    Default Re: Diarmuid O' Flynn (Ballyhea14 bondholder protest) is standing for Ireland South in the European Parliament election May 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Donal Og View Post
    Indeed. They will hang Ballyhea in the end. And if they don't his own crowd will. Ethical capitalism me arse. A large posse of farmers and local retailers has gathered Mr O Flynn. They appear to be armed with very large....aaaargh.

    These people - local farmers and retailers - very likely form the bedrock of Ballyhea. Dermot O Flynn believes in capitalism and in democracy and believes that they should be made to work. He seems to believe that if people firmly and persistently put the case for refund of the Irish people's bailout to the EU, it will happen. In this regard, he is very like the typical whistleblower - Snowden for example - who is an establishment member, but can't accept the very nast reality of the system of which he is part. Unfortunately for this approach, capitalism is sick to the core and out of control and has gone past the stage of having truck with democracy. The recent banning of April 6th Movement in Egypt (a movement not unsimilar to Ballyhea in many ways) is another sign that big capitalism doesn't see democracy as a runner these days (as does the installation of the Kyiv regime).

    The far right is increasingly the vehicle through which this untenable system is being protracted, and the mass of people in Egypt were mobilised through populist slogans to enable the military coup to take place - cleaning up corruption, ending the corruption of the MB and running the economy better were slogans that helped to get millions on the street - the army stepped in and took over to deal with all these worthy aims. Many democrats and lefts were part of the crowd.

    Determination is not enough and fairness is not going to happen under the present system. There has to be an alternative and the only alternative is socialism. Mr. O Flynn is not a socialist.

    https://www.youtube.com/embed/FNi6kx7wvOU
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    946

    Default Re: Diarmuid O' Flynn (Ballyhea14 bondholder protest) is standing for Ireland South in the European Parliament election May 2

    Agus sin sin. That about sums it all up.I'll probably vote for him all the same - or give him second preference. But more in hope than anger.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,980

    Default Re: Diarmuid O' Flynn (Ballyhea14 bondholder protest) is standing for Ireland South in the European Parliament election May 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Donal Og View Post
    Agus sin sin. That about sums it all up.I'll probably vote for him all the same - or give him second preference. But more in hope than anger.
    The determination and sense of justice is very appealing. But at some stage he will have to decide which side of the line he is going to fall - there is no Third Way other than a very bad one. I would feel a lot more confidence if I knew he had given Declan Ganley the boot from Ballyhea platforms.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    in the national interest
    Posts
    17,684

    Default Re: Diarmuid O' Flynn (Ballyhea14 bondholder protest) is standing for Ireland South in the European Parliament election May 2

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    The determination and sense of justice is very appealing. But at some stage he will have to decide which side of the line he is going to fall - there is no Third Way other than a very bad one. I would feel a lot more confidence if I knew he had given Declan Ganley the boot from Ballyhea platforms.
    Agree entirely but every Flynn elected is seat not gone to FF etc and outsiders getting in is something to build on for everyone.

    If he wants a mandate to keep doing what he is doing, he should get it.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,980

    Default Re: Diarmuid O' Flynn (Ballyhea14 bondholder protest) is standing for Ireland South in the European Parliament election May 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. FIVE View Post
    Agree entirely but every Flynn elected is seat not gone to FF etc and outsiders getting in is something to build on for everyone.

    If he wants a mandate to keep doing what he is doing, he should get it.
    I will be surprised if he does not get in. He is respected.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    560

    Default Re: Diarmuid O' Flynn (Ballyhea14 bondholder protest) is standing for Ireland South in the European Parliament election May 2

    Hi Folks - want to reply to several points above - am unable to keep up with workload at the moment. Back as soon as I can to reply properly. I'll say this much though, Diarmuid accepts the very nasty reality of the system we have got - he is standing for election to take a stand against it - and his campaign is not at all just about the bank bailout - he is seeking wide ranging changes, in common with what are expected to a large tranche of newly elected MEPs - that puts profit 'a very long way down the list as a consideration' - as he has put it. He is against all forms of unsustainable profiteering, and endless growth at the expense of the planet and of people. He may not believe that socialism is the solution but he is as genuine and intelligent a person as anyone here - and indeed much of what he espouses is consistent with socialist principle in any case. Every system has its ugly underbelly - socialism is no exception. I don't think socialists themselves give enough time to thinking what that might be. As a movement it urgently needs to address that problem because the failure to do so is causing it to repel many well-intentioned people - even at a time when its evident merits should be attracting far more people to it than it is. It's the harsh, didactic judgmentalism of so many socialists which is doing the most damage. If you are not a socialist then you must be a contemptible fool. No thank you. :-)

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,980

    Default Re: Diarmuid O' Flynn (Ballyhea14 bondholder protest) is standing for Ireland South in the European Parliament election May 2

    Quote Originally Posted by MediaBite View Post
    Hi Folks - want to reply to several points above - am unable to keep up with workload at the moment. Back as soon as I can to reply properly. I'll say this much though, Diarmuid accepts the very nasty reality of the system we have got - he is standing for election to take a stand against it - and his campaign is not at all just about the bank bailout - he is seeking wide ranging changes, in common with what are expected to a large tranche of newly elected MEPs - that puts profit 'a very long way down the list as a consideration' - as he has put it. He is against all forms of unsustainable profiteering, and endless growth at the expense of the planet and of people. He may not believe that socialism is the solution but he is as genuine and intelligent a person as anyone here - and indeed much of what he espouses is consistent with socialist principle in any case. Every system has its ugly underbelly - socialism is no exception. I don't think socialists themselves give enough time to thinking what that might be. As a movement it urgently needs to address that problem because the failure to do so is causing it to repel many well-intentioned people - even at a time when its evident merits should be attracting far more people to it than it is. It's the harsh, didactic judgmentalism of so many socialists which is doing the most damage. If you are not a socialist then you must be a contemptible fool. No thank you. :-)
    Not a fool. He is respected. The division between socialism and capitalism is in my view not to do with intelligence and much more to do with history, social development, the way that technology and production has developed, and the potential it has to satisfy peoples needs. People of property often oppose it, people without often support it - mainly but not entirely based on class position.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    in the national interest
    Posts
    17,684

    Default Re: Diarmuid O' Flynn (Ballyhea14 bondholder protest) is standing for Ireland South in the European Parliament election May 2

    Good profile of O'Flynn in today's El País

    http://hiredknaves.wordpress.com/201...nst-the-banks/

    O’Flynn does not reject the European Union, but he believes it is not working and has to be reinvented. “I hate nationalisms and I cannot bear it when people say that Ireland is the best little country in the world. When did that competition happen? When did we win it?”, he says, with irony. But he believes in the nation-State and questions the ceding of sovereignty to the European Union. He does not believe in the institutions created at a European level, of which only one (the European Parliament) is elected and in the rest those in control are unelected officials (the European Commission, Council, Court of Auditors, Court of Justice, and Central Bank). He believes the first thing that must be done is “reverse in an orderly way out of the Euro”.

    He outlines his programme in a very long poem of eight pages that he has written in his spare time and in which he satirises with examples such as the following: Pythagoras’s Theorem, 24 words; Lord’s Prayer, 66 words; Archimedes’s Principle, 67 words; Ten Commandments, 179 words; Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address, 286 words; Proclamation of the Republic of Ireland, 475 words; United States Declaration of Independence, 1,300 words; EU Regulation Number 159/87 establishing the required quality for cabbage, Brussels sprouts, sticks of celery, spinach and plums, 5,091 words.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us