Thread: Spritz reader: Getting words into your brain faster

Default Spritz reader: Getting words into your brain faster

Spritz shows you one word at a time through a narrow, rectangular viewing pane called the "Redicle." That name is a pun of sorts, as each word has one letter highlighted in red (get it?!). In more technical terms, that letter is the "optimal recognition point," the letter that helps your brain piece the word together quickly (and with as little eye movement as possible). The speed is adjustable, too, ranging from 100 words per minute to 1,000 -- far exceeding Spritz's claimed average of 220 words per minute.

Review from GizMag. Here's a demo if you want to try for yourself or use this bookmarklet to "spritz" your favourite websites.

The ebook reader of the future?

Some reading apps inspired by Spritz are already available for Android, such as Spead Read.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Default Re: Spritz reader: Getting words into your brain faster

That is very clever and it is flattering to think one can read '40% faster than most people'
    I would be interested in knowing how much can be retained at those speeds. I have a feeling that I wouldn't do very well with it. The Gizmag review says that

'Spritz claims that information retention rates on "spritzed" content are equal to or higher than that of traditional text block reading, and that some of its testers are now comfortably ingesting content at 1000 words per minute with no loss of information retention.

I'm lucky in that I can read very fast (came naturally), and the "trick" to speed reading is not to exclusively focus on a single word at a time but to read groups of words and sentences together, or to "skim read" ahead while simultaneously your mind is focusing more intensely on a word a sentence or so behind. (I don't know if I'm making much sense)

The Spitz thing kind of destroys sentence structure and just feels very juddering and unnatural - like a robot speaking, I can't use it at all.

I can't see myself reading books this way (it does kill paragraph breaks and text formatting) and what's the point in consuming a Harry Potter novel in just 77 minutes anyway?

But I can imagine it is a great help for reading longer articles on a smartphone or even a tablet as one doesn't have to scroll like mad. It would also allow for smaller displays and thus better battery life as the power consumption of the display is a main factor for battery drain.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    I'm lucky in that I can read very fast (came naturally), and the "trick" to speed reading is not to exclusively focus on a single word at a time but to read groups of words and sentences together, or to "skim read" ahead while simultaneously your mind is focusing more intensely on a word a sentence or so behind. (I don't know if I'm making much sense)

The Spitz thing kind of destroys sentence structure and just feels very juddering and unnatural - like a robot speaking, I can't use it at all.
    It needs a degree of concentration as well. Humans retain about ten percent of what they read or in some cases roughly twenty . Viewing TM's post I had to get used to the speed with which the app spat out the words, made it difficult to grasp.!
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg