Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moore's Law

Default Moore's Law

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    Computers will get faster as we look at quantam computing and the properties of light and how it can aid us to create faster computers. Science has also delved into using DNA as a way of encoding information . Limitations will be reached in the next few years using current technologies but it will develop a bit faster if we adapt to newer technologies.

New technology was announced recently

https://news.mst.edu/2014/02/st-comp...puting-device/

My reading of it is that the limitations are in the gateways as they are termed, they use logic gates which allow for one output but this other system allows for multiple outputs.

Cheers for that Fluffy. I thought it best to create a new thread to avoid the overheated process in the other one.
    I just wasn't sure if economics influenced circuitry density on silicon. I'm aware that heat dissipation became a major problem with increasing processor speeds which has been combated, to an extent, with the introduction of multi-core/multi-threaded CPUs.

I had read a while ago that they were toying with crystals in the hope of using them as a storage medium but haven't really been following techie stuff as often as I used to. I suppose I'm just getting old.

Default Re: Moore's Law

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

Cheers for that Fluffy. I thought it best to create a new thread to avoid the overheated process in the other one.
    I just wasn't sure if economics influenced circuitry density on silicon. I'm aware that heat dissipation became a major problem with increasing processor speeds which has been combated, to an extent, with the introduction of multi-core/multi-threaded CPUs.

I had read a while ago that they were toying with crystals in the hope of using them as a storage medium but haven't really been following techie stuff as often as I used to. I suppose I'm just getting old.
    Photonics.
    The state of the art is fast approaching the limits of what electronic circuitry can accomplish. Electrons can only move so fast through a semi-conductor.
    Photons (particles of light) however have a much higher threshold. With the invention of photonic circuits the foundations are being laid for much much faster processing that generates significantly less heat.
    Imagine that, a computer that uses light to process stuff, not electricity, wow.

Moore's law is the observation that, over the history of computing hardware, the number of transistors on integrated circuits doubles approximately every two years. The law is named after Intel co-founder Gordon E. Moore, who described the trend in his 1965 paper.[1][2][3] His prediction has proven to be accurate
    Last edited by musashi; 04-03-2014 at 04:01 AM.
    In case this all goes pear-shaped, I'll bid you adieu

Do you think we'll live to witness it Musashi?
    Surely our wee processors are too fast anyhow? Two thousand million operations per second. Shocking!

I was having another look at the article Fluffy' posted. Although it's not referred to as such, doesn't it address fuzzy-logic? More than two inputs.

Do you think we'll live to witness it Musashi?
    Surely our wee processors are too fast anyhow? Two thousand million operations per second. Shocking!

I was having another look at the article Fluffy' posted. Although it's not referred to as such, doesn't it address fuzzy-logic? More than two inputs.
    Man I love that ****, a logic gate that switches so fast it can be said to be both on and off at the same instant; quantum computing.
    2,000,000,000 operations per second mmm

I hope to see a photonic computer in my lifetime and more yet besides.

Hey you ever find out what was wrong with your friend's laptop?

Photonic computers may well be introduced by the time I finally address that issue. I keep telling myself that I'll drop it down to the surgery next week. I'm so disorganised. Anyhow, she's got a new one and isn't in a big hurry to get the other one back. I'll report the cause of the fault here when I get around to it.

If someone here will keep nagging me about it every time I post, it'll probably help speed things up.

I missed your question in the Bitcoin thread, and you obviously missed in my post immediately above yours, this:
    Witness Moore's law, which predicted a doubling of computer power every 18 months, (with downstream effects), and which is now beginning to sunset as predicted.
    I don't believe quantum computing is subject to Moore's Law. Different realm.

There's a Canadian company, D-Wave already up and running selling quantum computers to Amazon, CIA, Google, NASA etc, at $10M a pop.

Quantum Computing: A Primer.

9 Ways Quantum Computing Will Change Everything

IBM questions the performance of D-Wave's quantum computer

Researchers Just Solved One of Quantum Computing's Biggest ..

D-Wave, The Quantum Computing Company
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

I missed nothing. I took my response to Fluffy here so as not to clutter or get further involved in that thread. I'm sorry I even asked a question in an open forum now.

I'm finished completely with the subject.

If you didn't miss it, why did you ask the question?
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    I missed your question in the Bitcoin thread, and you obviously missed in my post immediately above yours, this:

I don't believe quantum computing is subject to Moore's Law. Different realm.

There's a Canadian company, D-Wave already up and running selling quantum computers to Amazon, CIA, Google, NASA etc, at $10M a pop.

Quantum Computing: A Primer.

9 Ways Quantum Computing Will Change Everything

IBM questions the performance of D-Wave's quantum computer

Researchers Just Solved One of Quantum Computing's Biggest ..

D-Wave, The Quantum Computing Company
    Google engineers had suggested that performance will improve as D-Wave continues to double the number of qubits on its processors. A qubit, or quantum bit, is the basic unit of information for quantum computing. Unlike a regular binary bit, a qubit is able to hold two states at a single time, an effect called superposition that could be a key element to powerful quantum computers.
    I wonder if Moore's Law applies to quantum circuitry.

Photonic computers may well be introduced by the time I finally address that issue. I keep telling myself that I'll drop it down to the surgery next week. I'm so disorganised. Anyhow, she's got a new one and isn't in a big hurry to get the other one back. I'll report the cause of the fault here when I get around to it.

If someone here will keep nagging me about it every time I post, it'll probably help speed things up.
    Careful what you wish for

Quote Originally Posted by musashi View Post
    I wonder if Moore's Law applies to quantum circuitry.
    That's above my pay grade.

Quote Originally Posted by musashi View Post
    Careful what you wish for
    Ha ha. I still haven't left it in to get fixed yet. I was sleeping.

There's no arguing with the specifics though. Moore's Law exclusivly addresses transistor density on integrated circuits; a finite metric.

Computing power, on the other hand, is an entirely different subject, not that I'm forcing it on anyone. I initially quoted nobody, openly addressing everyone.

I responded to Fluffy here out of common courtesy.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Technology jumps leaps and bounds with materials science . Note though that none of this is my area of expertise bar reading a few articles on the matter! New technology in the pipeline currently is multiferrorics which may increase the computing power of processors by 1000 fold. These address the problem of microprocessors overheating in computers. Maybe someone with a knowledge of electronic engineering or physics could make it simpler for us!
    The UCLA Engineering team used multiferroic magnetic materials to lessen the amount of power consumed by “logic devices,” which are a type of circuit on a computer chip devoted to performing functions such as calculations. A multiferroic can be switched on or off by applying alternating voltage, which then carries power through the material in a cascading wave through the spins of electrons – a process referred to as a spin wave bus.
    Read more: http://www.sciencerecorder.com/news/...#ixzz2vHvY32B4
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    Maybe someone with a knowledge of electronic engineering or physics could make it simpler for us!
    Unfortunately there's not much moore I can add.

A physicist suggests ditching the transistor for a new type of computing."
    Joshua Turner, a physicist at the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory... has proposed using the orbits of electrons around the nucleus of an atom as a new means to generate the binary states (the charge or lack of a charge that transistors use today to generate zeros and ones) we use in computing. He calls this idea orbital computing and the big takeaway for engineers is that one can switch the state of an electron’s orbit 10,000 times faster than you can switch the state of a transistor used in computing today."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast