Thread: Gender Balance in the Local Elections

Default Gender Balance in the Local Elections

The Sunday Times is reporting today that Fine Gael could lose 5 million euro in taxpayer funding and Fine Fail 3 million, if they don't increase the percentage of women running in elections.

This won't apply to the locals, but Sinn Fein and Labour are way ahead of FF and FG in gender balance.

Less than 18% of FIanna Fail's 420 candidates will be women
    23% of Fine Gael's 467 candidates
    28.5% of Labour's 186 candidates will be women

In General Elections, parties standing less than 30% women candidates in General Elections will be penalised with funding cuts.

Dara Calleary, hon sec of FF, says he is disappointed, but I've read that some young FF hopeful wans are disappointed too.Curran of FG also claims it's hard to get women to stand.

I'm not attached to the idea of quotas, as a solution to gender equity, but the figures are still interesting and show that political conservatism and gender inequity in Ireland still go hand in hand.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Default Re: Gender Balance in the Local Elections

I do think the figure should be 25% and not 30. It's very hard to manage a family and a Dail seat, especially for those outside the Dublin commuter belt, I'd say all parties are having problems with female recruitment. Of course Labour's figures look better; they have proportionally a higher percentage of Dublin support.
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves "

Quote Originally Posted by morticia View Post
    I do think the figure should be 25% and not 30. It's very hard to manage a family and a Dail seat, especially for those outside the Dublin commuter belt, I'd say all parties are having problems with female recruitment. Of course Labour's figures look better; they have proportionally a higher percentage of Dublin support.
    Something wrong with rural women ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Not really, they just realise the impact it would have on quality of life. Not just women, too, I remember a relative recounting a chat with a rural TD's son, didn't want to stand for election owing to having a young family and being aware he'd never see them. And then, in a lousy economy, there's the abuse factor. It really isn't a dream job.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Chances are you're choosing from a pool of the young ones (under 30s no kids) and maybe a few older seasoned mammies whose kids have got to the college stage; very few 30-40 somethings?

Over 30% of SFs candidates are women. Quotas are necessary as things have not changed by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    Over 30% of SFs candidates are women. Quotas are necessary as things have not changed by themselves.
    I don't think they are necessary at all. I'm very much against them.
    I believe in equality & therefore believe that any women entering politics are just as egotistical, can be just as corrupt & sly as the men.
    So that means I look at their policies, I take time to see what they & moreso what their party stands for.
    The argument that they have to be on the ticket in the first place does not stand up for me. Also I just don't care that they have childcare issues, tough luck!